Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curt, there are very real commercial reasons that will be highly profitable to go to the moon, are you aware of "H3", and governments around the worlds race to get back to the moon?

My physicist cousin was the head of the science division of the defunct Congressional Office of Technology Assessment. He testified before congressional committees on the feasibility of such projects as the International Space Station and the Superconducting Super Collider. I asked him to comment on the matter of He3 extraction from the Moon. Here is his response:

[FONT=&amp]Entertaining idea, but a long way from reality. Most of the predictions for fusion have been "20-30 years away" -- and I've heard them since the 50s. I'm not sure how much easier He3 would be, but I'd be surprised if there weren't a number of unexpected complications. And, as said by all, the cost of bringing things back from the Moon is considerable. I won't argue that it won't work, but I would argue that it's not likely, and, if it does come to pass, it's a generation or two from now.

Space tourism is another story. I'm sure there's a market. Lots of billionaires around these days. They took risks financially, think they're invincible, so are looking for notoriety and the next thrill.[/FONT]

Curt,

"RKK_Energiya" plans to establish a manned lunar program, and setup a lunar base to begin extraction of H3 by 2030, not really a generation or two away, I'll be an old man, but hopefully still kicking to see it.
These are the people who launch the Russian rockets into space, and are partners with "Sea Launch" that launch satellites from the Russian Cosmadome and from Sea Launches equitorial launch platform with their Zenit series of boosters.

S.P. Korolev Rocket and Space Corporation Energia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Future projects
Further assembly of ISS Russian segment: development of Multipurpose Laboratory Module (together with Krunichev Space Centre) and "Oka" space production modules (not permanently attached to ISS).
Development of new spacecraft with 3 stages: 1.Modernization of "Soyuz TMA" spacecraft for manned circum-lunar missions - pending commercial orders for space tourism.
2.Development of "Parom" space tug (in order to replace "Progress M" cargo spacecraft).
3.Development of multi-aimed Prospective Piloted Transport System (PPTS, Rus') (instead of abandoned Kliper project) for 6 persons.

Development of manned lunar program: landing by 2025, creating of permanent lunar base by 2030 in order to extract helium-3.
Development of manned Mars mission: landing beyond 2035.
Development of "Yamal-300" and "Yamal-400" communication satellites for Gazprom corporation.
Development of "Smotr" remote sensing satellites.
Development of a pod designed for clearing near-Earth space of satellite debris. The new device is planned to be assembled by 2020 and tested by 2023. The concept is to build the device to use a nuclear power source so that it could remain on task for up to 15 years, primarily working in the geosynchronous orbit zone. Debris collected would be de-orbited to re-enter over the ocean.[6]

Also, "Planetrary Resources" has plans to mine the moon for H3, as well as mining asteriods for resources:
Planetary Resources Mission

some believe the H3 on the moon wil be more likely to power bases on the moon.. here's a link about that.
Could Helium-3 really solve Earths energy problems?

"After mining lunar rock, Helium-3 is separated by heating the mass to over 600 degrees Celsius, consuming a large amount of energy in the process.

And meanwhile, transporting large quantities of Helium-3 back to Earth will be another problem. A spacecraft would likely be able to only carry a few tons of Helium-3 as payload, necessitating a revolving door of shuttles to supply enough Helium-3 to care for the Earth's energy needs. Thus, it's likely that Helium-3 is more likely to become a fuel source for lunar colonies, eliminating a need for start-up additional supplies and costly flights to and from Earth.

Due to the effort and energy needed to mine, heat, and transport Helium-3 back to Earth, it will not be a cheap energy source, but a clean alternative, one we might have to turn to in the next 100 years. Frequent trips to the Moon may also open up the lunar tourism industry, as passengers travel along with canisters of Helium-3 destined for use in fusion reactions back on Earth."

The "Artemis Project" also explains it a bit as well, about a 10,000 year supply of H3 on the moon:

Artemis Project: Fusion Power from the Moon

Artemis Project: Lunar Helium-3 as an Energy Source, <br>in a nutshell

Last edited:
"RKK_Energiya" plans to establish a manned lunar program, and setup a lunar base to begin extraction of H3 by 2030, not really a generation or two away...

