Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With volume of almost 25 million shares does that mean that the short sellers are out at this point. I've never seen 24 million shares of Tesla traded in a single day! What does this mean to the average trader?

Thank you for your input.

Decent close, quite a few day trading shorts left holding the bag here desperately hoping for a dramatic drop like yesterdays.

Volume calmed down considerably by noon. This created a far more stable stock I think. Today was a real joy though, thought it would get some back but didn't anticipate up into the 80's. And one thing about this bull is it hits a level, falls back hard and then busts through it the next day.

No idea what Monday brings but TSLA may have found a nice place in the mid-70's to work from. I'm getting used to 10%+ gains per day though.

Tesla Shorts Run for Cover as Stock Doubles: Mover - Bloomberg
[...] About 20 percent of the company’s shares outstanding were borrowed and sold short on May 8, down from 23 percent three weeks ago, according to data compiled by Bloomberg and Markit, a London-based research firm. That compares with an average 3.1 percent for the Russell 1000 Index.

Shares on loan in Tesla reached a record 25 percent in September last year.

Musk said in an interview last week there are rumors some investors had a naked short position in Tesla. In a naked short sale, the seller doesn’t borrow shares at the beginning of the process and can get caught needing to buy at ever-higher prices.

“You’re not supposed to do that on the Nasdaq,” Musk said on May 2 in Hawthorne, California. “If there’s a naked short, oh my god, things could really go ballistic.” [...]

Interesting comments there re: naked short:

Musk said in an interview last week there are rumors some investors had a naked short position in Tesla. In a naked short sale, the seller doesn’t borrow shares at the beginning of the process and can get caught needing to buy at ever-higher prices.
“You’re not supposed to do that on the Nasdaq,” Musk said on May 2 in Hawthorne, California. “If there’s a naked short, oh my god, things could really go ballistic.”

It's also really annoying that they always insist on claiming how hes a billionaire and what not. All of that money is in shares in his companies, and he'll go back to millionaire poor if they fail (or completely strapped for cash, as in 2008).

I am pretty sure there are new shorters that came in just before earnings call. And I dont see a reason why it wont squeeze higher as investors wont sell low when we know the future is bright. I really dont think it will come down alot before we get some really bad news, and that just wont happen!

I am pretty sure there are new shorters that came in just before earnings call. And I dont see a reason why it wont squeeze higher as investors wont sell low when we know the future is bright. I really dont think it will come down alot before we get some really bad news, and that just wont happen!

Lets hope not, but those shorts always manage to find/fabricate something that been the history of TSLA

Status
Not open for further replies.