Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly right! One of the most important fundamental metrics that we have all been having a meaning about just got a serious real-world confirmation! Yes I know this is the short term price thread, and it kind of surprises me that it didn't move the stock today. Two ways to read that I guess: 1) everyone is on the fence before next week or 2) it was already priced in.

I don't think it was fully priced in, perhaps partially. Market sentiment was negative for high PE growth stories. So the FB results today could swing the sentiment around for high PE stocks tomorrow. Medium term with continuing improving fundamentals from Elon's hard work and considering Tesla is sitting in a $1.5 Trillion market space, TSLA will likely take the crown of being the higher PE growth story. The parallel to AAPL during its growth days is narrowing closer.

Blah I mentioned this yesterday... 3 days to earnings, thats a mighty long time. Anything can happen... If I see another day like yesterday, I'll trade the volatility but at this point almost 95% of my money is fully invested. We just need to hold on a bit longer for Elon to do what he does best and give us another 15%+ move up.

Six days to earnings. It's listed as nov 5th on the tesla investor website Tesla - Events Presentations

Below is an article published today in my TD Ameritrade account about a law firm considering a lawsuit against Tesla Motors regarding claims of safety before the car fires. Supposedly they want to represent shareholders, but the actual effect may be more of a benefit for short sellers. Following the article is my response to the law firm. Other shareholders here may want to consider sending a similar email to the law firm at [email protected] .

SHAREHOLDER ALERT: Pomerantz Law Firm Investigates Claims on Behalf of Investors of Tesla Motors, Inc. -- TSLA
11:32a ET October 30, 2013 (GlobeNewswire)
Pomerantz Grossman Hufford Dahlstrom & Gross LLP is investigating claims on behalf of investors of Tesla Motors, Inc. ("Tesla"). Such investors are advised to contact Robert S. Willoughby at [email protected] or 888-476-6529, ext. 237.
The investigation concerns whether Tesla and certain of its officers and/or directors have violated Sections 10(b) and 20(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. In an August 19, 2013 press release, Tesla touted its Model S as having achieved the "best safety rating of any car ever tested" by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ("NHTSA"). On October 2, 2013, an analyst downgraded Tesla due to "execution risk." On October 17, 2013 in Merida, Mexico, a Model S sped into a roundabout, crashed through a concrete wall and hit a tree. The driver fled the scene before the car went up in flames. The U.S. automotive Web site Jalopnik reported the story Monday, citing the Mexican newspaper Progreso Hoy.
It was the second time this month that a Model S - (Tesla's only vehicle on the market) was in a fiery crash. On October 2, 2013, a Model S burned after hitting road debris in Kent, Washington.
On this news, shares of Tesla fell 4 percent to close at $162.86 on October 28, 2013. The shares have fallen 16 percent since the October 2 crash.
Pomerantz Grossman Hufford Dahlstrom & Gross LLP, with offices in New York, Chicago, San Diego and Florida, is acknowledged as one of the premier firms in the areas of corporate, securities, and antitrust class litigation. Founded by the late Abraham L. Pomerantz, known as the dean of the class action bar, the Pomerantz Firm pioneered the field of securities class actions. Today, more than 70 years later, the Pomerantz Firm continues in the tradition he established, fighting for the rights of the victims of securities fraud, breaches of fiduciary duty, and corporate misconduct. The Firm has recovered numerous multimillion-dollar damages awards on behalf of class members. See Pomerantz Law | Front.
C:\Users\Curt\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif

Pomerantz Grossman Hufford Dahlstrom & Gross LLP
[email protected]

Dear PGHDG:

I’m a Tesla Motors shareholder. You’ve got to be kidding regarding your investigation of the company. Stop now. Any potential gains from a lawsuit would be miniscule compared to share price drops due to publication of your intentions. You actually would be helping the short sellers and hurting the shareholders. If your ulterior motive is actually to aid the former, then we shareholders should be suing you.

