Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one of the most interesting comments from Elon was "the software in the Model S is taking advantage of only a small percent of the hardware and computer power."

Agreed - such a killer quote that seems to have been completely overlooked. This could have huge implication as time goes along i.e. The Model S I bought in 2012 is better than any ICE car that's being released in 2017. In today's world, that would be absolutely INSANE to think about.

Agreed - such a killer quote that seems to have been completely overlooked. This could have huge implication as time goes along i.e. The Model S I bought in 2012 is better than any ICE car that's being released in 2017. In today's world, that would be absolutely INSANE to think about.

Indeed. I'm sure NVidia shareholders are excited to be the compute-power hardware providers for the Model X and more than likely, the Model III. Incidentally, I now want an NVidia Titan X. :)

For those interested. I don't think anyone has posted this link. The hearing is at 3:30pm.

I wonder why no major news outlets have written anything about Elon speaking at the GPU conference. :confused: Maybe Elon's comments and the information discussed during the keynote went above most of their heads?

"Representatives from the U.S. launch industry’s two biggest rivals — SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell and United Launch Alliance Chief Executive Tory Bruno — will face off at a U.S. House subcommittee hearing March 17."

Hearings - Hearings - Armed Services Republicans

Last edited:
Fair enough, you are free to bet as you will. But Elon did not speak to exclusivity of topic at the Nvidia conference.

And neither did he let anything else slip, hinted, eluded to, or expressed 'and something else' as is his usual habit. Indeed, per his usual habits he gave more info when asked in an interview than originally, in this case expressly said Thursday's press call is about the contents of 6.2. So for that reason, I'm once again - which has never led me wrong - just going to take him at his (twitter) words.

And neither did he let anything else slip, hinted, eluded to, or expressed 'and something else' as is his usual habit. Indeed, per his usual habits he gave more info when asked in an interview than originally, in this case expressly said Thursday's press call is about the contents of 6.2. So for that reason, I'm once again - which has never led me wrong - just going to take him at his (twitter) words.

The statement that the "software in the Model S is taking advantage of only a small percent of the hardware" does not mean that we know all the hardware in the current cars. It is possible, if not likely, that there is hidden hardware that none of us know about that will be activated with an OTA update to 6.2. This scenario fits very well with the tweet and his comments at the Nvidia conference. My dream is a metal-air battery/connection that will be activated by 6.2, but activation of other unknown hardware is also very possible.

The statement that the "software in the Model S is taking advantage of only a small percent of the hardware" does not mean that we know all the hardware in the current cars. It is possible, if not likely, that there is hidden hardware that none of us know about that will be activated with an OTA update to 6.2. This scenario fits very well with the tweet and his comments at the Nvidia conference. My dream is a metal-air battery/connection that will be activated by 6.2, but activation of other unknown hardware is also very possible.
Most of this unused hardware is for auto-pilot and autonomous features, IMO.

My crawling display begs to differ with the idea that they are using only a small percentage of the computing power. The browser is basically unusably slow. The Nvidia chips they are using they sourced in what 2010?

Yea the interface is definitely not as smooth as it could be... I was hoping they would be announcing some new version of Tegra they would be integrating into newer Models.

Most of this unused hardware is for auto-pilot and autonomous features, IMO.

Agreed, but this does not eliminate the possibility of other 'hidden' hardware, especially in the most recent builds.

Why suddenly stop allowing a second charger to put in the car during manufacturing? Maybe to make room for other hardware? I know, wild speculation, but it is so much fun:biggrin:

SolarCity Launches GridLogic, A Global Microgrid Service
Not sure if anyone posted this already. SolarCity has announced GridLogic, a microgrid service that integrates PV, batteries and load management. This most certainly implicates Tesla, and I would expect the soon to be enveiled new HomeGrid product to integrate fully with this, plug and play.

AudubonB, could this be what we were dreaming about?

Agreed, but this does not eliminate the possibility of other 'hidden' hardware, especially in the most recent builds.

