Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think the index itself tracked everything on the Nasdaq, just the top 100... Otherwise the index value would be higher than the Dow.
@Curt Renz has a good reply, but I thought I should add that the level of these indexes is completely arbitrary. The index value is calculated by adding up all the relevant firm's market caps and dividing by an arbitrary number to scale the index. That's why it's stupid for financial reporters to talk about the Dow being up 20 points; those "points" are meaningless units. The radio show Marketplace has finally shifted to reporting percentage changes, at least most of the time.

If 1,800 people answering this MarketWatch poll bear some correlation to market participants who impact TSLA, close to 40% expect a new model revealed :eek:

What is the Tesla D? Take our poll - MarketWatch

flip side, as Elon said, dual motor and/or driver assist's significance may be underestimated.

Yeah... that makes me even more apprehensive of a possible drop on the news.

@Curt Renz has a good reply, but I thought I should add that the level of these indexes is completely arbitrary. The index value is calculated by adding up all the relevant firm's market caps and dividing by an arbitrary number to scale the index. That's why it's stupid for financial reporters to talk about the Dow being up 20 points; those "points" are meaningless units. The radio show Marketplace has finally shifted to reporting percentage changes, at least most of the time.

I agree 100%... Also, two other pet peeves I have are:
1)S&P 500 should be used instead of the Dow which is obsolete now
2)stock prices are almost deceiving to retail investors...things shod be quotes in market caps instead of an arbitrary stock price number that just depends on how many shares the company has issued

I agree 100%... Also, two other pet peeves I have are:
1)S&P 500 should be used instead of the Dow which is obsolete now
2)stock prices are almost deceiving to retail investors...things shod be quotes in market caps instead of an arbitrary stock price number that just depends on how many shares the company has issued

The Dow Jones Industrial Average has been obsolete for the better part of a century now... it's still used because of silly historical reasons. Kind of like the imperial units system :cool:.

A bit of sell the rumor now, eh? Glad I followed my own advice and got out all those calls this morning though missing the intraday peak by about $1.50. I will stick to my thesis though that we'll see a further sell-off after the show tonight. Mr. Market is harder and harder to impress and has come to expect more and more from Tesla and TSLA.

From CNBC: market on close orders greater than $500m to sell.

Is that the reason for the dive happening across the market right now?

With the price sitting where it is, I still believe in an upside at this point, even without Model X or Model 3. The 250s is just too low. However I am still set up for a move in either direction. I really hope whatever direction TSLA wants to go after this news, is also the same direction the overall Market wants to move so it inflates the move even more rather than fighting against the Market and potentially going flat.

Betty Liu interview with Elon tonight:

Betty Liu on Twitter:

Trish Regan on Bloomberg said out loud on camera that Tesla "are ending the D mystery tonight by unveiling a dual motor all-wheel-drive version as well as Driver Assist functionality at their event tonight."

She said it right as the closing bell was sounding. Perhaps she had been tipped off by Betty Liu.

Just thinking, a sweet bonus with all this media and public focus on Tesla tonight would be Elon finding an opening to slip in a comment about how twisted the reporting was last month about his own comments about TSLA's price, and a reiteration of EM's "long term buy rating" on the stock.

Just thinking, a sweet bonus with all this media and public focus on Tesla tonight would be Elon finding an opening to slip in a comment about how twisted the reporting was last month about his own comments about TSLA's price, and a reiteration of EM's "long term buy rating" on the stock.
Yeah, I hope he says "After the revelations this evening, I think the stock is grossly undervalued. And wait 'till you see our Q3 earnings report."

A man can dream.

Yeah, I hope he says "After the revelations this evening, I think the stock is grossly undervalued. And wait 'till you see our Q3 earnings report."

A man can dream.

I'd settle for something like,

Question X

Answer to Question X "I better be careful how I answer that question. Last month I said the stock was a good long term investment, but short-term movements are not so predictable, and that got reported as "Musk thinks TSLA is overvalued.""

Status
Not open for further replies.