Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

If this isn't a hoax or something, then this just looks like a person who bought a car in California and had it sent to China. The price is probably either made up (by the guy, so he can look like a baller?), or includes everything he paid for the car, including taxes and shipping and so on. But still I can't imagine it's the latter, there's no way those numbers add up. Or maybe someone just mistranslated or a typo or something.

I think the car was imported from the US
When I read stuff like this (large numbers for a single vehicle), part of me wishes there was a follow-up story that he/she actually bought two of them and is going to "overclock" the second one.

- - - Updated - - -

The referenced article from the link, put through Microsoft Translator:
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Ftech.ifeng.com%2Fit%2Fdetail_2013_10%2F17%2F30416345_0.shtml

I don't know what I can trust from the translation but the article title says "2.5 million dollars" but the article content says "2.5 million yuan". Random converter from the web says 2.5 million Yuan is approximation $400k. This number (US $400k) isn't all that surprising to me if he optioned it up, dealt with transport, regulations, etc.

My thought is that a CEO in the position he is in should basically never "declare a favorite" target market at all. What he did by saying that was:

1) "Offend" all the other markets that Tesla operates in and make analysts question how much supply of product will be allocated to each of those markets.
2) Paint a giant, red bullseye on Elon's back because he has now personally offended the egos of the real Tesla competitors (not downmarket EV's with 40 mile range) -- who makes the best luxury sedans in the world? BMW, Mercedes, Audi/VW. We all know this is the competition for the Model S and Model X. Where before these companies were uncomfortable but probably respected Elon as an engineer and futurist, now they are forced to target him and hit back. And hit back they can from a marketing standpoint. I still don't think they will be able to build a car that competes with the Model S legitimately for another 4-5 years, but if and when they realize this they will hit even harder. And I think it was too early to "declare victory" over Germany yet, which it seemed like he did with this comment.
3) The rest of the market-moving reveals he made there were done in a sloppy speech. Those kind of reveals to date from Tesla have been slow, methodical and careful, using holistic marketing campaigns that combine news outreach, social media, and carefully-crafted blog posts and press releases. Imagine if Elon's response to the fire had been over beers in some bar, picked up on a smartphone like this Germany show was. The market would have punished him hard.

I also didn't like allowing AT&T to claim they had a "partnership" with Tesla when they are really just a supplier like any other. It's mixing brand identities.

Basically, what I am seeing are "rookie mistakes" of a CEO transitioning from a startup, to a maturing company. I am still confident Elon can handle the transition, but I see evidence of goofs here and there, goofs that I think he needs to surround himself with smart people in order to prevent in the future. No CEO can be good at everything, and the best ones realize this and hire other smart people to make up for their shortcomings.

I'm still long Elon, but I think the man needs some marketing/PR/Investor Relations reinforcements.

P.S. Elon, if you want to hire me to consult, let me know :).

Respectfully disagree, all day long, every day.

He may have offended you, but he didn't offend me or anyone I know. As has been pointed out to you, he never stated Germany as his 'favorite' market, but he certainly acknowledged its importance to Tesla (particularly in the moment/near future) just as he acknowledged the importance of the US market, the Norwegian market, the Japanese market, the Chinese market...

Mr. Musk has been wearing the red bullseye on his back, on his front, on his head...for years. He's not shy. His fuel cell comment alone should make that clear to all. If as a recipient of his comments he makes you uncomfortable then you likely have a reason to feel uncomfortable. I applaud his honesty, his brashness, his sometimes lightly filtered comments. There's never any guessing where he stands on an issue and that trait ranks real high on my importance list. I'm sick to death of that slimely, sly, pc, beat around the bush, political dancing, mumbo jumbo that comes out of so many people's mouth's nowadays. You can't believe what comes out nor take them at their word.

So, no thanks. While I'm confident you're good at your profession, Mr. Musk doesn't need to be PR managed and the world doesn't need to be brainwashed by it. They need to be told the God's honest truth. He needs to just keep being himself. Those that want to get in a huff and all offended should go right ahead because they were going to anyway.

