Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing that includes X that will be made towards the end of '14 ...

Negative. This is model S only. Elon said that they can do 40,000/year on 2 shifts and up to 50,000 with minimal capital investment of $25m - $50m.

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you get those numbers?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...ut-speeds-past-400-a-week-ceo.html?cmpid=yhoo

His numbers sound right. I don't know if 133 man hours/car is a lot, but if it is then GOOD! This leaves a lot of room for improvement in the future.

Where did you get those numbers?

Link to an article was posted above, but here it is again: Tesla Model S Sedan Output Speeds Past 400 a Week: CEO - Bloomberg
That is for number of employers working at Tesla Factory assembly.

600 cars per week rate was reported by TMC member, and Musk kinda confirmed it by claiming "not trivially above 400".

Then simple math, assuming 40 hour week, 2000*40/600.

And 133 hours is a lot, GM spends less then 20 man hours to produce a car...

Link to an article was posted above, but here it is again: Tesla Model S Sedan Output Speeds Past 400 a Week: CEO - Bloomberg
That is for number of employers working at Tesla Factory assembly.

600 cars per week rate was reported by TMC member, and Musk kinda confirmed it by claiming "not trivially above 400".

Then simple math, assuming 40 hour week, 2000*40/600.

And 133 hours is a lot, GM spends less then 20 man hours to produce a car...

Looks like you are comparing apples to oranges. GM hours include assembly only. the manhours required to produce engine, transmission, and other major parts are not included. Tesla manhours, on other hand, include everything that is produced at the factory: motor, power electronics, battery, plastic molding, etc, etc.

Looks like you are comparing apples to oranges. GM hours include assembly only. the manhours required to produce engine, transmission, and other major parts are not included. Tesla manhours, on other hand, include everything that is produced at the factory: motor, power electronics, battery, plastic molding, etc, etc.

I have counted only those who work on assembly in Tesla factory. Musk said total number of workers there is 3000. And 2000 is working on assembly line.

Although not so sure GM number dose not include stamping/body shop/paint shop...

- - - Updated - - -

For comparison, just checked BMW X3 NatGeo video.
Cars per day output is 445. Two shifts. Tic tac time 128 seconds.
Quote: "It take more then a thousand workers to make X3"...

So that place X3 production to 35h to 50h per car(depends of how many "more" workers there then a thousand).

I doubt 3000 people work at the Fremont Factory.

As of Dec 31, 2012 Tesla was employing 2,964 full-time employees (according to annual report). And the annual report also says, "We achieved our steady-state production run rate of 20,000 vehicles per year in December 2012."

The 2,964 employees (as of 12/31/12) included fremont factory, palo alto headquarters, stores, service centers and hawthorne design center.

I have counted only those who work on assembly in Tesla factory. Musk said total number of workers there is 3000. And 2000 is working on assembly line.

Although not so sure GM number dose not include stamping/body shop/paint shop...

Strange. I can't imagine where all those people are. From the factory tour I would swear there's nowhere close to a thousand people working on the assembly line. I would have guessed a couple hundred people max. He did say "working on assembly" not "working on the assembly line" so I'm assuming he means anybody involved in producing anything part of the car (as opposed to test people, janitors, etc).

- - - Updated - - -

As of Dec 31, 2012 Tesla was employing 2,964 full-time employees (according to annual report). And the annual report also says, "We achieved our steady-state production run rate of 20,000 vehicles per year in December 2012."

The 2,964 employees (as of 12/31/12) included fremont factory, palo alto headquarters, stores, service centers and hawthorne design center.

Yeah, I'm guessing that there's something wrong with the article.

In December they used a lot of temporaries, right?

For real...For the record, the closing today was at 125.61though it was as high as 126.09 intraday. It was awesome to have a new closing ATH on the same day I got my delivery button. I can't wait to watch TSLA reach ATHs in the future on my Model S touch screen.

Jonathan, congrats on your delivery button.

And to everyone else, congrats on another ATH.

- - - Updated - - -

In the Bloomberg video the reporter does confirms EU cars are on the water, 3000 workers at the factory & roughly 2000 are assembly with 2 shifts running 16 hours a day. :-D

I would take that report with a grain of salt. The reporter has fishy numbers/details.

The reporter has fishy numbers/details.

Reporter took numbers directly from Elon. There is a direct quote. And my guess would be that Elon do know key metrics that affect his business... You guess could be different, it is ok.

Dave, please do not try to pretend that "numbers" do not come from Elon. It is totally ok if you think that Elon's claims are "fishy". But by switching attention to reporter instead of real source, you are trying to twist the facts. The facts that you think are fishy.

BTW, FWIW the facts mentioned by Elon do align perfectly with mine estimates of how TM is doing in automation department. And IMHO TM got tons of room to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.