Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that product delays were generally viewed negatively by the broader markets. Who knows:confused:

I find it curious though that the stock price has crept back up though. There's really not been any groundbreaking news recently, at least not since the quarterly report. I kind of expected the price to stay between 33 and 37 until the end of the quarter. Then the speculators would get all excited about the pending 1Q 2013 report, driving up the price.

Maybe it is really that for some time after the Q4 report, there was a lot of trading by those who look mostly at the quarterly numbers. Now the share price returns to being determined more by the usual factors, including future outlook.

sold another option today still holding my breath for a big market pull back :). It would be a nice "problem" indeed if the stock does not fall before the earnings report but I sure hope it falls about 6 percent tommorow. I think I will hold onto my 3 remaining options unless we break 41 soon.

I suspect we are just in a range. I'd be quite impressed to see us break $40. I think a return to $35 is much more likely.

I'd be impressed if it breaks $40 as well. All the same, the psychology break points I've been playing for the past few months have basically played out. I'm extremely happy with my gains in the past few months and the last time we were up here I felt it was overvalued and cashed out.

That worked for me then, but this time it feels more like the stock is testing a newer, higher equilibrium as opposed to just riding a bubble of exuberance. I think this time I'm going to just see where the stock feels like going instead of trying to lock in my gains.

The realist in me says that a fall back to $35 (or lower) seems more likely than not, but my gut is telling me to put some steaks on the grill, light a cigar and give the stock an opportunity to break out.

I feel the same way, but I feel the overall market could be over bought so I cashed out this morning. I'll be looking to re-enter on market dips. If the dow were to give up 2000-3000 points that could bring TSLA into some great buying prices. Made about 15% on this last trade. Was able to pocket about 33% on the previous cycle about 1-2 months ago. Got a long way to go to pay for much of the MS85 I bought!!!

Did anyone else notice how the price for Tesla stock stayed almost perfectly flat at $39 for a long time today? Quite untypical. And it doesn´t seem that it was due to significantly lower volume than on a usual day.

At that point (near all time high) I would expect people to cash out (like a few posts here suggest, too). So who would be buying to keep the price flat? Shorts covering (after the amount of stock sold short was pretty high again looking at the numbers from the end of Feb)? And if that was so, wouldn´t that mean they are afraid it is not going to go to significantly lower levels any time soon?

Did anyone else notice how the price for Tesla stock stayed almost perfectly flat at $39 for a long time today? Quite untypical. And it doesn´t seem that it was due to significantly lower volume than on a usual day.

Depends on the chart you look at. Google data showed it flat, but the real reason was very low volume at that point in time. On this chart you can see it wasn't really flat:

Untitled.jpg

At that point (near all time high) I would expect people to cash out (like a few posts here suggest, too). So who would be buying to keep the price flat? Shorts covering (after the amount of stock sold short was pretty high again looking at the numbers from the end of Feb)? And if that was so, wouldn´t that mean they are afraid it is not going to go to significantly lower levels any time soon?

There were some swings early and again late today, hobbes, but as you say the price never strayed far from $39 for several hours during midday. Indeed, there must have been more than a few investors with acrophobia who were selling near that price, as evidenced by some of the testimony here. As you suggest those profit takers may have been matched by those covering short positions out of fear of further price rises, in addition to ordinary buyers believing TSLA has much more potential. Some of the greater volatility at either end of the session may have been induced through gamesmanship by shorts, particularly the party that bought a huge position in put options the day after the earnings report.

Perhaps longer term investors need not be too concerned. When a large number of traders feel it’s time to take profits in anticipation of repurchases at lower prices, yet are unable to depress prices much by their selling, those traders may eventually have to chase a stock that is running away on them.

Last edited:
Sold half of my position today at $39.30. Hoping for a dip to get back in. I have no crystal ball but as many of you have pointed out, I think a dip back to ~$35 is more likely than breaking $40 at this point.

Well, I might as well chime in and say I did the same. I was back and forth about whether or not to do so, but it just seemed to make sense in the end.

Will certainly be interesting to see if it breaches $40.

Side note - The Rachel Maddow Show covered Tesla's plans for early repayment of the DOE loan yesterday. Interesting to see the coverage they are getting these days.

I'm also considering selling half of my shares tomorrow, then buying back more if it dips? any thoughts. I don't see why it should break $40, unless everyone figures out how awesome they are.

Institutions that own TSLA stock but sold calls may want to keep pressuring the stock to remain under $40 before the options expiration on Friday. Perhaps running against them will be the president’s remarks on Friday in support of alternative energy programs when he visits the government funded battery research project at Argonne Labs. That could lead to interesting gyrations on Friday. Then on Monday the stock may be let loose to seek its proper height.

Status
Not open for further replies.