Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short sighted to put the charging port on the rear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could have a more basic explanation, for instance the location of the car's chargers (under the rear seats). It may simply have made more sense to locate the port where they did rather than re-engineer an awful lot more to move chargers, cables etc. nearer to the front.

I was just about the make the same point! Cable length from the charge port to the chargers(s) could also be an issue, especially for Supercharging. If the port was up front, it would probably mean sacrificing frunk space for the charger(s).

I fully understand that wire and a charge port costs money, but TWO charge ports (front & rear corners) makes the most sense to me if Tesla wants to accommodate driver preferences and the various locations of power access points.

But that's like saying my gas tank should have a filler neck on both sides of the car so I can pull up on either side of a gas pump.

I see Teslas charging at the free Chargepoint EVSE's a lot of times around town. I guess when there is a will there is a way.

I wish the OP or the Mods would change the title to something like "inconvenient to some people". It was clearly thought through by the engineers and designers at Tesla and I think the whole design is rather elegant and not short sighted.

Tesla designed the charge port location on the assumption that 90% of all charging sessions are at home in your garage. Pull in, get out, grab HPWC plug, pop charge port door, plug in. All happening at the vehicle's driver side, where you need space anyway to get out.

What we really need is an automated or a robot assisted plug in when you pull in "your" spot. Hell, a lot of robotic lawn mowers and vacuum cleaners head to their charging station and plug in all on their own, why not Model S.

I think the port placement on the Model S is better than this:
180207652-1500-660x440.jpg

One would bend a lot plugging into it. However Wired thinks it's cool: This Audi Has the Coolest EV Port Weve Ever Seen | Autopia | Wired.com

Tesla designed the charge port location on the assumption that 90% of all charging sessions are at home in your garage. Pull in, get out, grab HPWC plug, pop charge port door, plug in. All happening at the vehicle's driver side, where you need space anyway to get out.
Volker: I agree that the left-side placement makes sense in terms of proximity to the drivers side door and the room necessary to get out, but when there are two EVs in a double garage, the charging cord or UMC would either have to be hung from the ceiling, the driver would have to back in or the cord / charger placed on the right wall of the garage would create a trip hazard. I'm still in favor of two ports.

So far, in just about every instance of charging, it would be more convenient to have it on the right side of the vehicle (charging port) then the left. I was really interested in putting in a curb size charging port, which will still work, but having the UMC sticking out the street size of the vehicle, I can just imagine the repair bill when someone clips it driving by.

If I pull into my parking space, I can't exit the car!!! My Volt can't utilize the space where I park my Tesla because the Blink won't reach the charge port. The charge port location for my Tesla works quite well for my parking spots and Blink Charger.
Garage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The location for the Tesla charge port works quite well for EvGo chargers.
EvGo.jpg