There are hundreds of car fires in the US every day. Many involve death or severe injury. The Tesla fires were contained to the front of the batteries due to a safety design that compartmentalized the batteries. There were no injuries. Both drivers still love the Model S and are anxious to get replacements.

The Tesla fires were the result of unusual accidents, not spontaneous as in the case of a Fisker car. The first one involved running over a truck fender that jackknifed forcing puncture with a force of 25 tons. The NHTSA says it’s not worth further investigation since there was no safety defect. The second involved a drunk who ran the car at high speed into a wall.

The fact that the fires were freakish accidents, contained and the drivers were unhurt screams that the Model S is well designed for safety and is indeed the world’s safest car. If any party needs to be investigated and considered for a lawsuit, it is your firm.

Regards,
Curt Renz

Good letter. Unfortunately, these class action law firms are the scum of the earth, and they're not interested in logic or reason, and they know their case will be picked up upon by the shorts (they want that!) because it gives them more leverage against the accused. Their interest is find some foolish investors to comprise their class, and then go after the company for ransom money. The company then has to make a choice: Pay out millions of dollars in legal fees, plus bear the lost opportunity cost of having their management team distracted by defending a frivolous suit just to jump through the hoops in the legal system so that a reasonable judge or jury will throw the case out in a couple years, or pay off the ransomer several million to make it go away. Any investor who signs on with these class action vultures deserves to stripped naked, tar and feathered, and hung upside down by their balls. Scoundrels. The only people who win are the class action lawyers. And I'm not saying I hate lawyers. I've worked with awesome lawyers who have great ethics and do great things with their talent. These class action scoundrels deserve to have their licenses revoked.

Good letter. Unfortunately, these class action law firms are the scum of the earth, and they're not interested in logic or reason, and they know their case will be picked up upon by the shorts (they want that!) because it gives them more leverage against the accused. Their interest is find some foolish investors to comprise their class, and then go after the company for ransom money. The company then has to make a choice: Pay out millions of dollars in legal fees, plus bear the lost opportunity cost of having their management team distracted by defending a frivolous suit just to jump through the hoops in the legal system so that a reasonable judge or jury will throw the case out in a couple years, or pay off the ransomer several million to make it go away. Any investor who signs on with these class action vultures deserves to stripped naked, tar and feathered, and hung upside down by their balls. Scoundrels. The only people who win are the class action lawyers. And I'm not saying I hate lawyers. I've worked with awesome lawyers who have great ethics and do great things with their talent. These class action scoundrels deserve to have their licenses revoked.

So Sunny.....tell us how you really feel!:wink: I agree completely. Thanks Curt

Below is an article published today in my TD Ameritrade account about a law firm considering a lawsuit against Tesla Motors regarding claims of safety before the car fires. Supposedly they want to represent shareholders, but the actual effect may be more of a benefit for short sellers. Following the article is my response to the law firm. Other shareholders here may want to consider sending a similar email to the law firm at [email protected] .

SHAREHOLDER ALERT: Pomerantz Law Firm Investigates Claims on Behalf of Investors of Tesla Motors, Inc. -- TSLA
Pomerantz Grossman Hufford Dahlstrom & Gross LLP is investigating claims on behalf of investors of Tesla Motors, Inc. ("Tesla"). Such investors are advised to contact Robert S. Willoughby at [email protected] or 888-476-6529, ext. 237.
The investigation concerns whether Tesla and certain of its officers and/or directors have violated Sections 10(b) and 20(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. In an August 19, 2013 press release, Tesla touted its Model S as having achieved the "best safety rating of any car ever tested" by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ("NHTSA"). On October 2, 2013, an analyst downgraded Tesla due to "execution risk." On October 17, 2013 in Merida, Mexico, a Model S sped into a roundabout, crashed through a concrete wall and hit a tree. The driver fled the scene before the car went up in flames. The U.S. automotive Web site Jalopnik reported the story Monday, citing the Mexican newspaper Progreso Hoy.
It was the second time this month that a Model S - (Tesla's only vehicle on the market) was in a fiery crash. On October 2, 2013, a Model S burned after hitting road debris in Kent, Washington.
On this news, shares of Tesla fell 4 percent to close at $162.86 on October 28, 2013. The shares have fallen 16 percent since the October 2 crash.
Pomerantz Grossman Hufford Dahlstrom & Gross LLP, with offices in New York, Chicago, San Diego and Florida, is acknowledged as one of the premier firms in the areas of corporate, securities, and antitrust class litigation. Founded by the late Abraham L. Pomerantz, known as the dean of the class action bar, the Pomerantz Firm pioneered the field of securities class actions. Today, more than 70 years later, the Pomerantz Firm continues in the tradition he established, fighting for the rights of the victims of securities fraud, breaches of fiduciary duty, and corporate misconduct. The Firm has recovered numerous multimillion-dollar damages awards on behalf of class members. See Pomerantz Law | Front.

