Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you please let this go?
Most of the thread wants mao here and disagrees with you. This may be the wrong past to quote, but your last response to mao suffers from the same issues you are pointing out. I'm not interested in getting in a snippiness battle with you or anyone, but we would all be well served if the other ongoing snippiness ended.

First, I've never said I didn't want maoing here nor did I offer an opinion on that subject, so 'most of the thread (disagreeing with me)' about such would be disagreeing with their imaginations at best.

Second, I understand that not everyone will like my brand of funny, but if it helps maoing understand why he's so often met with um...resistance...then that'd give him a chance to change his posting style a bit and thus be received more warmly. Since that seems to be what he wants. I will also remind you that he often 'starts it', such as his last posting. I'm not buying the 'English is the second language' reason as to why he gets backlash because he sure nailed sarcasm and few other negative qualities in just one sentence.

On topic: The unicorn may stay in the barn, or it might venture out next week. :wink: (Yeah, that's also suppose to be funny and I make no apologies for not taking life too seriously.)

Thank you to all the contributors in this thread.

I do not post much, or understand many of the strategies or investment options (I am long, buy and hold), but read it all, and appreciate everyone here.

May everyone have a happy, safe and prosperous New Year.

Options Bulls Bombard Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Amid Positive Delivery News - Schaeffer's Investment Research

Huge number of calls expiring on December 31st?!
OPTIONS BULLS BOMBARD TESLA MOTORS INC (TSLA) AMID POSITIVE DELIVERY NEWS

12/30/2015 2:25 PM
Call buyers have been flocking to Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) at a rapid-fire rate during the past two weeks. In fact, the electric automaker boasts a 10-day International Securities Exchange (ISE), Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE), and NASDAQ OMX PHLX (PHLX) call/put volume ratio of 1.65. This reading -- which shows almost twice as many calls as puts have been bought to open -- stands higher than all others from the past year. Said simply, there's been a bigger-than-normal appetite for long TSLA calls recently.

It's more of the same today, with calls crossing at twice the average intraday pace. It appears traders are taking a relatively short-term approach, considering the weekly 12/31 series accounts for the seven most popular strikes today. Leading the way are the 240-, 242.50-, and 245-strike calls, with data suggesting buy-to-open activity. If traders are in fact opening fresh bullish positions at these strikes, they're betting on TSLA to explore more upside before tomorrow's close, when the weekly series expires.

Short-term bulls may be looking to take advantage of relatively low premiums on the electric car stock's near-term options. TSLA's Schaeffer's Volatility Index (SVI) sits at 40%, which is lower than three-quarters of readings from the past year. This tells us that, from a volatility standpoint, the stock's options can be had for a relative bargain at the moment.

<Snip>

TSLA was a good trading stock this week. It held nice trends throughout the day, with no more than one reversal/day when i was watching it. I got caught in yesterday's reversal but stopped out my position quickly and made it up on the beautiful downtrend in the afternoon. Today i bought 10x 12/31 242.5c @ 1.00 and sold a few minutes later @ 1.25.

They were worth 0 by EOD. With options a proper exit is just as important as a proper entrance.

Happy New Year everyone! I also get so much great information, insights and perspectives from this thread. I don't post much, but have read every post since March 2013. Here's wishing everyone a great 2016, with Tesla clawing it's way along the path to sustainable transport, and TSLA humming along for the ride! Thanks to everyone!

I debated for quite a while about posting this but in the end felt an obligation to do so. Sorry to start off the new year this way, jut felt everyone should know. Obviously we'll hear more about the cause of this later. Could very well have been not related to the car or supercharger.

A Model S just caught fire while supercharging in Norway (link in Norwegian) : teslamotors

Thanks for the link! I had already read about it on this year's thread, but this is a place for information exchange and it is always better to make informed investment decisions.

The facts will come out soon or eventually, and as long as we have them early we can benefit.

Good thing it's a long weekend! Hoping for some balancing positive news as well!

Good luck & Happy New Year, all!

With 238 model X produced in last week of December, thing becomes clear. I trust my logic instead of imagination “every other car off the line is the X.”

It would be a valid reason if only it didn't fly in the face of everything we've actually heard from legit sources about Model X ramp.

Tesla spokesperson: Tesla starts shipping "Signature Series" Model X cars to customers - Fortune

Cleantechnica source inside Tesla: CleanTechnica Exclusive: Tesla Model X Production Kicks into High Gear

So you could trust one of these sources, or trust your imagination.

238 is 1 out 5 cars produced. Not quite the optimistic forecast of some sources, but in line with Tesla's own ramp schedule of several hundred per week by year end. Nowhere does this validate a slower X ramp than Tesla expected.

But, this does not validate a faster than expected ramp either, simply in line. So I guess it is still possible for your imagination to come true. In which case, uh... congratulations on the money you are about to lose? :confused:

Be conservative will make you survive better. It's not only true for 2015 but also for 2016 especially considering the rate hike and no QE money flow into the market. If people always be super optimitic about TSLA, I think it's most likely they will lose money in 2015 although TSLA gained about 7% YTD.

Historically TM didn't execute model X well, so it's safer bet to assume they will be slow even in the next a few quarters until we see solid proof. I don't think magic will happen drastically. For any news here, we don't lack cheerleading. With more and more cheerleading for Q4 delivery #, I'll be again conservative. Currently I only have 50% in TSLA long, another 50% cash will be reserved for Q4 miss or macros pull back. If TSLA pops up to 250 on Monday, then I'm fine and I'm sure TSLA will be back to 220-240 again due to rough 2016.

The first trading day of 2016 gives the lesson of how important to view TSLA conservatively and avoid betting on cheerleading event!

btw, I unloaded 25% long position on 12/31 just based on the hype sentiment in TMC. And I'm planning to buy back ~220. It's very close now. What a trade! Ironically I'll get blamed if I posted such last week.

Last edited:
The first trading day of 2016 gives the lesson of how important to view TSLA conservatively and avoid betting on cheerleading event!

btw, I unloaded 25% long position on 12/31 just based on the hype sentiment in TMC. And I'm planning to buy back ~220. It's very close now. What a trade! Ironically I'll get blamed if I posted such last week.

The first day of trading has nothing to do with having a TSLA conservative view or betting on a cheerleading event. Macro event. But then you know that. Your post is yet another example of why you so often get flack here; it's of your own doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.