Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When we all give up on the stock is when I think it will go back up...as long as there is a contingent that thinks the stock will rebound tomorrow tells me we still have farther down to go

just like when we're in a euphoric rise...once everyone gets on board that the stock will keep going up is when it seems to reverse course.

the good news is that I see less and less of these hopeful and optimistic posts on here trying to will the price back up with optimism on the company's future (TSLA stock and Tesla Motors the company are two very different things...they will both end up very successful but their paths to get there can be very different)
The TMC sentiment indicator worked really well in the past, when novices were buying LEAPS for the first time or when fear was rampant after the fires many pointed out the extremes & mid term turning points soon followed, so its something I try to gauge & trade.

Some observations of mine but unfortunantly no conclusions as far as sentiment goes.
1. Long time contributers who were mostly bulls no longer post here, did they cash out or just staying silent I don't know.
2. The use of the label "FUD" is at a all time high, TSLA has had larger corrections but I don't remember FUD being thrown around this much, is the frustration higher now? Is it because some of these investors missed out on the big run & bought near the highs? Maybe some is fair but its used in every other post it seems.

Wheres 8 Ball when you need him?

Ben Kallo of Baird weighs in on the Company and TSLA:

• events in China are all part of the restructuring that Elon talked about earlier in the the year at the Detroit motor show
  • Sales in China actually oicked uo in China since then
  • TM can hit yearly (55K) guidance without China; if sales there will pickup, that will be gravy on top
  • A lot of erroneous reports are circulated about the GF, everybody is looking for a reason to sell

Teslas new China strategy | Watch the video - Yahoo Finance

Last edited:
The TMC sentiment indicator worked really well in the past, when novices were buying LEAPS for the first time or when fear was rampant after the fires many pointed out the extremes & mid term turning points soon followed, so its something I try to gauge & trade.

Some observations of mine but unfortunantly no conclusions as far as sentiment goes.
1. Long time contributers who were mostly bulls no longer post here, did they cash out or just staying silent I don't know.
2. The use of the label "FUD" is at a all time high, TSLA has had larger corrections but I don't remember FUD being thrown around this much, is the frustration higher now? Is it because some of these investors missed out on the big run & bought near the highs? Maybe some is fair but its used in every other post it seems.

Here on the Tesla forum we hear from both traders and investors. The traders have been beaten down lately by the seemingly-nonstop flow of negative press (even when they can see that Tesla the company marches on towards its rendezvous with destiny: launch of the Model 3). Many traders are quiet because they placed short-term bets that looked like good bets, only to have the plan foiled by news outlets all too willing to exaggerate relatively minor issues with the car company. Many are licking their wounds. As for the investors, they for the most part see TSLA is still on track, but the process of being a TSLA investor hasn't been so fun during much of 2014. As for the novice investors buying leaps, they're getting the education of a lifetime, hearing how a few of their contemporaries came up short with Jan 2015s. I suspect they're becoming smarter investors, figuring out how not to get bitten, how to protect their flanks. Mostly, the investors recite a mantra so quietly you may not hear it: "our time is coming."

Last edited:
When we all give up on the stock is when I think it will go back up...as long as there is a contingent that thinks the stock will rebound tomorrow tells me we still have farther down to go

I'm not sure many people think the stock will rebound anytime soon. I certainly don't, because I believe we are in an "uncertainty" period right now, similar to the period before the deliveries of the first Model S and even for some time after.

During this period, TSLA was stuck in the $30 range for months, with some random movement each way. First there was significant doubt that Tesla could even get to the delivery stage, and then there was doubt that they could mass produce and support Model S. That uncertainty was destroyed over the past two years.

Now the stock is sitting at around $190, a price that was unimaginable 2 years ago, but not going anywhere. There's uncertainty, justified or not. Will Model X finally ship after years of delay? Will China sales pick up after the recent completion of housecleaning and reorganization? Will the Gigafactory actually bring battery costs down?

Those of us who have faith that Tesla will make good on its plans (and that's what it is, I am under no illusion that it's anything but trust and hope over a situation where I have no control) might think the stock should go up. But there are plenty of market participants who don't have that faith and won't be satisfied until there's concrete progress.

The chances of a rebound are slim absent new progress.

People are frustrated, understandably, because some had huge and seemingly easy gains in 2013 and 2014.

