Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if you sell close to the top of a cyclical swing, then the question becomes when to buy back in. If you sell at $38 and it goes down to $34, do you hold out for $33, and if you do, will you miss out on a 10% run-up like happened this week. Then once the run-up happens, do you sit on your hands and hope for it to go back down to $36?
Yeah, that is a problem. Last fall I liquidated TSLA because I believed $33 was a local high. It did not stopped there, and for quite a long time shares were way above $35... I was patione(excuse my spelling, English etc - ESL and I don't remember how to spell that) and lucky enough to wait, dip had come and I got my position back at 32.85!

Before last Q4' 12 announcement I liquidated it again at around 38. Should I have waited till last day and get 39??? Price dropped, and remembering Autumn experience I as planned bought back 2 days later, at $36. Good? Excellent!!! But NigelM from around here, with way more experience then me, probably sold at $39 and was still waiting for buyback before price dropped till $34...

But I'm happy, I'm newbie, I mean I'm still learning stock market. Not that much experienced player. And only way I play TSLA part of my portfolio is because I'm a fan of Tesla. Watching stock daily, plus reading news and TMC forum daily. Other positions I simply invest long term... But Tesla is something I'm fan of. I could buy S... but there is a huge chance that I move out of North America in a year or two...

Before last Q4' 12 announcement I liquidated it again at around 38. Should I have waited till last day and get 39??? Price dropped, and remembering Autumn experience I as planned bought back 2 days later, at $36. Good? Excellent!!! But NigelM from around here, with way more experience then me, probably sold at $39 and was still waiting for buyback before price dropped till $34...
I don't do much short-term trading, but I'll brag on myself for this call. I sold half my position at $39.40 on Feb. 7 and bought back at $33.81 on the 27th. I kept my cash invested about the same, picking up 20% more shares. Complete luck to have had a standing a buy order at the absolute bottom of the intraday trading range.

I don't do much short-term trading, but I'll brag on myself for this call. I sold half my position at $39.40 on Feb. 7 and bought back at $33.81 on the 27th. I kept my cash invested about the same, picking up 20% more shares. Complete luck to have had a standing a buy order at the absolute bottom of the intraday trading range.

There is nothing to say about this other than, "Congrats!"

As someone said a long time ago on that now-closed investor discussions thread, TSLA is the gift that keeps on giving! Well played, Robert.

If I did the same within a 12-month period, I'd have to pay as much taxes as the gain, so I could buy back only as many shares. Still, I'd have to pay less taxes later on, but I'd have to start at the beginning of a new 12-month term. So not sure if that would get me much. I'd have to be lucky.

If I did the same within a 12-month period, I'd have to pay as much taxes as the gain, so I could buy back only as many shares. Still, I'd have to pay less taxes later on, but I'd have to start at the beginning of a new 12-month term. So not sure if that would get me much. I'd have to be lucky.

that's a good point- but of course that's an individual consideration. For example, taxes on short term gains can be less than long term if you have of other qualifying loss offsets (business losses, etc. but not Cap gains losses); others are trading in IRAs that don't carry any short term tax consequence at all

I have my TSLA holdings in my IRA. Regardless, I had held the shares I sold for more than 12 months.

this recent stock price rise has been a little surprising (in magnitude anyway); looks like at least some of it was induced by some short covering;

Thanks for the link, kenliles. Indeed that seems to be the case. Perhaps I was being hyperbolic when I used the term “squeeze” a few days ago, but short “covering” does seem to be taking place.

Europeans may be buying some TSLA due to the Geneva Motor Show and the Tesla Norway event.

What turned out to be the non-event of the slight delay in 10-K filing might actually have been helpful. It certainly helped discredit negative articles by John Petersen. In response to the 10-K, Jeffries reiterated its buy rating and $45 target on TSLA.

Also helpful may have been the announcement of the president’s visit next Friday to promote his alternative energy policy at the Joint Center for Energy Storage Research at the Argonne National Laboratory near Chicago.

yeah I agree all those things goosed it, then shorts needed to cover. A lot of them follow J Petersen (maybe fewer and fewer as he is continually wrong); In fact, I've never seen him to right about anything Tesla
hello to ChicagoLand!

I sold about half of my posistion in TSLA on friday hoping for a big pullback soon lol ..... I think TSLA will blow through its old high once we get close to them reporting profit for the first time but i am hoping for a big pull back soon so I can get some short term options soon... ... have never bought any options shorter than about 6 months but if we have a pullback soon going to get the April options and hope my instincts are right.

@blake - likely that your prediction will come true. q1 seems all about reaching profitability with making mostly high-end version (85s). But that will change in q2 as they will have to make more of 60 & 40. every 60 or 40 made in Q2 will mean 10 or 20k decline in Top line. Looks like the top line will not be smooth and likely cause pull back.

Anybody find what happened at Aagronne?

If you are referring to the Argonne National Laboratory and its Joint Center for Energy Storage Research, the president will be visiting there on Friday, March 15 to demonstrate his continued support. Here is a link to the November 30 press conference in which the US energy secretary announced the federal grant of $120 million to the JCESR project for the development of vastly improved batteries: [FONT=&amp]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1xEjxVZ1N4 [/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.