Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only if it's confirmed that the fire was a result of a cascade failure of the main battery pack. Evidence so far is consistent with that, but it is also consistent with some other possible causes as well.
No, it's not. You're welcome to your opinion but now your own facts. I've seen no data presented thus far that supports "cascade failure of the main battery pack".

Why is everyone over reacting and acting as if the sky is falling? We held the 20-day SMA very nicely, and had a modest 5%-10% drop from the ATH, (after having made new ATH almost every day for 10 days).
Lets be calm, even if it drops another $20, that still means we are only 20% from the ATH. Great place to buy. the 20-day SMA is at $175, I'll be looking to load up then, and then the Bollinger bands show the lower part of the drop-off at $155. If it hits $155 I'm going to just go nuts, sell everything I can, and put it all into short-term calls, because that's an impossible gift! We are about 1 month away from the 3Q results.
People just need to stay calm instead of over-reacting to the drop to $180. It wasn't too long ago that this was a new ATH. We have been saying on this board that the dip was long due, and that it would be a great place to enter.
IMH if we don't bounce back tomorrow, we could see a slow down drift/flat trading till the end of the week, in which case I'll be loading up on Friday as the IV comes down on options because next week we are going to start another epic $30 run in anticipation of Q3.

Not sure everyone is overreacting. I think all that participate in this thread thought that a correction would come. I thought it would be from GS report/recommendation. I agree there is no need for panic and it presents a good buying opportunity going into Q3 ER and guidance. The anxiety comes from people not knowing where the short term bottom might be as everyone wants to buy low/sell high (or hold after buying low). I know my brother and several of his fairly affluent friends have been looking for a buy in opportunity. I think he/his friends might actually get in...I have been bugging him since TSLA passed $50.

I do not believe the 'fire' is the black swan event everyone fears but the short term publicity/unfortunate timing with a downgrade report on the same day made this a tough day for TSLA. ...and there may be another tough day tomorrow until the dust settles.

Long term..little has changed (but this is the 'short term' thread)

- - - Updated - - -

Why is everyone over reacting and acting as if the sky is falling? We held the 20-day SMA very nicely, and had a modest 5%-10% drop from the ATH, (after having made new ATH almost every day for 10 days).
Lets be calm, even if it drops another $20, that still means we are only 20% from the ATH. Great place to buy. the 20-day SMA is at $175, I'll be looking to load up then, and then the Bollinger bands show the lower part of the drop-off at $155. If it hits $155 I'm going to just go nuts, sell everything I can, and put it all into short-term calls, because that's an impossible gift! We are about 1 month away from the 3Q results.
People just need to stay calm instead of over-reacting to the drop to $180. It wasn't too long ago that this was a new ATH. We have been saying on this board that the dip was long due, and that it would be a great place to enter.
IMH if we don't bounce back tomorrow, we could see a slow down drift/flat trading till the end of the week, in which case I'll be loading up on Friday as the IV comes down on options because next week we are going to start another epic $30 run in anticipation of Q3.

Nobody is simply reacting to the dip. They are reacting to the unexpected surfacing of a video with some powerful imagery that has the potential to drive some dramatic and irrational negative sentiment around the product and stock. It is an unknown quantity. Many here were braced for a dip due to an analyst downgrade or technical movement. Nobody wanted a dip under these circumstances.

Sigh... I wish people acted more like the rational agents that economists etc. assume in their models. Then they would see this fire thing isn't such a big deal.
I'm kind of glad they don't. It would be harder to make money off of them.

Making money off people overreacting with their stock investments is far less troublesome as a stupidity tax than profiting from the poor via lotteries. At least, I think that as I write this. I reserve the right to change my mind in an hour though. :)

Well WA requires front plates, though the fire kind of covers that up.
But i would highly doubt that a Team of shorts came together, bought a tesla, set it a blaze, and filmed it with a ****** cell phone camera.
Tesla will pull the black box info and get down to this for us.
Do we have a betting line on this one at one of the gambling sites yet? Sounds like a great way to make some money of conspiracy nuts as well. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Why is everyone over reacting and acting as if the sky is falling?
Can you cite some examples? At best I see maybe 3 or 4 overreactions, which doesn't qualifies as even a rough approximation for "everyone" even if the least-read threads on TMC.