Everything price wise grinding to a halt and sliding backwards, combined with a lot of misinformation in the media and deliberate attempts by people in the financial industry to attack the stock price, is frustrating in this context. It's not unexpected though. The truth is that many journalists are stupid, and many fund managers and analysts who lost money betting against TSLA in 2013 and 2014 are humiliated and out for revenge.

Basically, I'm saying that there's no big easy fast money in short term moves now. The next chance for that IMO is whenever (if it happens) Model X delivers financially and critically. If Tesla has a blowout quarter due to Model X boosting profit, ASP, Gross Margins, etc, and the press loves the car, it will be pandemonium on the short side. Figure out when this could happen and a short-term bet might pay off.

I understand people will want to play the short-term trading game even though I advise against it. Mostly I say be smart about it -- fear and uncertainty almost always beat nuance and understanding in the short term. It's only when the reality is so blunt and undeniable (like a superb quarterly report or shipping product that all the car mags love) that big and sustained gains happen.

The traders have been beaten down lately by the seemingly-nonstop flow of negative press (even when they can see that Tesla the company marches on towards its rendezvous with destiny: launch of the Model 3). Many traders are quiet because they placed short-term bets that looked like good bets, only to have the plan foiled by news outlets all too willing to exaggerate relatively minor issues with the car company.

If I were a trader, I wouldn't be trying to play TSLA right now. My strategy would be to monitor Tesla closely, and when Model X launches, attempt to ascertain how well the production ramps up, and its impact on the next quarterly earnings.

That's the time to deploy $ -- before the good news hits.

Yet another positive note, this time from Credit Suisse - they are bullish both on share price and demand. The digest by Streetinsider.com:

Credit Suisse analyst D. Galves reiterated an Outperform rating and $290 price target on Tesla Motors
saying they remain constructive on demand and the shares despite lingering questions coming out of the 10-K and earnings call.Galves views 2015 as a challenging year for demand, upside exist this year and into 2016.
"As we've noted repeatedly, 2015 is a challenging year for demand (Model S's 3rd year of US sales, Model X not meaningfully available until late 2015, China not yet a big market)," the analyst commented. "While these demand risks are driving poor share performance today, the reward is very high if Tesla can deliver 45k-50k Model S's in this environment. In our view, that would make 100k+ Model S / Model X units very probable in the 2016 / 2017 time-frame, leading to substantial near-term share upside."

More detail on the Credit Suisse note, from Barron's:
  • Backlog at the end of Q4 is more than double the end of 2013 backlog, while production and deliveries in Q4 highest in the history
  • Having unsold inventory at stores is not mutually exclusive with being production-constrained, particularly give disruption caused by Dual-Motor launch

Tesla Motors Has a Demand ProblemOr Does It? - Stocks to Watch - Barrons.com

Some sage advice from experience in excellent recent posts. I'll add to consider 'external' short term effects that TSLA will follow:
General market is due for some correction
Fed is due to raise rates which will invariably induce market down pressure
Oil may well have more downside according to data- certainly won't be recovering very quickly

Traders and Investors may want to adjust at least the time frames of expectations if not the risk levels

1.)I have wondered the same, things change over time. We still see many of the long time contributors pop in from time to time, my feeling is that they don't have as much time on their hands anymore to be active on these boards and aren't playing TSLA short term but instead investing for longer term inTSLA

If I were a trader, I wouldn't be trying to play TSLA right now. My strategy would be to monitor Tesla closely, and when Model X launches, attempt to ascertain how well the production ramps up, and its impact on the next quarterly earnings.

That's the time to deploy $ -- before the good news hits.

It's very difficult to time the market, but one could try...

Some sage advice from experience in excellent recent posts. I'll add to consider 'external' short term effects that TSLA will follow:
Fed is due to raise rates which will invariably induce market down pressure
Oil may well have more downside according to data- certainly won't be recovering very quickly

Traders and Investors may want to adjust at least the time frames of expectations if not the risk levels

Mostly agree with some minor additions. Feds raising interest rates may initially cause a down cycle (we have been in one for awhile now), but it would also signify that the US economy is healthy enough to stand on its own two feet. Which in turn allows Tesla to sell more cars in its strongest market. Oil is unpredictable, some institutions have recently cut its bearish position and started buying back into oil, betting that it won't drop much further. Just how many of these bets are being placed or sold, is anyone's guess. Q1 has been historically a low demand month for oil, it starts to pick up some wind in Q2 and with summer coming, you can bet people will be traveling again. This, however, does not benefit short term traders, I wouldn't dare to touch that game with a stick. My recommendation is go long, unless you are buying puts, then a few months out would suffice.

