Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't do that. The shorts are being squeezed today, and it would take weeks to clear them all out.

- - - Updated - - -

The shorts appear to be covering.

- - - Updated - - -

That's quite possible.

I highly doubt that the shorts will be running for the doors for an extended period of time. We are still several dollars away from the all time high, and the shorts know that we need significant news to break past $40. I think that the stock will probably drop tomorrow along with the market.. If the shorts were really scared then we would be seeing a lot more volume

$37.70+ I wonder if it's because of Norway.

We'll never know.

Most of the day's gains came during the first hour or trading, long before the Norway event. Perhaps there was some anticipation. There was definitely another bump upward after that event. Keep in mind that the Geneva car show officially opens tomorrow. Traders may be expecting TSLA to benefit from that.

Personal opinion: The markets are too high right now; even Nasdaq is at a 12 year high, it hasn't been there since the tech bubble burst IIRC and common sense says that there must be some retrenchment sometime soon. As a volatile (for many people "high risk") stock TSLA is always likely to move faster than the market in both directions. I don't predict a crash, but I'll wager that we'll see TSLA at $33 again before we see it at $40.

Personal opinion: The markets are too high right now; even Nasdaq is at a 12 year high, it hasn't been there since the tech bubble burst IIRC and common sense says that there must be some retrenchment sometime soon. As a volatile (for many people "high risk") stock TSLA is always likely to move faster than the market in both directions. I don't predict a crash, but I'll wager that we'll see TSLA at $33 again before we see it at $40.

I'm in this camp as well; although the FED is a tough fight;

I sold half of my short-term at 36.64 yesterday... In hind sight it was for sure premature but I didn't expect this run up to keep going like it has. So if it does go back down at least I realized some capital gains unlike after the NYT article and after the CC in which cases I was still all in.

Nigel's wise. I pulled all of my short-term investment in TSLA at 37.79 making a good profit in the process.

agree- ditto here at $38.5; also lowered some exposure at $36 to make room for a J15 LEAPS buy on the first downswing to $33s; Still have a good long position, but looking for that downdraft to increase back to 100% (presently running about 60% level)

The consensus seems nearly unanimous here regarding selling now and buying on a dip. The crowd is usually wrong. The market often laughs at hopes, wishes and even common sense.

Money managers and market newsletter writers who missed the general market run-up since mid-November are calling for a correction. They were doing this throughout the nineties while I was interviewing them on my financial TV show in Chicago. Their wait was for a very long time.

The market normally doesn’t give the majority what they want. Regarding the overall market, it’s rarely wise to fight the Fed. Regarding TSLA, it may well be that you already had your dip and buying opportunity during late February.

• Love
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The consensus seems nearly unanimous here regarding selling now and buying on a dip. The crowd is usually wrong. The market often laughs at hopes, wishes and even common sense.

When I sold what I did I thought the consensus was it was going straight up to $40 (and after that there was disagreement). That's why I only sold half of my short term shares. If it did keep going up my long term and the half of my short term would still benefit me. Oh and just so everyone knows, I'm still new to this stock thing. In the past I've only messed with mutual funds.

Money managers and market newsletter writers who missed the general market run-up since mid-November are calling for a correction. They were doing this throughout the nineties while I was interviewing them on my financial TV show in Chicago. Their wait was for a very long time.

The market normally doesn’t give the majority what they want. Regarding the overall market, it’s rarely wise to fight the Fed. Regarding TSLA, it may well be that you already had your dip and buying opportunity during late February.

I think most of us are comfortable making our decisions based on our knowledge of the company and our investing style. I am. It's worked out quite well so far.

I can see that point of view - not where I am - per bonnie and other comments, but you may prove right - sounds like you should be buying big time here; exercise your belief system

I don't think there is consensus here.

I strongly recommend "buy and hold" for most people. Only a small percentage of people have the time and skills to win over the long haul by constantly trading.

TSLA shares are going to be volatile for a long time. This is a company that is selling a very disruptive product that goes against nearly all the conventional wisdom in the car industry. The buying and selling is almost guaranteed to be irrational in the short term.

Even if you sell close to the top of a cyclical swing, then the question becomes when to buy back in. If you sell at $38 and it goes down to $34, do you hold out for $33, and if you do, will you miss out on a 10% run-up like happened this week. Then once the run-up happens, do you sit on your hands and hope for it to go back down to $36?

Much more comfortable to believe in the technology and the global business case and buy & hold for the long run.

Even if you sell close to the top of a cyclical swing, then the question becomes when to buy back in. If you sell at $38 and it goes down to $34, do you hold out for $33, and if you do, will you miss out on a 10% run-up like happened this week. Then once the run-up happens, do you sit on your hands and hope for it to go back down to $36?

Much more comfortable to believe in the technology and the global business case and buy & hold for the long run.

That's fine, but then I think you are in the wrong thread.

I'm trimming for the first time today since before the conference call. I have some gains from buying this dip I want to lock in. I don't see any reason why we should be able to break through resistance here when we failed to previously. Nothing meaningful has changed. In fact, I think perception is worse (whether justified or not).

I'm holding on to plenty incase I'm wrong, but rooting for another pull back after today.

Status
Not open for further replies.