Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If at least half the shorts covered today (which is very plausible) then that means that <15M shares are now shorted, implying that the squeeze have already happened and we might be headed back down to $65 tomorrow.

Maybe not. How about those traders who just "know" it's overdone? As some shorts covered, new shorts took positions at higher numbers... Quite a likely scenario. "Fresh meat" for the grinder :)

Well i guess i made the wrong move. I sold at $72, the after that dip was going back up i bought back in at $72 only for it to end in the 68s after hours. looks like i am stuck in it for the long haul now.....

Be happy you were able to get your position back without paying extra for it. Most people here who have panic sold in the past have regretted it as they've had to buy in far higher, leaving a big gap of missing profits.

TSLA is going to be over $72 within the month, probably by tomorrow easily. Be happy. It punches up then slides back, then rally pasts and finds a new high and continues. This will continue.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel lucky to have bought a bunch of options today when it was at $69 and sold when it rallied to $75. Lucky.

I also dumped a few options earlier in the day when it was falling at $66.00 so that was stupid of me. Evens out?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, consider this a buying opportunity right now. I'm 100 shares at $69.00.

Didn't touch my shares, but sold options which I bought 2 days ago. They tanked yesterday, and I thought I had made quite a mistake (a good amount of money, though only a fraction of my shares). Today I sold them for more than twice the cost basis. Still have more options than I sold, however. I hope this won't tease me into risking too much with options in the future, though. :)

I'm not experienced in stocks at all. Today I've decided to sell TSLA for around 73, but the shares were stuck between 70 and 71 for a long time (12 - 1pm). So I've decided to sell just 200 shares at 71. And immediately the price moved up! Then it stuck at 72 for 5 minutes. I sold another 200 shares for 72, and the stock jumped to 73, where I sold the bulk of my stock.

I'm wondering, is that a coincidence? Can selling mere 200 shares move TSLA?

I'm not experienced in stocks at all. Today I've decided to sell TSLA for around 73, but the shares were stuck between 70 and 71 for a long time (12 - 1pm). So I've decided to sell just 200 shares at 71. And immediately the price moved up! Then it stuck at 72 for 5 minutes. I sold another 200 shares for 72, and the stock jumped to 73, where I sold the bulk of my stock.

I'm wondering, is that a coincidence? Can selling mere 200 shares move TSLA?

No, and selling lowers the price, not raises the price.

I do not belive half of the short have covered. Today was probably alot buying in, I will buy tomorow. And listening to all the trades done by ppl here, I think there can be alot done by ppl not shorting. I think alot of people shorted after 1.May, especially since it was not possible to short earlier today. I myself know ppl shorting a bunch yesterday.

There will no shares available to short listening to people in various places by this afternoon. Plenty of new shorts came in all over the place. If there's a significant movement up in the morning I wouldn't be surprised to see a chain reaction all the way up to $80 by noon. That's quite lofty but I wouldn't count anything out at this point.

Why all the hate for the shorts? They're betting one way and we're betting another way. They probably honestly believe that Tesla will fail. Is there a fundamental problem with believing a company will fail and shorting the stock?

It seems to me that they're either ill-informed or just not that smart. That doesn't seem to justify the hate I've seen in this thread. What am I missing?

Is there a fundamental problem with believing a company will fail and shorting the stock? It seems to me that they're either ill-informed or just not that smart. That doesn't seem to justify the hate I've seen in this thread. What am I missing?

1. No fundamental problem with shorting a company; just with shorting TSLA
2. I may have problems with ill-informed or dumb people (yes, even though I sometimes am myself)
3. There's no hatred. I just want their names to er... inform them! :redface:

Of course I will soon have to learn to love the shorts for pushing the price sky high!

(but seriously, all short-mocking from my part is in good jest)

Why all the hate for the shorts? They're betting one way and we're betting another way. They probably honestly believe that Tesla will fail. Is there a fundamental problem with believing a company will fail and shorting the stock?

It seems to me that they're either ill-informed or just not that smart. That doesn't seem to justify the hate I've seen in this thread. What am I missing?

You are right. of course.

I think the main reason is that there is a visionary/ethical aspect to the Tesla project. Historically, people with short positions have been taking to the airwaves talking down the future (and importance) of EV, talking down the challenges of climate change and promoting oil dependence. This may have irked people who have bought into Elon Musk's vision of not running "Russian roulette" chemical experiments with our biosphere.

So looking at today's chart it would appear the stock hit $70 and then bounced with resistance, climbed nicely back up to $75 eventually and triggered more sellers with the stock falling essentially the same percentage as it did earlier. AH volume is big for TSLA at around 120,000 already but pretty stable.

Tomorrow is an interesting day as it's Friday and I don't think people want to hold a poor short position into the weekend. Also, any early movement up will likely cause the many short sellers who bought between $72-$75 looking to take advantage of volatility and make a quick buck. Them becoming buyers could trigger a nice chain reaction and hopefully enough longs that wanted to be out by certain price points are out and the new buyers want to hold to $80 and beyond.

Hello... Hello... Hello... Hello...

Short Squeeze... Squeeze... Squeeze... Squeeze...

Going to 100... 100... 100... 100...

Margin Call... Call... Call... Call...

Sorry, just making sure this thread's echo chamber was still working. Yep, seems to be working great. :)

Seriously though, it is incredibly rare for a stock to pop 25+% on a single day, especially following the run that TSLA has had in the past few weeks. I hope many of you took the opportunity to take profits. I'm sensing a lot of irrational exuberance in this thread today. I would *love* to be wrong and see this thing run to 100 in the near term, but what I would *really like* is for the stock to stabilize and consolidate around a price range for a few weeks.

Please remember the old wall street saying:
"Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered!"

Though in TSLA's case the bears won't be making any money this time, turns out they were actually pigs! :biggrin:

Gotcha, that was my hunch.

Of course much of that profit taking was likely due to stop orders. Some market makers and institutions employ computer algorithms that "run the stops". An aggressive short can start a downslide that cascades through stop orders like dominoes. I prefer to monitor a situation and enter a sell order manually. E-mail alerts can be helpful when I am not paying close attention. Interestingly, Michael Sincere of MarketWatch today published an article regarding this matter: Why I stopped using stop loss orders - Michael Sinceres Long-Term Trader - MarketWatch

Status
Not open for further replies.