Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll second that motion

And I'll third it.

Momentum plays just cause investors to jump on and off the bandwagon. We need a more stable gradual climb. Then more people can make more intelligent investing decisions, rather than what we've been seeing for the past 6 or 7 months. Of course, that could end this thread with the focus going to long-term investing. Note that my holdings are relatively modest, as I sold about half my original holdings to pay for my Model S.

Last edited:
Still deep in the downtrend. I think we will see more sideways or downwards movement within the channel at least until the 200d MA. We might hit it by the end of the week or the beginning of next week.

Here's a little more perspective:

u5UAmWK3.png
$55.55 would be yummy.. I'd say let it fall to that level.. I'd be all over it when it gets there!

Hello, I am new to this forum, however has been lurking for a few weeks.
I got into TSLA at 30ish, and had to sell at 80ish as i needed money as a down payment for my house.
Overall, i love the company and the product, however the price here is insane. Pricing in huge growth with very little risk discounting is not prudent.
I have finally shorted TSLA at 155, covered a half of my position and got some Dec 100 puts instead.

What triggered my position was the stand that Musk took with the fires. Launching into funny math of comparing Tesla fires with current ICE fleet fire statistics makes no sense.

The argument should have been Model S vs. Mercedes S class or BMW 7 both 2012-2013 model years as benchmark.
I predict that there is actually a recall that will have to happen and meanwhile there is a cloud of uncertainty that will drive the stock lower on a short-term.

Sounds suspicious to me. Why buy in 30s and only now start posting about "funny math". Elon musk has no such thing I can assure you mr.

So here are my thoughts..
Elons most recent blog post was IMO about as good as it's going to get. Fire being covered under the warranty now was an obvious move, his acknowledgment of the NHTSA investigation was clever, and the onslaught of tweets was amusing. It was nice to see the market react positively to all of this, and I did have a glimmer of hope that maybe that would be the turning point back to a more positive sentiment. Todays action seemed to disregard all of this though. The bears are out in full force and are going for the kill. Unfortunately I don't see anything else that Elon could say or do that would suddenly change things for the better. TSLA was a momentum play going up and I'm afraid its a momentum play going down. We do seem to have some support here at ~120, but if this doesn't hold then I don't think the support at ~108 would hold either. If we get any closer to double digits, those who bought earlier this year might get worried and try to take profits while they still can. It could get ugly real quick. I don't think I could buy anymore right now with this in mind, I would rather wait for the dust to settle. My guess this will be around the same time the NHTSA reports back and when Q4 starts coming into play.
Disclaimer: I am no expert, these are just my gut feelings.

Turn of events since May has been unbelievable. Elon appears quite desperate in trying to save his beloved company, almost helpless from his tone and his sudden barrage of tweets. I fell very sad about what has happened over the last two months... To all forum members who are still heavily invested in TSLA: let reason prevail, detach yourself from emotion of Tesla and do the right thing. Good luck.

Turn of events since May has been unbelievable. Elon appears quite desperate in trying to save his beloved company, almost helpless from his tone and his sudden barrage of tweets. I fell very sad about what has happened over the last two months... To all forum members who are still heavily invested in TSLA: let reason prevail, detach yourself from emotion of Tesla and do the right thing. Good luck.

Please ...desperate ...? give me a break shorty...

This seems a bit overwrought. Save his company? Tesla's fundamentals have never been stronger: plenty of cash in the bank, stable and growing production of a great product, a growing Supercharger network, overseas demand, and a pipeline of products that stretches into the next decade.

Reason generally never prevails in the short run. The stock price went to insane levels because of speculators and bots/algorithms.

I advise people to hold on to their shares and to ignore the stampede of speculators and bots who were exiting in panic. The only exception is if one needs emergency cash right away, in which case putting that money into a single stock was an imprudently risky action to take.

So much exaggeration of the negatives going on right now. It's like the shorts have taken control of the stock AND the thread. Every now and then the short term thread should remember the long term picture and chill the f out. Sentiment will improve.

...do the right thing....

The "right thing" will be for none of us to sell you our shares on the next short squeeze, and trust me, there will be one, because you just can't resist shorting the stock. Many of you will get caught in your "shorts", TSLA has shown it can have powerful single day movements in either direction, I wouldn't want to be caught in the updraft if I was short.

Last edited:

I've seen comments like this from a few people now. Given that Tesla is generating profits and cash, and has a healthy order book, and is continuing to open new markets, the company is in no immediate danger. Nor is Elon in any real danger from most of his shareholders. The stock price has no real relevance to the health of the company unless it wants to raise more cash, which it doesn't seem to need to do at the moment.