[email protected]

Dear PGHDG:

I’m a Tesla Motors shareholder. You’ve got to be kidding regarding your investigation of the company. Stop now. Any potential gains from a lawsuit would be miniscule compared to share price drops due to publication of your intentions. You actually would be helping the short sellers and hurting the shareholders. If your ulterior motive is actually to aid the former, then we shareholders should be suing you.

There are hundreds of car fires in the US every day. Many involve death or severe injury. The Tesla fires were contained to the front of the batteries due to a safety design that compartmentalized the batteries. There were no injuries. Both drivers still love the Model S and are anxious to get replacements.

The Tesla fires were the result of unusual accidents, not spontaneous as in the case of a Fisker car. The first one involved running over a truck fender that jackknifed forcing puncture with a force of 25 tons. The NHTSA says it’s not worth further investigation since there was no safety defect. The second involved a drunk who ran the car at high speed into a wall.

The fact that the fires were freakish accidents, contained and the drivers were unhurt screams that the Model S is well designed for safety and is indeed the world’s safest car. If any party needs to be investigated and considered for a lawsuit, it is your firm.

Regards,
Curt Renz

I wonder, how deep the pockets of Pomerantz Grossman Hufford Dahlstrom & Gross LLP are?????

Just thinking out loud.

I wonder, how deep the pockets of Pomerantz Grossman Hufford Dahlstrom & Gross LLP are?????

Just thinking out loud.

Yes, a class action lawsuit against them for clogging the legal system with frivolous lawsuits :)

The "class" consists of every taxpayer in the U.S., your "firm" is wasting taxpayers money on court costs.

Edit: we'd have to get the finest legal firm in the country to take them on , "Dewey, Cheat Em and How" (old joke)

Last edited:
Yes, a class action lawsuit against them for clogging the legal system with frivolous lawsuits :)

The "class" consists of every taxpayer in the U.S., your "firm" is wasting taxpayers money on court costs.

Edit: we'd have to get the finest legal firm in the country to take them on , "Dewey, Cheat Em and How" (old joke)

Would crowd-sourcing-funding be an option here?

[email protected]

Dear PGHDG:

Regards,
Curt Renz

I am very glad you came back posting to TMC.
Your voice is much appreciated :smile:

So many momentum stocks of the first half of the year seem broken and the bears have taken control. Careful on the ER night. Do not be surprised to see a quick AH gain followed by a big run down. Be especially careful with options. Please don't put more than you can lose on calls this time. I've seen a lot of broken hearts lately with quite a few stocks that beat well and still faded. Look at NFLX, AAPL and FB for example. All high fliers over the last 6 months.

I'm going to take up a position in TSLA before earnings but not sure I'll keep it for more than a few hours. Definitely not doing options this time around. I feel like the market overall has gotten greedy with leverage and you're starting to see option writers become the winners.

Careful out there guys.

So many momentum stocks of the first half of the year seem broken and the bears have taken control. Careful on the ER night. Do not be surprised to see a quick AH gain followed by a big run down. Be especially careful with options. Please don't put more than you can lose on calls this time. I've seen a lot of broken hearts lately with quite a few stocks that beat well and still faded. Look at NFLX, AAPL and FB for example. All high fliers over the last 6 months.

