Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow is all I can say. I had an order in an took it off the table because I was scared it was going to go through $175. After it started to bounce I put the order back and the call went up $1 in seconds. If I would of left my order I would of exactly caught the bottom. Man what a crazy hour

“Yesterday, a Model S collided with a large metallic object in the middle of the road, causing significant damage to the vehicle. The car’s alert system signaled a problem and instructed the driver to pull over safely, which he did. No one was injured, and the sole occupant had sufficient time to exit the vehicle safely and call the authorities. Subsequently, a fire caused by the substantial damage sustained during the collision was contained to the front of the vehicle thanks to the design and construction of the vehicle and battery pack. All indications are that the fire never entered the interior cabin of the car. It was extinguished on-site by the fire department.” From Tesla. Im buying back :D

I am concerned why the battery catch fire? This is the very first instance of Telsa on fire!

Judging TSLA's stock movement today, it looks like the car fire accident definitely played fears. That buy back from $175 going up to $180+ was crazy. I didn't have time to pull funds and buy the dip because I was busy working on cleaning my car (I hate it when I'm pre-occupied with something I missed out on something good). But this dip wasn't the dip I was looking for. I'm still waiting for the GS dip... that is if it ever comes. Today was definitely a day trader's dream. I wanted to buy puts earlier on in the day but didn't realize that fire brewing Tesla car would drop the stock some more. I was looking at $180 puts, and it was around $2. Now I see it's around $4. Could've made a nice double. Oh wells.

I know someone will put a punk on this!

Alright, so it is not the battery catching the fire? What else can burn like that? Rubber, plastic? Metal does not burn. And how could it started?

12V battery? I know Aluminum Oxcide can burn quite well, but no clue from chemistry point of view if one could make that in a crash with metallic object. Then again the speculation is on another thread and one option listed is the battery pack getting damaged and venting heat through safety system to the front of the car.

Now I have to rethink my laptop placement in the frunk though ;)

Nice panic today. This will test the mettle of longs, and provide brave souls an opportunity to go long at prices that might not be seen again. Glad Tesla made a statement, though I'd prefer to see a much stronger more definitive statement. Hopefully that is forthcoming as they learn more information.

“Yesterday, a Model S collided with a large metallic object in the middle of the road, causing significant damage to the vehicle. The car’s alert system signaled a problem and instructed the driver to pull over safely, which he did. No one was injured, and the sole occupant had sufficient time to exit the vehicle safely and call the authorities. Subsequently, a fire caused by the substantial damage sustained during the collision was contained to the front of the vehicle thanks to the design and construction of the vehicle and battery pack. All indications are that the fire never entered the interior cabin of the car. It was extinguished on-site by the fire department.” From Tesla. Im buying back :D

A gasoline car would have exploded and roasted the guy. He must be thanking God and Tesla!

I am concerned why the battery catch fire? This is the very first instance of Telsa on fire!

Kevin,

The main battery probably did not catch fire... there's plenty of junk up front (upholstery in the frunk, wiring, tires, plastic, etc) to have caught fire. If the main battery had caught fire it would have been challenging for the crew to arrest quickly for a large Lithium-ion battery, and it would have been violent. Gasoline cars catch fire all the time in accidents. But still, this certainly puts a first blemish for Tesla. Will this affect future sales? Not sure yet. But Mr. Musk will do the right thing, I am sure of that.

Well, of course Tesla (or any company) would be expected to put the most positive spin on it, but assuming this is true, this could actually be a blessing in disguise in that it highlights the safety of the Tesla (warning to pull over, interior of cabin was safe, etc.). The only thing that's a little fishy is, if I collided with an object that caused significant damage to my car, I wouldn't need an alert to tell me there's a problem and I should pull over. But I guess the fact that the car HAS an alert system telling you to pull over is the takeaway here. If an ICE car catches on fire, the only warning will be the smoke (or explosion).

Ironically, the proprietor of my company is know as the least tech savvy person, who can cause computers, etc. to crash just by looking at them. Guess where he was/is when this all went down -- at the Tesla store buying a Tesla. Somehow, someway, I know he is responsible!

As for the stock, unloaded my hedge (Weekly 185P) a little too early, unfortunately, but kept Weekly 165P in place, just in case of catastrophe. Needless to say, they had a nice jump today, but wanted something in place in case of emergency. Then picked up more shares at 180. But don't listen to me, because I'm amateur-hour guy here.

So, anybody with a prediction of what's going to happen tomorrow all the way up until the end of the week? I'm thinking it'll hover around $175-185 before we get another "upgrade" from GS that would probably drop the stock down to $160 ish sometime in this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.