Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, we go through this every few months. There are a billion reasons you might sell shares. Selling is a very uninteresting insider trade.

I first discounted George Blankenship's stock sale assuming that it was just a small percentage (ie., 10-20%) of his total holdings. But after researching and finding that it's over 50% of his total stock option compensation package, it strikes me as very odd for him to sell that much now. Usually, you might liquidate slowly over the years. But he exercised pretty much 90% of the shares he could (options that had vested and were exercisable) and sold them all. If it was a less important executive, it wouldn't be as puzzling. But George B is a major voice/face for Tesla... doing interviews, writing blogs, emails, etc. And to know he recently sold over half his stake in Tesla...

Just puzzling.

@gaswalla - Diversification is one way to protect assets (not necessarily the only way). Also I wouldn't consider it "good" financial advice for an advisor to have him liquidate over half his stake in Tesla. We'll see what his former 139k shares are worth in 5 years.

Last edited:
also, remember, as an insider he can't just sell because he feels like it; he has to specify months in advance of his "trading plan". Maybe he decided early this year that he wanted a nicer house, so he said "July 1 I'll sell x,000 shares at market", and like us, he was surprised that this was worth a lot more than he needed.

With regards to GB's trading: he's been very, very absent publically in the last months. He wasn't there at the swapping event from what I could see, not at the last supercharging event either. No blog posts, no activity on this board. Before he was always standing next to Elon at every event. Is he quitting? Maybe he did but has a certain quaratine time in his contract, before he can go work for someone else? Maybe he's sick (hope not)?

DaveT, $450K/year is nothing to snooze about, but it isn't "FU" money, or enough to retire on.
Maybe George would like to retire soon, and you can live nicely off the interest of $12 million, even if he can only get a %2 yield, that's $240K/year. Also, George's history is he shows up, sets up the retail operations then moves on to the next company (GAP, Apple, Tesla). Maybe it's time to move on or retire, you can't fault the man for cashing out, we don't know what his plans are.

Here is a nearly 3 year old interview with him:
From GAP to the electric car: Tesla’s George Blankenship | VentureBeat

You forgot ONE important company:
He did the same with Microsoft:
2009-2010

Maybe we can move that to a separate thread, since this IMHO seems key to the current stock or company developement/strategy.

What happened to George B?

(last activity shows June 26-where was that? anyone saw him recently?)

With regards to GB's trading: he's been very, very absent publically in the last months. He wasn't there at the swapping event from what I could see, not at the last supercharging event either. No blog posts, no activity on this board. Before he was always standing next to Elon at every event. Is he quitting? Maybe he did but has a certain quaratine time in his contract, before he can go work for someone else? Maybe he's sick (hope not)?

I made these same observations. He was not at the Swap demo. Maybe he is nursing a sick mother or similar. Family often takes precedence. Will he be at Teslive? He always mingles with customers at Tesla events.

I made these same observations. He was not at the Swap demo. Maybe he is nursing a sick mother or similar. Family often takes precedence. Will he be at Teslive? He always mingles with customers at Tesla events.

He could be in Europe and Asia, doing ownership events there. Don't read into the options exercise too much, we've been here before and it's all part of a predetermined financial structure.

Disposition by Matthew Ira Ehrnepreis (or whatever his name is) is much larger than GB sale. I don't care, such is the nature of things.

Absence of GB?
What is his job and background? Real estate acquisition- good, be absent, go work and grow the ecar, stay in the background.
Find more sales centers, more and larger service centers, SC locations...

I would not minimize GB's efforts for the company. Also, from some email exchanges I have had with GB I do not feel he is going anywhere soon. Never asked, or felt it was my place to ask, the question directly but would be VERY surprised if he left. I think he wants to see the development of more stores through.

I can't blame him for taking some $$$ now. If I were in his position I would take it. His sale at $92 still gives him 'F U' money. only so much money you can spend in a lifetime or so many generations you can make financially safe.

Wow, first time closing above $120 ever. $120.09.

Folks, it's been an amazing ride. Don't know what to say.

Cool, my $5,000 fee for becoming a founder of TESLIVE is more than paid off by today's gain, except I am not cashing out any shares any time soon.

Actually I bet many investors here would be able to afford the $5k for becoming a founder from today's gain. Who cares to start counting by +1?

Who is going to TESLIVE next week?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.