Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As things iterate and innovate with this tech, solar is just a wavelength of many along the electromagnetic spectrum...
Actually, solar radiation is a spectrum of wavelengths. Primarily visible light and infrared.

If you look at high-end three or four junction cells, which utilize almost the entire spectrum of solar radiation, they have an efficiency at best close to 40% unconcentrated. If we could make these cells at the current cost of polycrystalline silicon cells, the break even would be maybe 15 years in Norway, but it still wouldn't be an extremely obvious choice to install solar.

Reactions: Johan
If anyone is actually interested in the details of SCTY ABS, here you go

KBRA ABS SolarCity LMC Series IV LLC Series 2015-1 New Issue Report

There is a whole bunch of detail, but the basics

1. Each ABS (asset back security) starts out with about 35% more systems than is needed to payback the asset backed loan
2. The bond rating agency assumes loss of system output over the years on two main levels - panel degradation & customer default, but also includes inverter replacement, maintenance fees and servicing fees when calculating cash flows prior to payback of interest + principal
3. The rating agent details stress tests - for example one assumes a 9.4% system default rate, up to 37.5% of systems (by year 15) would renegotiate to lower rates, 100% inverter failure by year 12, 1.3% annual module degradation. In this scenario payback occurs in years 15 & 16 vs. 13 & 14 in the base case
4. Cash flows above and beyond repayment & expense schedule flow back to SolarCity. This includes payments during the term of the agreement and then once the notes are paid.

Other articles worth reading
Economics of Solar Panels Dim for Some SolarCity Borrowers
Solar securitisations and tax equity structures in the US | News+ | IJGlobal
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy16osti/64347.pdf

The other SCTY ABS reports are available at Standards & Poors.

If SCTY can keep production up (at the customer site) and maintenance costs down the overcapitalization of systems keeps default risks down. Once the loan is paid SCTY will keep cash flows.

As far as ABS goes, yes this (solar) is a new class vs. more traditional issuance (credit card debt, auto loans, auto leases) but the big benefit to SCTY is that they keep all the cash flows after repayment.

In terms of TSLA, I don't see how anyone can reasonably argue that an acquisition would put TSLA at substantial risk (i.e., Billions of dollars of capital needed) due to these ABS deals. Lifetime performance of solar panels is generally well know at this point, and a 15year useful life is not a big assumption. Plus TSLA will be able to look at actual performance of systems over the last 3-5 years & compare vs. assumptions in the ABS financial projections.

However I am beginning to think that residential batteries mostly make sense under PPA agreements, like the ones SCTY has. The structure really opens the market up to people who don't want to or can't pay for the batteries upfront.

Actually, solar radiation is a spectrum of wavelengths. Primarily visible light and infrared.

If you look at high-end three or four junction cells, which utilize almost the entire spectrum of solar radiation, they have an efficiency at best close to 40% unconcentrated. If we could make these cells at the current cost of polycrystalline silicon cells, the break even would be maybe 15 years in Norway, but it still wouldn't be an extremely obvious choice to install solar.
Why not convert other wavelengths then visible light into electricity? Day or night?

• Disagree
Reactions: GregRF
European trading shows Tesla at $199.xx. Get ready for a retake of $200. And oh look, another X on the road.

L.A. resident checking in here. Spotting a wild Model X around my parts went from super rare to totally commonplace VERY QUICKLY. I'm now spotting 90Ds and 75Ds in all sorts of colors on both legs of my commute. It was only a month ago that an X sighting was a true novelty, and all the ones I saw in May were P90DLs.

Futures are up. FTSE is up 2%. TSLA held up like a champ during the madness set off by our friends across the pond. There's a few days of noise left. Then it will be time to celebrate our independence from Britain and from British matters.

I'll be flying across the country for the holiday. I intend to share beer and barbecue with my loved ones and to celebrate living in a country where an automative upstart building cars of the 21st century is transforming the world.