I'm going to take up a position in TSLA before earnings but not sure I'll keep it for more than a few hours. Definitely not doing options this time around. I feel like the market overall has gotten greedy with leverage and you're starting to see option writers become the winners.

Careful out there guys.

I wrote off my options in my mind already, but there's a lot of anecdotal evidence from various sources pointing to a nice surprise. Guidance and gross margin progress are what is going to get us back on track.

Place your bets people it's Q1 all over again.

I wrote off my options in my mind already, but there's a lot of anecdotal evidence from various sources pointing to a nice surprise. Guidance and gross margin progress are what is going to get us back on track.

Place your bets people it's Q1 all over again.

the big difference is how insanely cheap calls were in Q1. We were buying Jan 14 calls for at a 45 strike for like 150 a contract then and other contracts even more out of the money for like $50 a contract and it was so obvious they were going to come in.

I hope you're right but I think I'm just going in with common shares on this one. However, sentiment is pretty bearish and the stock has ben getting beaten up, short interest is up and nobody is really noticing they could beat big here,,..

- - - Updated - - -

Actually for the first time in a long time the puts are more expensive than the calls. Interesting....

the big difference is how insanely cheap calls were in Q1. We were buying Jan 14 calls for at a 45 strike for like 150 a contract then and other contracts even more out of the money for like $50 a contract and it was so obvious they were going to come in.

I hope you're right but I think I'm just going in with common shares on this one. However, sentiment is pretty bearish and the stock has ben getting beaten up, short interest is up and nobody is really noticing they could beat big here,,..

- - - Updated - - -

Actually for the first time in a long time the puts are more expensive than the calls. Interesting....

Unfortunately I wasn't in the options ride back then... Just common shares, but they did handsomely :) that and I viewed it as more risky because of the first steps in the ramp up. I should've taken notice that there weren't enough shares to borrow. While sentiment is bearish, I think shorts who got burned Q1 are thirsty for their blood back the market is hugely emotional and humans bear grudges. I view Tesla as a business fundamentally more grounded than in Q1 but the bets against them are piling up again.

Behavioral finance is an interesting thing. It's at times like this where you need to question your conviction to go against the mass market. I was nervous all of last week partially because I bought calls at a stupid high price, but we saw options for Netflix swing 8000+% in a day. After looking at evidence and some other historical pieces of data for Tesla (namely the Teslive conversation) I tried to piece together where things were going with a skeptical view. Another thing worth noting is Elon having slightly more fun now and is relatively quiet which is interesting.

I read the Panasonic announcement today as a warning to shorts. I expected movement up, but once again it went down. Just looking at that announcement it pretty much knocks down the battery constraint in the short term and one would think it confirms demand. Panasonic isn't full of morons who would make a risky investment (plus culturally speaking they are more risk averse). We're going to see some real interesting things. Elon also mentioned that Clay Modeling for the X is pretty much wrapped up. ZEV credit is being expanded into other states as well. And yet... The shares are getting pummeled. It's one of those scenarios where I think us small fry actually know something more.

Regards,
Curt Renz

There has been two law firms that have been threatening class action shareholder suits. Shorts are in a frenzy right now and using these unscrupulous firms' threats as fuel.

There must be massive coordinated effort to stifle the recent good news and to exaggerate anything that could be percieved as negative. The reporting I have been seeing has been so full of misleading soundbites, distortions and partial excerpts that one has to think it is intentional. I realize that most market news comes from News Corp and family, but this seems to be expanding beyond those boundaries. I have watched so many interviews with Elon and then read a follow up article afterwards and I'm repeatedly shocked by what it says.

Could this possibly be a orchestrated effort to drive down share prices so that institutions can get the largest benefit from a post-earnings run up? Or am I all wet?

Sorry about the venting. I just have little tolerance for those that mislead innocent bystanders that still want to believe in objective, fair journalism. It is especially bad when the author deletes the an original interview so that they can't be fact checked. I saw that happen this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.