I've seen comments like this from a few people now. Given that Tesla is generating profits and cash, and has a healthy order book, and is continuing to open new markets, the company is in no immediate danger. Nor is Elon in any real danger from most of his shareholders. The stock price has no real relevance to the health of the company unless it wants to raise more cash, which it doesn't seem to need to do at the moment.

I want to double check with others to see if I am paranoid.

There's a sudden influx of posters like these that latches on to the negative slogan of the day and just repeat it in any argument. If I check their profile they are usually new members with a couple posts that doesn't really say anything.

I've seen this before, but I should don't want to make a conclusion yet.

I want to double check with others to see if I am paranoid.

There's a sudden influx of posters like these that latches on to the negative slogan of the day and just repeat it in any argument. If I check their profile they are usually new members with a couple posts that doesn't really say anything.

I've seen this before, but I should don't want to make a conclusion yet.

I know I've been paying more attention to "join date" and member posts when I see negative comments. We need perspective from both sides, but it's clear there are a few new people around here that are here with a purpose, and it isn't positive.

This short attack may also mean that they sense the bottom and fear that the stock will not go any lower, so they desperately try to manipulate us. I'm not selling.

+1 - Been through that scenario multiple times (happening right now with Solar); once learned, I've used it as a buy signal (or using LEAPS a signal to lower strikes to a higher tracking Delta)

This short attack may also mean that they sense the bottom and fear that the stock will not go any lower, so they desperately try to manipulate us. I'm not selling.

And you just might be a plant from the opposite camp LOL.

Another paranoid thought I've been having is... and I guess it's in the hidden recess of other people's mind.

Who the heck drops a tow hitch or a metal curved fender onto the highway. Was it disconnected from another car? Was it dropped from a truck? Why hasn't the parties involved sue the transportation companies yet? Or the insurance company sue whoever dropped it? I thought USA is a lawsuit happy country especially with the $ amount of damage.

If the lawsuit already happened, please point me to the publication.

I've been following this forum, this thread in particular, for a few months now. I just never posted very often. I definitely see a trend in how the posts have changed in both quality and tone.

Right now I feel like there are two camps: 1) those feeling some pain, are emotional, and are maybe irrationally hoping for a fast turn around 2) those who are feeding off of shorting and possibly planting statements.

Neither conversation is beneficial to the purpose of this thread - to make accurate predictions for the short term price movements of TSLA. We have to rationally understand when the stock will go down based off of market sentiment and understanding the short attacks. We then have to position ourselves to either take advantage of that or to protect ourselves from that. This is the short term price movement thread, short term may very well mean significant downward movement. We also must understand the fundamental value of the company and position ourselves properly to take advantage of upswings.

I've been burned a bit by following the overly positive chatter lately when I should have been shorting. At the same time, I want Tesla as a company to succeed fantastically. This thread needs real, frank, emotionless assessments of SHORT TERM movements. I know long term Tesla will be just fine. In hindsight, of all people, of all the intellect we have on here, we should have seen the drop coming and we should have been warning each other to either protect or short - then to get ready for the upturn. But we did not. We were far too blind in just believing that Elon Musk can magically work the market, though we know the market is irrational short term. We do not need false hopes and wishes that the stock will turn up any day now, nor do we need vicious and inaccurate fear mongering that Tesla will go bankrupt. We need to return to the good analysis that was going on Q1 and Q2.

So much exaggeration of the negatives going on right now. It's like the shorts have taken control of the stock AND the thread. Every now and then the short term thread should remember the long term picture and chill the f out. Sentiment will improve.

No short here. Read my prior threads :) But you have to call the moment what it is. Being excessively negative or positive does nobody good. Advising people to hold the stock or to sell the stock does nobody good either. People should do what they feel is right with level headed thinking. The unknown is a bad place to be when investments are large, whether it's TSLA or any other company. I have seen people get burned with excessive confidence and faith and some miss out on a huge opportunity being too negative. I just don't know where we are with TSLA at the moment. Following very closely. I want Tesla to succeed. But Elon has to instill confidence in people with his words and actions, and how quickly he says and does. But at the moment it is sit it out and wait. I can tell you this- I was readying to order my Model S before year end and my enthusiasm has waned quite a bit (even though I will most likely order). And that's from a huge Tesla fan, a close follower, and engineer. Imagine the average consumer's perception. Anyone think Tesla can maintain the same pace of sales in the near term or medium term?

Status
Not open for further replies.