Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Note in the new Design Studio - the '+' option is gone. I would surmise that Tesla has incorporated all the '+' suspension parts into all the Performance trim cars now and they are not charging extra for it. Another sign that the factory reconfiguration has really brought some cost efficiencies into play.

Design studio is back up with dual-drive options.

The S85 range goes from 265 miles to 295 miles with dual motors!!

Wow so that range increase is worth an incremental 9.6 kWh. Priced at $4000, this is like $208/kWh grossed up 50%. I'm making this comparison because often we think that the price of EVs is all about the battery. But this shows there is a lot more to getting more range out of batteries than just cheaper batteries.

I am pleased that the 60D is looking more attractive, more like a 70kWh at $75000. I hope this also means that the X will not be priced too much higher than the S.

I'm also wondering if the Model 3 could get 200 range on 40kWh if it included dual motors. Digital control might also make higher efficiency driving posible.

OMG. I had to miss everything that happened this evening and just caught up.

LMFAO. This is such an advance - it is a fully integrated car as demonstrated by the auto-pilot. No way anyone has anything close to this. Will take a complete white sheet design and a white sheet approach to procurement by legacy automakers.

And it got MORE EFFICIENT!!!

And FASTER!!

It is going to take weeks for all of this to sink in.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Let's not get complacent. The competition is hard at work too... have a look at this i8 demonstration (said very much with tongue in cheek. if you don't want to watch the video, bottom line, owning this car you'd be scared to even open the hood lest you crack it among other design limitations. wow, is Tesla ahead of the competition).

i8 how to open the doors and the hood - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Design studio is back up with dual-drive options.

The S85 range goes from 265 miles to 295 miles with dual motors!!

It looks likes there's been a great improvement. That said, this is a bit apples to oranges... 265 is the EPA on the existing rear wheel drive 85, 295 is "miles range at 65 mph" for the new 85D (highway, city, mix, unspecified).

the "Your Questions Answered" Range section of the TM website shows the existing 85 rear wheel drive having ranges of 261 highway and 292 city at 65 mph (no climate control on). So, there's some unknowns in comparing... how much is city vs. highway in epa testing, does the 85D 295 mile range assume no climate control, perhaps something else I'm missing. If climate control is not skewing, and epa is roughly half city half highway, I guess it's about 19 miles improvement for the 85D over the 85.

No! The design center on teslamotors.com is showing the beloved lacewood option is gone! Oh well, was replaced by supercar!

edit:
Also noticing the HPWC has been reduced to $750 and you can't pick performance seats anymore in the "Interior" section...

edit2:
The performance seats now require the P85 (just like the old days!)

Last edited:
Let's not get complacent. The competition is hard at work too... have a look at this i8 demonstration (said very much with tongue in cheek. if you don't want to watch the video, bottom line, owning this car you'd be scared to even open the hood lest you crack it among other design limitations. wow, is Tesla ahead of the competition).

i8 how to open the doors and the hood - YouTube

Thanks for the laugh:). I didn't realize their were so many pain points in operating a I8.

In my opinion, the most understated ability is the ability to summon your car to you. It is something that is cool and most analyst won't get. It is something exclusive that shows you are special. Imagine how many people will be showing this off to their friends. I am now contemplating a Model S just so I can do a "Summon" and grin. People have spent 120k on sillier things.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you to all those who reported.

Target $300 with $320 as the intra top due to piercing of even number. Target date one week before Q3 release. So 4th week of october after the opex.

December call 250~300 spread with the other half at 320 that will be bought back once stock drop back down from 320.

After some thought. There need to be insurance for when accidents happen during autopilot. Elon can preempt the media headline now. Or let the eventual "Robot car kills pedestrian" headline drive the stock down and give us another opportunity to buy.

Last edited:
Remember last year's "trilogy" in five parts designed to create a tsunami of hurt for short sellers? Separated unveiling events should have a similar effect this year. Elon knows what he is doing. It worked before, and it should work again.
November X event.
December/January 3 event.

If Tesla went this route, you can be sure all of us will wish we had invested more in the upside potential of TSLA in October.

TSLA down in Frankfurt and just opened down around $252 pre-market. Long way to go till end of bell tonight so we'll see how it plays out. I'm surprised though. I think, like Causalien and others here that TSLA will march upwards the coming weeks as people digest what Tesla just showed the world last night. The future is here.

his engineers: oh sh*t, not again elon.. we're still getting that roadster battery ready
Hehe.

- - - Updated - - -

If I was an executive of another auto manufacturer, I would be soiling my pants right now, realizing how far behind my company's R&D is, and would be tripping over myself to begin talks on further cooperation / technology transfer with Tesla, ASAP.
Correction, IMO:
If I was an executive of another auto manufacturer, I would be soiling my pants right now, realizing how far behind my company's R&D is, and would be tripping over myself to begin talks on further cooperation / technology transfer from Tesla, ASAP.

The list of "what other car companies can offer Tesla in the realm of education" is shrinking quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

In my opinion, the most understated ability is the ability to summon your car to you. It is something that is cool and most analyst won't get. It is something exclusive that shows you are special. Imagine how many people will be showing this off to their friends. I am now contemplating a Model S just so I can do a "Summon" and grin. People have spent 120k on sillier things.
Definitely trumps the door handles.

Thank you to all those who reported.

That's like calling your horse to come to the rescue

So we are bleeding over $6 negative now.. would appreciate any input to any potential Q4 impact..? good.. bad.. no effect? Everybody's talking about how great the event last night was and few want to talk about the short term price impact? scrolling back a few pages and the closest discussion I can see is if tesla is not delivering the D straightaway then Q4 will be impacted by deferrals and cancellations while people switch to the D.. and that everyone is expecting a sell on the news? I'm hoping for an upgrade or two is that even possible since there's no X reveal?

Status
Not open for further replies.