[FONT=&amp]When my physicist cousin wrote, “I won't argue that it won't work, but I would argue that it's not likely, and, if it does come to pass, it's a generation or two from now.” he was not referring to the ability to return material from the Moon, but rather to the ability to extract energy from He3 through nuclear fusion. [/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

...Thus, it's likely that Helium-3 is more likely to become a fuel source for lunar colonies, eliminating a need for start-up additional supplies and costly flights to and from Earth...

Hence my conclusion that a manned lunar or martian project would not likely provide a net financial gain to an investor.

If space tourism becomes a reality, and we have regular trips back and forth to the moon, I think the old adage will apply:
"If you build it, they will come"; if a supply of H3 was availble commercially, a lot more research effort into fusion reactors would happen, and we would build generation plants to use it. I choose to be an optomist that we will solve our future energy needs, any other view is self defeating and not worth considering. To colonize the moon or mars, such reactors will need to be developed anyway most likely.

BTW, CNN did a story on this a couple of years ago as well: Could the moon provide clean energy for Earth? - CNN.com

Last edited:
Interesting discussion andmamgood one to have and continue. I'm guessing that an investment in SpaceX will not be an option. Holding company concept will happen concurrent withnSpaceX public. No inside info, just my speculation based on remarks to date

Interesting discussion andmamgood one to have and continue. I'm guessing that an investment in SpaceX will not be an option. Holding company concept will happen concurrent withnSpaceX public. No inside info, just my speculation based on remarks to date

That’s a possibility. However, my favored scenario is that Elon makes so much money from Tesla Motors that he buys out the others who have already invested with him in SpaceX, thus allowing him in good conscience to do whatever he pleases with SpaceX regardless of the financial consequences. Either way, our discussion of whether to invest in a hypothetical SpaceX IPO becomes moot.

I think that we are way off topic and I'm sorry for bringing up a potential SpaceX IPO since it caused it. I got greedy and it looks like I'll miss out if TSLA kicks out of the 90-100 range. I'm hoping that it hangs around here until some more permanent results are shown (achieved %25 margin etc). Here's hoping.

That’s a possibility. However, my favored scenario is that Elon makes so much money from Tesla Motors that he buys out the others who have already invested with him in SpaceX, thus allowing him in good conscience to do whatever he pleases with SpaceX regardless of the financial consequences. Either way, our discussion of whether to invest in a hypothetical SpaceX IPO becomes moot.

This whole discussion should (will?) be moved to SpaceX investors thread but I'll answer here, since there is one important point: If there is no SpaceX IPO the what happens to all the bright people who have worked there many years now, taking quite humble salaries but in addition options packages? They'll need those options to "monetize" at some point, right? And how would that happen other than going public?

Last edited:
This morning, Tesla was traded for more than $100 at the Frankfurt exchange. (77.523€)

TL0:Frankfurt Stock Quote - Tesla Motors Inc - Bloomberg

Very nice! Forgive my novice question: Are these shares identical to TSLA traded on the NASDAQ? Or is it another class of shares? For example, do the shares that are held and traded on the Franfurt exhange count in to the total number of TSLA outstanding shares? Could I ask my broker to transfer my holdings that are currently TSLA on NASDAQ to the same number of TL0:GR shares? (Not that I would want to for now).

Very nice! Forgive my novice question: Are these shares identical to TSLA traded on the NASDAQ? Or is it another class of shares? For example, do the shares that are held and traded on the Franfurt exhange count in to the total number of TSLA outstanding shares? Could I ask my broker to transfer my holdings that are currently TSLA on NASDAQ to the same number of TL0:GR shares? (Not that I would want to for now).

That I unfortunately have no idea about. I don't trade on the Frankfurt exchange at all. Maybe someone with decent broker access from Germany is able to answer this question. I do know that the Frankfurt TL0:GR shares have tracked TSLA closely in pre-market and normal trading, but I haven't followed it closely.

I've bought some TSLA shares and some TL0 shares. Thay have the same ISIN and name on my account.

Last edited:
Any tips on how to buy in at tomorrow's opening? I am interested in getting in at the open, but figure it is best to set a limit order, so as not to get burned by any potential pre-market pop. Is this the best strategy? Maybe set one for $97 flat? Any advice is appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.