I can't even read the comments on the Stock Forums anymore. The stock shorters are jumping on this and acting like it's the end of Tesla. It's quite disturbing to hear so much ignorance in one place. Most of it coming from ONE guy... I just hope normal people (and they seem to be) know the motivation behind all those kinds of comments. These jerks just want the stock to fall so they can get IN. It's all a bunch of BS. Either that or there are some real TROLLS out there who have it in for Tesla. This sucks. Reminds of all the crap I heard when I bought Apple stock back in the day. You wouldn't believe how much BS was flying around... Why does there always have to be ignorant jerkoffs who campaign against the products I love?

Interesting how just the "frunk" is on fire, not the bottom, where the batteries are. Goes to tell you that the batteries didn't cause the fire. Also, shows how well insulated/cooled/controlled the battery pack really is! That said, I can't recall anything in the frunk that can go up in flames. What was the person doing? Let me guess... that was a massive TSLA short person!!! hmmmmmm.... I wonder!!!

Interesting how just the "frunk" is on fire, not the bottom, where the batteries are. Goes to tell you that the batteries didn't cause the fire. Also, shows how well insulated/cooled/controlled the battery pack really is! That said, I can't recall anything in the frunk that can go up in flames. What was the person doing? Let me guess... that was a massive TSLA short person!!! hmmmmmm.... I wonder!!!

You have to admit, the timing is pretty suspect... It would be easy enough to set something on fire in the Frunk and claim it started from the collision. /shrug.

Nobody is simply reacting to the dip. They are reacting to the unexpected surfacing of a video with some powerful imagery that has the potential to drive some dramatic and irrational negative sentiment around the product and stock. It is an unknown quantity. Many here were braced for a dip due to an analyst downgrade or technical movement. Nobody wanted a dip under these circumstances.

+1000! I am not bothered by analysts trying to bump the stock down my downgrading or saying the value should be at some random low number. But bad press from a fire, regardless of whether it was the battery, has the potential to do some real damage. The crash test results probably got a lot of "safety first" mom's to agree to a purchase. Fears of fires, real or not, can hurt sales and investments.

+1000! I am not bothered by analysts trying to bump the stock down my downgrading or saying the value should be at some random low number. But bad press from a fire, regardless of whether it was the battery, has the potential to do some real damage. The crash test results probably got a lot of "safety first" mom's to agree to a purchase. Fears of fires, real or not, can hurt sales and investments.

I doubt it's going to do much permanent damage. I think most people are rational enough to know that cars catch on fire all the time (hundreds of thousands of times in ICE cars) and that nobody was hurt and that the car even warned them. That video is getting a lot of attention because it's the first really negative visual the haters could point to and say "see? it's not the great car everyone says it is". It is what it is. I think most rational people will wait to see what actually caused the fire before they "freak" out. ;)

I doubt it's going to do much permanent damage. I think most people are rational enough to know that cars catch on fire all the time (hundreds of thousands of times in ICE cars) and that nobody was hurt and that the car even warned them. That video is getting a lot of attention because it's the first really negative visual the haters could point to and say "see? it's not the great car everyone says it is". It is what it is. I think most rational people will wait to see what actually caused the fire before they "freak" out. ;)

I agree. Long term this is a great car, company and stock but short term a momentum stock can be driven by irrational people. That makes it hard to predict short term price changes for all of us on this forum.

I have scraped together as much cash as possible to go in...question is..at what point

although I don't have any statisics, I think ICE vehicles are more prone to catch fire than a Tesla vehicle/QUOTE]

Statistics do exist for this. Something like 200k car fires happen per year in the US, which makes up ~.1% of the US vehicle fleet. At that rate you would expect 1/1,000 of Teslas to catch fire per year. This has not happened, and therefore the rate is lower.

The rate of fires, by the way, is actually higher with certain high-performace vehicles. Ferraris and Lamborghinis are particularly susceptible to fire, and the 458 was even recalled for a fire issue because LOTS of them caught on fire (way more than 1/1,000 per year).

Status
Not open for further replies.