Q2 delivery numbers should be out when I get back. I recommend everybody here follow the Model X delivery forums. Model X's are being delivered at a very steady clip and with no major issues. I am currently bullish on Model X. I am bullish on Q2 delivery numbers. I am bullish on Tesla Motors. I am bullish on Elon Musk. I am bullish on America!

Last edited:
Notice of Sale End Date

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the purchase of TSLA common stock. The past week's sub-$200 sales event is scheduled to terminate on Tuesday, June 28, 2016. A small quantity of shares will be available in the morning at sale prices, but this is strictly a merchandise on hand only event and the supply of sale-priced products will not be replenished for this event. We hope you have enjoyed this rare opportunity.
The Management

Last edited:
I ask for your indulgence in bearing with me as I am compelled to make a few corrections:

Notice of Sale End Date

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the purchase of TSLA common stock. The past week's sub-$200 sales event is scheduled to terminate in pre-market trading on Tuesday, June 28, 2016. No quantity of shares will be available after market open at sale prices, it was strictly a merchandise on hand only event and the supply of sale-priced products will not be replenished for this event. We hope you have enjoyed this rare opportunity.
The Management

And now back to our scheduled program: closing the GAP.

Q2 delivery numbers should be out when I get back. I recommend everybody here follow the Model X delivery forums. Model X's are being delivered at a very steady clip and with no major issues. I am currently bullish on Model X. I am bullish on Q2 delivery numbers. I am bullish on Tesla Motors. I am bullish on Elon Musk. I am bullish on America!

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel! :)

Why not convert other wavelengths then visible light into electricity? Day or night?

Luckily the sun doesn't output that much in the wave length of gamma radiation and those gamma rays that do travel from the sun toward Earth are diverted away from the surface by our magnetic field. This is good because these high intensity electromagnetic waves are ionizing, which means they cause cellular damage and DNA damage that, among other deleterious effect, cause cancer in humans. Wavelengths below visible light ("infrared") do hit the Earth in abundance, and are percieved as heat from the sun. These wavelengths do contain all-in-all quite a lot of energy but per square meter or square foot less than the visible light spectrum. So having photovoltaic panels that were able to convert a lot of the longer wave lengths to electricity wouldn't create a whole lot of electricity, per surface area. Remember that the shorter the wave length the more energy.

One more thing: Day and night on earth is caused by the phenomenon which is that Earth rotates around its own axis. Due to this, at any given time, one side of the sphere will face the Sun while the other side faces away from the Sun. The side facing away experiences "night" and the side facing the sun experiences "day". During "the night" not a lot of solar radiation, of any wavelength, is available to harvest.

:)

Argus downgraded TSLA from Buy to Hold (no price target) due to "ill-timed" SolarCity acquisition offer.

The downgrade might be ill-timed, as TSLA is poised to go higher...
:)
The markets have officially caught on to these "Clowngrades." Hold on, we are preparing for takeoff. This *sugar* before every major breakout or technical level is lame. 10 points today alone.

Yeah, but if one of the two is Elon, then I'm voting for it.[/QUOTE

Trust but verify, and how do you verify this mumbo jumbo
Deal based on future synergies and recurring refinancing
Of loans.....
Yeah, but if one of the two is Elon, then I'm voting for it.

Which brings to mind, "if you can't explain it simply, you don't understand
it well enough" Einstein

The markets have officially caught on to these "Clowngrades." Hold on, we are preparing for takeoff. This *sugar* before every major breakout or technical level is lame. 10 points today alone.

The scty purchase is ill-timed from the standpoint of TSLA. It is likely necessary from the standpoint of Musk. TSLA at 200 has plenty of upside in the price already. Rating it a hold while the many issue are worked out is entirely reasonable.

How anyone can be highly confident in a particular TSLA valuation today is beyond me. It's all guesswork and hope.

Considering the events of the past week, it seems to me that the price is holding well.

Likely this is just them being, well, slow to the punch. They had upgraded from hold to buy on March 21st with a PT of $333 when TSLA was trading at ~$232.

• Informative
Reactions: CALGARYARSENAL
Status
Not open for further replies.