Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Citizen-T: Another instance, the article which came out about electric car resale values. Not only was the article, which mainly talked about Leafs in Georgia, wrong to begin with (because the author didn't take rebates into account - thus imagining that a 30k car lost 12.5k of value immediately, even though that money was given to the buyer in rebates), but *also* there was an analyst note based off of the wrong article which suggested that Tesla's resale value will be similarly affected, even though the article said Teslas didn't have this "problem" (because the Model S costs more, so a rebate makes up a smaller percentage of the total cost, so the "drop" in price doesn't look at bad).

As for malice, I emailed the author and she eventually got back to me, defending her article, contradicting herself mid-email, and otherwise showing incompetence. It is entirely possible that it was driven by malice, though, because had she just been ignorant, then she would have updated the article when given new information. She didn't, so there may well have been an agenda there. It could be a mixture of malice and ignorance in more than just this case.

An Apple-Tesla Deal? Some Shareholders Wish

Cook said Apple doesn’t have a relationship with Tesla. He said he wished that Tesla would join other automakers in using CarPlay, Apple’s in-car efforts to bring the iPhone to the dashboard. He capped his answer by saying: “Was that a good way to avoid the question?”

It's interesting to see how market will interpret this news, it could be either way.

It sounds like announcement of the CPO program is imminent, from this thread: New Owner - 3 issues; Alignment, Taillight bugs, seatbelt Noise

Member SabrToothSqrl bought an official CPO car (received a small CPO brochure) and was told the program hadn't been announced yet. Paramus, NJ is a brand-new freshly-painted hub with dozens of cars apparently waiting to be refurbished.

Great info., I wonder when TSLA will officially launch this program?

It sounds like announcement of the CPO program is imminent, from this thread: New Owner - 3 issues; Alignment, Taillight bugs, seatbelt Noise

Member SabrToothSqrl bought an official CPO car (received a small CPO brochure) and was told the program hadn't been announced yet. Paramus, NJ is a brand-new freshly-painted hub with dozens of cars apparently waiting to be refurbished.

Thanks for posting this Mike.

What's more, apparently, some of the increased finished goods inventory Lovallo and Johnson speculated was an indication of falling demand is Tesla transitioning from using third parties to resell traded in Teslas to having a CPO program (I'm assuming used vehicles are also included in finished goods).

FUD from the future: Sure, Tesla may have sold 3.7 million cars last year, but we believe demand is stalling. What's more, Audi will release their long awaited Tesla Killer within three years.

Thank you, I needed a good laugh before I go to bed.

Being in Tesla has really taught me a valuable lesson as an investor, and that is if you believe in a potentially disruptive company, just ignore the noise and get over the fear factor nonsense that your stock is about to collapse... Although I am numb to these types of fear mongering, I couldn't have gotten through this phase, and held as long as I did without contribution from other longs that frequent this forum. I appreciate the humor hahah

Looks like Yahoo published something positive about CPO:

Tesla Motors Inc Used Cars Could Unleash Hidden Profits

So the CPO program makes a lot of sense now that the Model S is getting 3-4 years old and a number of owners have opted to trade in for a "D" or are planning to switch to an "X". It also fits nicely into Tesla's business model of direct sales - hands up if you think used car dealers are any better than new car dealers... thought so. It may also be very important at this stage as it raises confidence in older vehicles, which is critical as people may be concerned about EVs with used batteries or early bugs. BTW, this may very well be "Elon's secret demand weapon".

Another thing this could achieve is stabilize the price of used Teslas at a level that comfortably de-risks the company from the financial burden of the price guarantee they introduced. They may even be able to eliminate that program without much panic in the market (not that FUDsters won't jump on this anyway). And yes, this may even explain the inventory "issue", though I never bought it being one as the company still only builds to order. But it may also decrease wait times as some buyers may opt for a used car instead. It will certainly bring in people from lower income brackets who would not be able to afford a new Model S.

If they lay out their case nicely when they launch this, it may even boost TSLA a bit. In any case, they'll be selling the same car twice, with profit. That doesn't sound like a bad deal to me as an investor. :)

Last edited:
Regarding CPO, I feel that Tesla may not officially release the program now because it may draw potential buyers attention and affect new car sales. Its a tough act to release such a program specially when many potential buyers are anticipating the unveiling of Model X details. Q2, in that terms may be difficult to achieve for sales. Shoot me down with differing thoughts, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.