From an investment point of view, never forget the ultimate goal of Tesla. When you keep that in mind, you'll not be surprised or upset by such events as Munich.

if I wanted to buy some more TSLA if it hits $160.00. How would one do that? Is there a way to automatically make that happen or do you simply have to sit and watch and wait and then pounce? I'm obviously not much of a stock trader (only second stock I ever purchased). :D

One of the options to buy, instead of market price, is a limit order. Set a "limit order" that only triggers under 160. If the price is not under the limit order for buying, or over the limit order for selling, the order will not be executed.

if I wanted to buy some more TSLA if it hits $160.00. How would one do that? Is there a way to automatically make that happen or do you simply have to sit and watch and wait and then pounce? I'm obviously not much of a stock trader (only second stock I ever purchased). :D

If you have investible funds with TDAmeritrade or another brokerage house many times you can do it all on line. In my particular situation, if I wished to buy say 100 shares of TSLA at $160/share. I would put in an 'on line' order on my TDAMeritrade home page. I would enter the stock symbol, maximum I wanted to pay ($160) and how long I am willing to wait to have the trade made...usually I would just do it for the time the NYSE is open for 1 day. If the stock fell to $160 then TD would find a 'seller' and I would get a notification that the transaction went through. Hope that helps

Cool. I knew it was something like that... I'll call my broker. I think we may be seeing the last of the 160's, once the quarterly report happens. ;)

Except I wouldn't do $160.00. If it touches $160 your order likely won't get filled or TSLA is going right through $160 and you may wish your order didn't get filled. I would do at least $160.20 (today's low was 160.15) or even do 161 or 162 something if you really want it. If $160 is the most you want to pay then I'd put in a limit less than $160.

My 2 cents (TSLA was the first stock I've ever bought so take all this for what it's worth)

Except I wouldn't do $160.00. If it touches $160 your order likely won't get filled or TSLA is going right through $160 and you may wish your order didn't get filled. I would do at least $160.20 (today's low was 160.15) or even do 161 or 162 something if you really want it. If $160 is the most you want to pay then I'd put in a limit less than $160.

My 2 cents (TSLA was the first stock I've ever bought so take all this for what it's worth)

Good advice. Thanks. :)

Some food for thought:

We are just under the channel, if it is expanded to the extremes of the movement since 5/8/13

bfnpjkhG.png

I have some January $170 calls I've been sitting on for some time. My original thought at the time of purchase was to sell at Q3 Earnings. The past few weeks have given me pause. Then the notion struck that two months plus is a long time on the Tesla clock.

Between now and the expirations of my calls..........

1. Q3 earnings report.

2. Substantive buildout of the Supercharging system.

3. The Musk family road trip.

Thoughts, advice, suggestions???

I have some January $170 calls I've been sitting on for some time. My original thought at the time of purchase was to sell at Q3 Earnings. The past few weeks have given me pause. Then the notion struck that two months plus is a long time on the Tesla clock.

1. Q3 earnings report.

Buy and hold, Son, buy and hold...

Of course I know this is the wrong thread for that advice ;-)

Merrill Lynch is AWFUL!

my mom just called me. She has an acct with Merill Lynch and told her rep to buy just 100 shares of TSLA several months ago at my advice. At the time her rep told her she shouldn't but would put the order in for her. A couple months later, my mom looked at her statement casually and didnt see the shares so she called her rep who said he made a mistake (yeah right) and didn't buy it at that time so he apologizes and would honor her order and buy it for her with the price of the stock on the day of her original phone call.

so fast forward to today...she gets a long message in the afternoon (after the institutional sell off occurs from the ML report) from her ML broker saying that he got a report saying the stock could go down to $45 and he suggests she sell her 100 shares!
WTF??

1)This 100 shares represents less than 10% of my mom's portfolio with them
2)ML reps all over the country are probably being told to call their clients and recommend selling their small amounts of TSLA shares
and
3)they're calling their retail clients all after their institutional clients sold to push the price down further

1. Q3 earnings report.

All good thoughts. Try to migrate them out to jan 2015 calls at about 200 to 210 strikes longer time higher price but you are 15 months out

Status
Not open for further replies.