Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's normal in China. People usually take 3 months or more to get license plate (registration) after purchase the car. In between, they just live with temporary license (paper license) which can be renewed on monthly base (?)

Anyone with knowledge of the purchase/registration process in China have an opinion on this:LA Times

If I read this article...and interpret it.....correctly...There is a big discrepancy between shipment numbers to china and registrations. If it is true that many people are holding off on finalizing their purchase waiting for the government incentives to be applied then we may have fewer 'deliveries'?

Flux, do you know what triggered the breakout finally? The market had been sitting in "anticipation" just about all day... I know we have the Russian thing going on and the GDP rise, but all that was from this morning.

I'm hunting for it. Variety of theories:

It's possible people just came back from lunch, looked at nice GDP beat and started bargain-shopping for discounted stocks going into the weekend.

U.S. Stocks Rebound on GDP as Bonds Fall on Pimco Concern - Bloomberg
“I do think it’s still a buy the dips market,” James Liu, global market strategist at JP Morgan Funds in New York, said by phone. The firm oversees about $400 billion in the U.S. “There’s always short-term news that can derail the market. But in the end, the underlying strength of the U.S. market still comes back so you’ve had upward momentum despite the dips.”

I also see that AliBaba (BABA) options begin trading on Monday, so people might have started buying ETFs and other relevant stocks anticipating a bullish follow-on move on Monday. Of course they also may be freeing up cash.

The technical guys would say that yesterday's move down was oversold and we were due for a rebound.

Or you know, Jupiter could be in retrograde and the shakras of the moon tides are affecting trader moods. :)

Last edited:
I recall from the Red-Hot China thread that people can switch the same plate between cars. So they wouldn't appear as new registrations.

Here in Illinois a person can transfer his registration (license plates) from a car he is selling to one he is buying for a fee of $25, rather than the normal registration fee of $101. Then another $101 is paid annually to renew the registration (license plates) and receive an updated sticker. Additionally, one must initially pay $95 for a certificate of title for a newly purchased car, and a variable amount for sales tax.

Last edited:
Agree. Remember too that autonomous driving makes better use of existing roadway infrastructure. That is more trillions to save, in that existing roads can be used much more efficiently. That is why you will see autonomous driving mandated earlier than you think, cities and states will force it on drivers who may or may not be on board. I think that a highway that is in a traffic jammed morning commute is only 15% covered with cars (in terms of surface area). That is how inefficient we human drivers are.

I am super excited about the autonomous innovations coming. I look forward to the day I can leave in the evening, program the car to take me to some destination, go to sleep, and wake up as we pull into the driveway.

I just hope the technology not only comes with lane detection and traffic avoidance, but also pothole avoidance. I consider that one of my primary functions as a driver, and one I will definitely need if I'm to enjoy a nice nap. :biggrin:

I think it's considered delivered once it's in the customers hands and payment is received. I can definitely see people waiting for the tax exemption rules to kick in, but it can't be THAT significant of a number of people. Typically with them, their time is worth more than the wait.

I think in China the Tesla process is different - it's a deposit, but then you need to pay a large chunk of the price of the car when you finalize your deposit, and the remainder on delivery. Basically before Tesla puts the car on the ship you have to pay for most of it.

scratch that, it just went negative..

The TSLA pounding in recent minutes appears to have coincided with the publication of a somewhat negative article by MarketWatch's energy reporter Claudia Assis: Are Musk’s Tesla and SolarCity running out of juice? - MarketWatch

There is nothing new in the article. It's just a rehash. But the bots must have reacted to it. We just can't get away from Elon's answer to a question about share price on September 4.

Here's a more positive article published this afternoon on GuruFocus: Tesla Motors Is A Buy - GuruFocus.com

The TSLA pounding in recent minutes appears to have coincided with the publication of a somewhat negative article by MarketWatch's energy reporter Claudia Assis: Are Musk’s Tesla and SolarCity running out of juice? - MarketWatch

There is nothing new in the article. It's just a rehash. But the bots must have reacted to it. We just can't get away from Elon's answer to a question about share price on September 4.