Why suddenly stop allowing a second charger to put in the car during manufacturing? Maybe to make room for other hardware? I know, wild speculation, but it is so much fun:biggrin:

I dream of the day that Tesla manufactures every car EXACTLY the same way (even down to the paint), and using software, anything in the car becomes activated/deactivated based on what you choose to buy as options.

Want a chrome color? Pay $3000 to have it forever as an option, or $300 for a month's use (advanced materials usage 5-10 years from now maybe who knows)
Want the super awesome duper sound system? Pay $2000 to have it forever as an option, or $150 for a month's use (install every car with the high fidelity equipment, but lower quality through software)
Want wood paneling? Pay $5000 to have it forever as an option, or $1000 for a month's use (make the dash flip itself inside/out or whatever.

You hacked the car so you can use everything? Congrats! You're on your own for any repairs! Oh, and no warranty, ever!

Is this crazy?

I think one of the most interesting comments from Elon was "the software in the Model S is taking advantage of only a small percent of the hardware and computer power."

He also said later in the chat that the current hardware platform is not enough and his engineers need a bigger sensors suite and more compute power in the car, to enable autonomous driving in urban environments with speeds between 10 and 50 mph.

The most interesting comments I heard (from an investor perspective) is that he thinks Tesla will be the leader in autonomous driving.

I'm bearish at this time. nothing short of such a "golden trojan horse" is likely to move the stock upward with this announcement, IMHO. I hope that Elon has not simultaneously made a mountain out of a mole hill while also setting expectations so high they can not be met. By singling out range anxiety as a big issue with the S, the risk is that it's creating the market perception that this has somehow cropped up as a problem for owners. The S has solved range anxiety better than any EV, particularly with the latest software release. it may still be in the minds of prospective owners but barely an issue post purchase. the arena where range anxiety is still an issue is in long distance travel, particularly with destination charging. it's not so much a fear of getting stranded as it is a niggle in the back of the mind, something that adds tedium, which results in a modicum of anxiety. the only true cure, and this is after 75,000 miles of EV driving since 2011, would be to add some kind of range extender, making all day driving beyond super chargers possible and relieving the occasional stress of finding charging away from super chargers while at ones destination. faced with wanting to liquidate some TSLA soonish, I have to weigh the possibility that the announcement will underwhelm and cause a slide in price, making pre announcement the time to sell, vs the slight possibility that something truly worthy of a press releaase is about to be revealed, something much more than one would typically associate with a software update, something involving "hidden" hardware that would enable a metal air extender to be added or what, unmanned ROV's located throughout the world that can seamlessly intercept with you while driving down the highway and top up your battery from a large battery bank. while I'm dreaming, another true cure for range anxiety would be wirelessly charging while under way via satellite micro wave, which might fall into the category of only requiring a software update. all I can say is this better be good or it could mean hurt in the short term for TSLA.

SolarCity Launches GridLogic, A Global Microgrid Service
Not sure if anyone posted this already. SolarCity has announced GridLogic, a microgrid service that integrates PV, batteries and load management. This most certainly implicates Tesla, and I would expect the soon to be enveiled new HomeGrid product to integrate fully with this, plug and play.

AudubonB, could this be what we were dreaming about?

Well, given the nightmare I'm having in Alaska right now - with our whole electrical system - I need to tell Messrs Musk&Musk that our little community is perfect for in-the-wild testing of their new reveal.

And I mean In The Wild in its most literal sense......:cool:

I dream of the day that Tesla manufactures every car EXACTLY the same way (even down to the paint), and using software, anything in the car becomes activated/deactivated based on what you choose to buy as options.

You hacked the car so you can use everything? Congrats! You're on your own for any repairs! Oh, and no warranty, ever!

Is this crazy?

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. It's one thing to include supercharging hardware on everyone's cars because you know only 5% won't activate it, and another thing to sell a 100k car for 70k and hope people want to spend the extra 30k down the line. I could see limited use of this kind of thing but adding software to make cars worse? That's weird, and wouldn't be good optics either. Also you can't invalidate the whole cars warranty for changing one part of the car. There's laws covering that.

Status
Not open for further replies.