Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It might have been down ~3.6% but now down ~4.8% on Nasdaq premarket just under 116.

I have a buy limit order set in the low 100s but I might have to go even lower at this rate.

Here's the reason why it's down, the headlines:

"Fed open probe into Tesla fires"

The fact that it's being requested by Tesla is completely ignored, the headlines give the impression that now that there is a formal investigation, something must be wrong...

Here's the reason why it's down, the headlines:

"Fed open probe into Tesla fires"

The fact that it's being requested by Tesla is completely ignored, the headlines give the impression that now that there is a formal investigation, something must be wrong...

Well now that the bots are misfiring on the headline search tags we might indeed call this a buying opportunity, the only question is how far lower is the bottom, but for longer term investment it shouldn't really matter as I think getting past $120 in a timeframe of ~1 year should be a non-issue. But for short term movements it's interesting to see how this plays out when the market opens and people with heads instead of keyword searchers start to trade en masse.

Stay cool guys. If you're in this for the long haul, there isn't really any problem here. Tesla has extended the battery pack warranty to include accidents like the two highway fires we have seen the last months. So this should alleviate the risk of customers being skeptical of buying Tesla's cars due to fears of fire risk. The panic here is due to the stock market crash, not anything fundamental that has changed. If the stock was still in the 150s, people wouldn't be running around with their hair on fire. This is an emotional and a sentiment issue, not anything related to fundamentals.

Of course, it hurts like hell if you have been speculating the wrong way in options. But options plays are at best a slightly better than 50-50 proposition, and everyone doing it should be well aware of the risks. Please think 5 years out from now. Investment requires long-term thinking. This *is* the short-term thread I suppose, but I hope you can all see the bigger picture.

The one thing which has stumped me, is the degree to which the media and pundits have jumped on this. It's remarkable how many people want to see Tesla fail. I don't do conspiracy theories, but it is truly fascinating. People are in this with a degree of emotional engagement I have never seen before. Maybe some older and wiser stock market participants could provide examples of similar events before? This amount of emotional investors is a magnificent opportunity if you are good at timing sentiment. Emotion leads to greed, panic and irrational decisions, which leads to good opportunities.

Though the fact that Elon puts now Fire under warranty might be considered also as a liability for the company by those who think it's a substantial risk and high occurrence event as Tesla would now have to cover a totaled vehicle for every fire as it's unlikely the car would be repairable. We know that likely the liability is marginal, but it's a liability still. Though if it's one in 6500 cars at ASP $100k, then it's $15 per car sold and should have no impact on GM as it's less than rounding errors QoQ.

Though the fact that Elon puts now Fire under warranty might be considered also as a liability for the company by those who think it's a substantial risk and high occurrence event as Tesla would now have to cover a totaled vehicle for every fire as it's unlikely the car would be repairable. We know that likely the liability is marginal, but it's a liability still. Though if it's one in 6500 cars at ASP $100k, then it's $15 per car sold and should have no impact on GM as it's less than rounding errors QoQ.

While true, I totally get it but product faith, cheaper insurance goal, and it shows the commitment of Tesla. Absolutely incredible. Now I'm really curious about the service announcement.

Marvinatorz, a lot of people lost money on Tesla and you have to factor in the fact people don't like change and they don't really like billionaires.

Some of the response may also be due to Tesla expanding its warrantee to cover fires. Investors may be concerned about how that will affect profits.

Well if this policy had been in effect from day one, Tesla would have been out about $300,000 total ($100K/car). Extrapolate at will from there. Inconsequential in reality, perception is another matter.

And of course SA at its best. Sending out an alert on TSLA about the NHTSA investigation with zero mention of warranty or that the investigation was triggered by Tesla requesting it. I've put comments explaining both as two first comments so hopefully some will at least get both facts from there besides the FUD.

Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA): No fire drill: Tesla Motors Model S is subject of federal probe - Seeking Alpha

Copying here so you don't need to click:

No fire drill: Tesla Motors Model S is subject of federal probe

• The NHTSA says it will investigate the Tesla Motors (TSLA) Model S to determine if the model has an increased risk of fires.
  • The agency said the probe was triggered by two recent accidents involving the Model S which resulted in a fire.
  • TSLA -4.0% premarket to $116.76.

Is that really why the probe was triggered? I thought the probe was triggered because Tesla asked for the probe. Creative reporting.

Well the SA comments are claiming that this is Elon trying to put a spin on an investigation that was already starting and trying to make it look like it was pro-active plan from Tesla. Might not be entirely wrong, we'll never probably know how it was in the back channel chatter ;)

Well the SA comments are claiming that this is Elon trying to put a spin on an investigation that was already starting and trying to make it look like it was pro-active plan from Tesla. Might not be entirely wrong, we'll never probably know how it was in the back channel chatter ;)

Phil LeBeau on CNBC just reported that the NHTSA concluded it was necessary to carry out the probe. (rather than Tesla requesting it)

Well if this policy had been in effect from day one, Tesla would have been out about $300,000 total ($100K/car). Extrapolate at will from there. Inconsequential in reality, perception is another matter.

Actually 2 cars not 3. The car in Mexico was a high speed crash involving speed and not road debris. I don't see why Tesla would give a brand new car to a guy that totaled it by such a crash.

I am pretty sure the car was totaled before the fire actually started. Remember both front wheels were ripped apart and the car sliding on its belly then crashing in a concrete wall and then a three.

Status
Not open for further replies.