Here's a more positive article published this afternoon on GuruFocus: Tesla Motors Is A Buy - GuruFocus.com

Wow, thanks for finding that! It appears to be the cause since the timing of the article coincides with that huge leg down on heavy volume.... although I think it appears to have just been an excuse for them to sell/short.. As in, they were probably looking for just about anything to bring it down.. TSLA resisted the entire uptrend with few buyers at any price except below 247, and then it promptly broke down at 3:17 when the overall trend appeared to be over... then, with the downtrend established, the article came out at 3:26 and they capitalised on the trend to lower it even further :eek: am I right..

Last edited:

You know, I would think the bots by now would be intelligent enough to spot older information. It would make sense to have a cache of key words and if they see them over and over, match it with the first date/time it came out, and then to process it as old news.....making them not react to it. That would be responsive learning, which I thought they were doing, learning from each other.....bot to bot.

You know, I would think the bots by now would be intelligent enough to spot older information.....

They may be reinforced to act similarly as they move the market (to some degree). Like a swarm of birds, one heads in a direction (because of new or old information) then they all do. And they are right to do so as they "guessed" the movement of the market. At some point, one starts in a new direction, and then the swarm pivots to follow...

We watch this happen from afar, and think wtf.

Just stopped by local Tesla store. There used to have 2 exibhition cars, but only 1 left today. The sales representative told me another one is sold a couple of weeks ago. During my stay, 1 couple just signed the purchase contract and 1 couple is discussing the options. It looks like TM is intentionally boosting the end of quarter sales/deliveries for Q3. It's still not clear if it's intented to beat guidance or just catching up the guidance.

Wow, thanks for finding that! It appears to be the cause since the timing of the article coincides with that huge leg down on heavy volume.... although I think it appears to have just been an excuse for them to sell/short.. As in, they were probably looking for just about anything to bring it down.. TSLA resisted the entire uptrend with few buyers at any price except below 247, and then it promptly broke down at 3:17 when the overall trend appeared to be over... then, with the downtrend established, the article came out at 3:26 and they capitalised on the trend to lower it even further :eek: am I right..

It certainly appeared that way. To be considered is that TSLA options expire every Friday. This MarketWatch FUD article was published 34 minutes before the market close. Bots are programmed to closely follow TSLA news, and that from MarkeWatch in particular. Was the reporter thinking of that? I doubt it. All she did was gather together old material from the internet. She appears to be just a hack. In my day as a financial journalist I had to contact genuine sources. However, it would not surprise me if late today one of her handlers at her Rupert Murdoch owned company suggested that she publish something negative about Tesla Motors ASAP.

It certainly appeared that way. To be considered is that TSLA options expire every Friday. This MarketWatch FUD article was published 34 minutes before the market close. Bots are programmed to closely follow TSLA news, and that from MarkeWatch in particular. Was the reporter thinking of that? I doubt it. All she did was gather together old material from the internet. She appears to be just a hack. In my day as a financial journalist I had to contact genuine sources. However, it would not surprise me if late today one of her handlers at her Rupert Murdoch owned company suggested that she publish something negative about Tesla Motors ASAP.

Are we even certain that the author is a real person? You know there are AI programs out there that gather data together and "write" articles for just the purpose of click bait and ad revenue. MarketWatch seems like they would be a site that would employ such tactics to make money.

Just stopped by local Tesla store. There used to have 2 exibhition cars, but only 1 left today. The sales representative told me another one is sold a couple of weeks ago. During my stay, 1 couple just signed the purchase contract and 1 couple is discussing the options. It looks like TM is intentionally boosting the end of quarter sales/deliveries for Q3. It's still not clear if it's intented to beat guidance or just catching up the guidance.
Or unloading cars without the new features

Status
Not open for further replies.