Ben Kallo of Baird weighs in on the Company and TSLA:

• events in China are all part of the restructuring that Elon talked about earlier in the the year at the Detroit motor show
  • Sales in China actually oicked uo in China since then
  • TM can hit yearly (55K) guidance without China; if sales there will pickup, that will be gravy on top
  • A lot of erroneous reports are circulated about the GF, everybody is looking for a reason to sell

Teslas new China strategy | Watch the video - Yahoo Finance

It can take weeks or months for Tesla and the market to turn around. The good news is we are closer to home storage solutions, X, Gigafactory and M3 is making progress.... my rule of thumb is that if the story doesn't change, I buy more on the dip. Being an overweight long in a down market does have its advantages, any savings left aside from paychecks goes straight into buying more TSLA. If your time horizon is long, this is a gift, if your time horizon is short I don't recommend being in stocks at this moment. I remember when TSLA was around $35 in 2013, I was contemplating to myself "I don't want this stock to take off just yet", during that time, I had additional money coming in but needed a bit more time. The stock eventually took off and never looked back, although I was happy, it felt bitter sweet. Events unraveling lately sure does not feel like Tesla will take off anytime soon, we almost need perfect storm for this to occur. If stationary storage reveal turns out well, followed by Elon tweeting an early beat on estimates, followed by X and reaffirm 55K deliveries. However, as a long, I really don't need a perfect storm, a mini one at this moment would be pleasant enough, its back to baby steps at a time, just like 2012.

We have lives to get back to that we've thrown away since the IPO and the great recession. I don't speak for others but my attitude right now is:

Pay me.

I've provided free advice on TSLA for too long. By now you should've made a **** ton off of it. If not, I can't help you.

LOL.

Mostly agree with some minor additions. Feds raising interest rates may initially cause a down cycle (we have been in one for awhile now), but it would also signify that the US economy is healthy enough to stand on its own two feet.

I think it's possible that the stock market has a correction at some point this year. But I don't understand how we're in a "down cycle" right now or how it's reasonable to worry about a general downturn when all the major indexes are extremely strong at the moment and only a few points / days off of all time highs.

The general market seems very bullish to me. I believe this selloff is overdone and I am a buyer of shares at this level.

I, my wife, and our son's ESA have been long since $28.

We're overweight. (Well, a tad bit in more ways than one.)

We don't do leaps, puts, calls, bridges or backbends.

We bought more early today.

Call us crazy.

Congrats, and not so crazy. Buying on the dip in this stock has proven to be a smart strategy over time.

I think it's possible that the stock market has a correction at some point this year. But I don't understand how we're in a "down cycle" right now or how it's reasonable to worry about a general downturn when all the major indexes are extremely strong at the moment and only a few points / days off of all time highs.

The general market seems very bullish to me. I believe this selloff is overdone and I am a buyer of shares at this level.

Sometimes the market is irrational, either that, or we are the dumb*** who needs the wake up call. Given the amount of effort dedication on this forum, I believe I am in good company and on the right side of the bet. I've been in Tesla long enough to learn that rejoicing over gains or figuring out these down cycles are meaningless once Gen 3 arrives. There is no equation we can use to figure out the market, only gut plays to rely on...unfortunately, I don't trust anyone's guts as much as I trust Elon and what my logic tells me--HOLD and BUY on dips...

...But I don't understand how we're in a "down cycle" right now or how it's reasonable to worry about a general downturn when all the major indexes are extremely strong at the moment and only a few points / days off of all time highs.

The general market seems very bullish to me.

That's precisley when corrections occur. Fed talk of interest rate rise one catalyst. I agree TSLA on its own is over-sold; with markets at all time highs and impending Fed rate increases are recipes for a correction, so my advice is to enter/add TSLA very carefully here rather than what might seem like an all in opportunity...

Status
Not open for further replies.