Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dfb02e4d458af764b6d46d500e9ab067.jpg

This tweet from Elon is bothering me. It seems like a waste of engineering time and resources which would be better spent on Model S D software, Model X, and Model 3. I would much rather see the Model X beta at the NAIAS and a design studio rather than an automatic charger. Or even Model 3 drawings. Or even an outline of new Model S software in the next update.

Cool! :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

This tweet from Elon is bothering me. It seems like a waste of engineering time and resources which would be better spent on Model S D software, Model X, and Model 3. I would much rather see the Model X beta at the NAIAS and a design studio rather than an automatic charger. Or even Model 3 drawings. Or even an outline of new Model S software in the next update.

Don't agree. Elon says that they are working on the charger meaning they have human resources and time to do Tesla Projects altogether. Just a little faith, come on.

Automated plug-in/out + AutoPilot. Think about it.

Surely this project is not delaying those priorities in any way. Engineering resources are not all the same, it's not like the CAD jockey designing this thing can just jump into a meeting with the motor control software team and start hashing out code.

Get behind me, Satan. ;)
It is good to design this before releasing the Model X as the receiving vehicle must be designed for this. So this is advancing both MX and M3. I wouldn't expect this to toe up the same programming resources working on D optimization. That's a different skill set.

It is not possible for every engineering resource to do every job - so someone working on charging hardware is not likely to also do software development. Likewise the designers for the Model 3 are probably specialized at that task, not able to work on chargers/robotics etc.

Likewise, doubling the team size does not necessarily halve the development time.

The people working on this are probably a part of the charger development team, and who knows what else they have on their schedule.

Get behind me, Satan. ;)
It is good to design this before releasing the Model X as the receiving vehicle must be designed for this. So this is advancing both MX and M3. I wouldn't expect this to toe up the same programming resources working on D optimization. That's a different skill set.
Good points -- the charging receptacle on the car will have to have some signaling capability so that the "metal snake" can dock. Maybe they're borrowing someone from SpaceX; they seem to know a few things about docking.

Good points -- the charging receptacle on the car will have to have some signaling capability so that the "metal snake" can dock. Maybe they're borrowing someone from SpaceX; they seem to know a few things about docking.

would it really be needed? there is the chargeport light ring. couldn't the charge cable just have a light sensor to align it?
I though Elon 'said' it would work for all existing Model S'

In addition to the all the good points made on this, the telescoping automatic snake-charging has potential for a marketing impact. Let's face it, media at large and buying public beyond the first adopter crowd just do not have enough of the attention span to dwell on what makes D so revolutionary ("they just added AWD, catching up to the big boys"), how autopilot offered by Tesla is different (again, "catching up" argument), etc, etc... The telescopic automatic snake-charging, however, is just what doctor prescribed in terms of marketing! Just watch how media will latch onto this after the demonstration.

In addition to the all the good points made on this, the telescoping automatic snake-charging has potential for a marketing impact. ... The telescopic automatic snake-charging, however, is just what doctor prescribed in terms of marketing!
At the risk of duplicating what I said in another thread...has the lack of self-plugin hurt anything else, ever? Cell phones seem to have been adopted pretty well without them. USB enabled devices don't plug themselves in either. Or laptops. Or tablets. Or e-readers. Or any power tool I've ever used in the garage.

Seems like a problem that didn't need solving.

It's cool, but I'm not yet seeing how this is worth spending R&D money on, other than maybe send a couple interns off to play with the idea for a summer just to see what happens.

Last edited:
At the risk of duplicating what I said in another thread...has the lack of self-plugin hurt anything else, ever? Cell phones seem to have been adopted pretty well without them. USB enabled devices don't plug themselves in either.

It's cool, but I'm not yet seeing any way this is worth more than sending a couple interns off to play with the idea for a summer.

When was the last time your cell phone transported itself to another building at the end of the day?

At the risk of duplicating what I said in another thread...has the lack of self-plugin hurt anything else, ever? Cell phones seem to have been adopted pretty well without them. USB enabled devices don't plug themselves in either.

It's cool, but I'm not yet seeing any way this is worth more than sending a couple interns off to play with the idea for a summer.

In a word, no, but self plugin wouldn't enable the same functionality with cell phones than it would with a car - Basically an auto-valet feature.

It is more of a luxury feature but this is a luxury car.

Automated plug in has implications for Supercharger design. Tesla is rolling out SCs at a fevered pace. The sooner they have the new design, the less it will cost to retrofit all those SC locations.

Longer term Tesla may not need as many stalls for peak capacity. Park in a general parking spot, and when a stall is open it will summon the next car in waiting. As soon as that car is charged it is sent away, and the next car is summoned. This would be particularly useful in parking situation That span multiple hours, such as a high rise condo building where a dozen Teslas share a single stall for overnight charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.