Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short Term Home Charging Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Just need some advice. I am going to be needing to charge from home but I live in a newly built (4 years) mid terraced property with an allocated parking space. My allocated space is adjacent to my back garden and is around 18 metres (20 yards) from my patio doors. I'm not planning on living here really long term and so am loathed to install a proper wall box charger. However, will be needing some sort of charging at home.

Would you recommend I simply have a 3 pin weather proof plug installed on the wall in the back garden or one of those Commando sockets to provide me with some faster charging? And is this even possible?

Since UK standard is 230V, how many amps can you pull on your outdoor circuit? The included universal mobile charger (at least in the US) can handle up to 32 Amps. That's all I use for my car (here is 240 v/ 50 amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 plug) and that charges at 8kW, which is fine for overnight charging.

You shouldn't need a dedicated wall charger.

I'm not planning on living here really long term and so am loathed to install a proper wall box charger. However, will be needing some sort of charging at home.

You say "not long term" but you don't have a clear timeline of when you are moving out.

If you own the place, then you reap some benefit of your investments when you sell. So if you spend $1,000 installing a weatherproof box, then probably no one will care, but if you spend $2-3k on installing a proper wall box then you can possibly get that money back when you sell it, and have use of it in the 1-3 years (?) that you will live there.

My allocated space is adjacent to my back garden and is around 18 metres (20 yards) from my patio doors.

18 meters (60 feet) is a long distance.

If you use extension cords, then you need to find a weatherproof enclosure (ex. plastic box) to plug in the Tesla cord. Extension cords are very expensive the more amps you put through them.

If you install the wall box, then you need to mount it on a post with a trench going 60 feet to your house.

Since UK standard is 230V, how many amps can you pull on your outdoor circuit? The included universal mobile charger (at least in the US) can handle up to 32 Amps. That's all I use for my car (here is 240 v/ 50 amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 plug) and that charges at 8kW, which is fine for overnight charging.

You shouldn't need a dedicated wall charger.

16A but unless you use a gen 1 umc with three phase adapter the umc will only allow 13A.