Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what the point of that article was...
The point is to paint Elon Musk as the billionaire entrepreneur who is getting rich selling green pipe dreams to local governments who are too stupid or too corrupt to protect the public purse, and instead throw a plethora of subsidies in his direction, as well as use their power to pressure worthy competitors like Toyota to hand over their property to Tesla for peanuts.

What are the chances that someone of the press will ask Elon the question tomorrow, after the unveils, whether he still thinks TSLA is priced too high? And what should his answer be this time?

We all feel bad about the recent pullback, but in perspective it's only down about 10% from ATH.

Any clue why Tesla is not up as much as everyone else? Seems like something is keeping TSLA artificially pushed lower than the rest of the market and we have been lagging behind just about all day like there is a huge amount of selling pressure. Especially since we started off the day higher than the rest of the market until we got the global bad news this morning regarding the whole IMF vs the Fed thing...

At this point, I am going to sell off just a small part of my position (that is doing good again) and then hold the rest through tomorrow, depending on the action, I still think sub 260 is a pop on good news Thursday night, above 260 to 270 it could go either way, and above 270 we will likely drop unless it is something super totally unexpected and amazing.

Pet peev: I get a news story on TSLA on my Ameritrade mobile app at 830PST today: "Tesla shares fall on Report of lower than expected sales".

Hours go go by and no follow up or more detail.

Total BS

That was originally from Benzinga: Benzinga Headline

Benzinga only has the headline, no follow-through text. TD Ameritrade simply copied the headline. So far I'm the only one who wrote a comment after the Benzinga headline. Others may want to do the same. This is not the first time Benzinga has done something like this.

Meanwhile, I talked with someone at TD Ameritrade's Private Client Services and suggested that they stop posting unverified headlines from Benzinga. He said he would pass my concern to those in control of re-posting headlines. Other TD Ameritrade clients may also want to complain to them about Benzinga.

Any clue why Tesla is not up as much as everyone else? Seems like something is keeping TSLA artificially pushed lower than the rest of the market and we have been lagging behind just about all day like there is a huge amount of selling pressure. Especially since we started off the day higher than the rest of the market until we got the global bad news this morning regarding the whole IMF vs the Fed thing...

At this point, I am going to sell off just a small part of my position (that is doing good again) and then hold the rest through tomorrow, depending on the action, I still think sub 260 is a pop on good news Thursday night, above 260 to 270 it could go either way, and above 270 we will likely drop unless it is something super totally unexpected and amazing.

There were two "minor-league" analyst reports that bubbled up the Bloomberg feed from "Benzinga", almost as if deliberately on cue, that took a whack this morning. We have rebounded nicely, probably because they were barely legitimate, as Curt points out above. There is still plenty of trading time (likely all of tomorrow's trading hours) before the Thursday event, and some traders will probably try to wait until the very last minute to place their bets. The trick as always is timing, as there is a risk the stock could climb above or below their ability to buy in at desired prices.

That was originally from Benzinga: Benzinga Headline

Benzinga only has the headline, no follow-through text. TD Ameritrade simply copied the headline. So far I'm the only one who wrote a comment after the Benzinga headline. Others may want to do the same. This is not the first time Benzinga has done something like this.

Meanwhile, I talked with someone at TD Ameritrade's Private Client Services and suggested that they stop posting unverified headlines from Benzinga. He said he would pass my concern to those in control of re-posting headlines. Other TD Ameritrade clients may also want to complain to them about Benziga.

Excellent. Thanks Curt.

I reckon people are probably unwinding positions that they entered last week below $245 in anticipation of buy the rumor sell the news.. so that means a lot of selling pressure today as they try to 'stay ahead' of the others who plan to sell the news as well..

The pop back up to $260 has held relatively steadily. Will there be one last surge tomorrow as anticipation builds for the Thursday event? Or has the rumor been bought and will $260 hold until Friday?

During this week it appears that at least one hedge fund and its bots may have been attempting to keep the TSLA closing price near 260. That may be related to an options strategy. Normally this involves a short straddle, i.e. writing (selling) equal amounts of puts and calls for the same strike and expiration. They will not likely be able to control the share price on Friday when weekly options expire, due to the good chance of a large swing following the Thursday evening announcements. So they may cover their short straddle before the market close on Thursday, if they haven't already. Then after covering they may open a long straddle on the assumption that there could be a large price swing either way on Friday.

Is there any evidence to suggest Tesla will release something like a removable secondary battery that can be used in situations where your battery dies, you forget to charge your battery, or you miscalculate how much time you have in between charges when taking extended road trips?

During this week it appears that at least one hedge fund and its bots may have been attempting to keep the TSLA closing price near 260. That may be related to an options strategy. Normally this involves a short straddle, i.e. writing (selling) equal amounts of puts and calls for the same strike and expiration. They will not likely be able to control the share price on Friday when weekly options expire, due to the good chance of a large swing following the Thursday evening announcements. So they may cover their short straddle before the market close on Thursday, if they haven't already. Then after covering they may open a long straddle on the assumption that there could be a large price swing either way on Friday.

That is my precise theory. 260 has been supported with massive order pipeline above and below for the past few weeks, but I can't imagine a fund wanting to fight the less cheaply-manipulated volatility of the actual post-event price action in the same manner.

That is my precise theory. 260 has been supported with massive order pipeline above and below for the past few weeks, but I can't imagine a fund wanting to fight the less cheaply-manipulated volatility of the actual post-event price action in the same manner.

So does that mean join them? I bought my calls today. Planning on buying my puts tomorrow. Thinking it might go up a bit on the buy the rumor.

Is there any evidence to suggest Tesla will release something like a removable secondary battery that can be used in situations where your battery dies, you forget to charge your battery, or you miscalculate how much time you have in between charges when taking extended road trips?

I see no evidence, and certainly don't believe it. It's almost totally against their design principles and strategy.

I am trying to decide between Mar 2015 calls and Jan 2016 calls. In my mind, the determining factor is the probability of a Model X reveal and test drives. The first time the Model X falcon wing doors are opened on Rodeo drive will be an instant catalyst.

Any thoughts on when Model X test drives will be offered?

Status
Not open for further replies.