Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you see the proposal specifically cut out battery swapping as a requirement for fast charging but kept hydrogen fast refueling in place?
"Staff is proposing to remove battery exchange from qualifying under the fast refueling definition,
starting in 2015 model year.

Hydrogen fast refueling capable Type V ZEVs will still earn 9 credits each in model
years 2015 through 2017 upon placement in service"
Quote from http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/2013/zev2013/zev2013isor.pdf

It seems rather suspicious considering no other auto manufacturers have a battery swap system and some are pushing for hydrogen fueled cars.

If you want to look for suspicion, look at Tesla! They get ZEV credits for doing a private demonstration to the CARB for something which is not even available on the car. In a rational world, they wouldn't get ZEV credits for battery swap until drivers can actually battery swap.

They got a free ride, let's be honest.

I haven't heard a peep about deploying these battery swap systems since the demo.

If you want to look for suspicion, look at Tesla! They get ZEV credits for doing a private demonstration to the CARB for something which is not even available on the car. In a rational world, they wouldn't get ZEV credits for battery swap until drivers can actually battery swap.

They got a free ride, let's be honest.

I haven't heard a peep about deploying these battery swap systems since the demo.

The problem is that the guidelines for the credits use a percentage, instead of miles/hr or kW or anything else. The Model S charges faster than anything else on the road by every measure except percentage of the battery pack, because its battery pack is 4x bigger than everything else on the road. If the quick-charging measurement used a reasonable guideline rather than "80% in 20 minutes" (or whatever it is, it's something along those lines), then the Model S would already qualify.

There is no free ride happening here. If there is a free-ride, then it's happening for other EVs which have demonstrated "quick-charging capability" on standards which have no plugs installed in CA (SAE DC combo/CHAdeMO), with a slower charging capability than the Model S has. How many combined chademo/saedc chargers are there in California? One? five? Either way, not only are there less of those plugs installed than there are superchargers, but they are not usable as anything other than a novelty.

Fact of the matter is, there is one EV which can make an LA-SF trip in about the same amount of time it takes to go with a gas car. That is the Model S. Clearly it qualifies.

I have no problem with other electric cars, and I think quick charging is actually not very necessary in the end. But as long as we're considering it important, then the Model S obviously has it.

Personally, I think we should drop all this pack-swapping nonsense, CARB should change the quick-charging standards to be based on miles/hr instead of battery pack percentage. It's insanely obvious that the Model S has quick charging capability, and better quick-charging capability than any other car on the road, so all this quibbling is ridiculous. It qualifies. Done.

Last edited:
Ha when I saw it last night I was wondering what the heck you guys are doing in the night toasting...

Better reason to tonight. After hours looks like 177.45 right now. It will be nice to see the 180's again.

When you look at all the info that came out today there are some huge catalyst IMO. (Elon's response to bloomberg, ca zev pushed back, 8 other states for zev, de, uk openings, china delivery, and a bullish SeekingAlpha article) I don't think that the street picked up on a lot of it though. My gut says the bull is rested up and can't wait for someone to open the gate.

Better reason to tonight. After hours looks like 177.45 right now. It will be nice to see the 180's again.

When you look at all the info that came out today there are some huge catalyst IMO. (Elon's response to bloomberg, ca zev pushed back, 8 other states for zev, de, uk openings, china delivery, and a bullish SeekingAlpha article) I don't think that the street picked up on a lot of it though. My gut says the bull is rested up and can't wait for someone to open the gate.
Alright let me jump in to cheer for $180 tomorrow, a bit out of my character :). I got naked put $180 expired tomorrow which I sold just beginning of the week.

Would be great if I don't have to walk it down to next week.

- - - Updated - - -

First time I didn't act on my call yesterday when I called the $160 level. I was a bit down on cash and got some problematic positions to take care, was thinking buying the $165 weekly call for $1.8. Would've been golden.

I did a few times in the past in this kind of situations, like GS stunt, the fire. Works wonder. Again it only works in extreme cases like those. The key is I am not stressed to deal with other problems and have cycle to execute the trade. Easier said than done.

Last edited:
First time I didn't act on my call yesterday when I called the $160 level. I was a bit down on cash and got some problematic positions to take care, was thinking buying the $165 weekly call for $1.8. Would've been golden.

I know how you feel. I called the bottom perfectly, and I was going to buy the weekly, but I chickened out. Averaged down my Nov $200s instead.

Alright let me jump in to cheer for $180 tomorrow, a bit out of my character :). I got naked put $180 expired tomorrow which I sold just beginning of the week.

Would be great if I don't have to walk it down to next week.

- - - Updated - - -

I did a few times in the past in this kind of situations, like GS stunt, the fire. Works wonder.
Picked up

11/8 170 strikes yesterday for 10.80.
12/21 170,s for 14.80
11/8 210's for 1.99.

Yesterday's rise mid day and today was golden. Tomorrow will be sweet!

Picked up

12/21 170,s for 14.80
11/8 210's for 1.99.

I mean just yesterday was the "world is ending" sentiment for TSLA. Amazing how things changed overnight. Almost seems like Elon set-up the shorts for a squeeze.:) May be too early but all of a sudden my pre-earnings expectation of $195 is back in the game.

I mean just yesterday was the "world is ending" sentiment for TSLA. Amazing how things changed overnight. Almost seems like Elon set-up the shorts for a squeeze.:) May be too early but all of a sudden my pre-earnings expectation of $195 is back in the game.

Don't get too excited guys. We have a huge fight ahead of us tomorrow at $179. If we don't breach that level convincingly, we are going right back down to the $160s.

Picked up

12/21 170,s for 14.80
11/8 210's for 1.99.

I bet you were not stressed at all yesterday. Lucky for you! What did you have before these fantastic trades?

- - - Updated - - -

Don't get too excited guys. We have a huge fight ahead of us tomorrow at $179. If we don't breach that level convincingly, we are going right back down to the $160s.

+1. I am cheering here but I remind myself not to forget the lessons. Keep it balanced!

I know how you feel. I called the bottom perfectly, and I was going to buy the weekly, but I chickened out. Averaged down my Nov $200s instead.

You still have faith in those nov 200's? Mine are disgusting. I almost cut them loose a couple of times but I really believe the fundamentals have not changed. I've been tempted to average them down but if the market doesn't react the way I think I should they will really hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.