Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Musk’s Response

Tesla Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk said Mobileye’s agreements with other automakers prevent it from keeping up with Tesla’s pace of development.

“Mobileye’s ability to evolve its technology is unfortunately negatively affected by having to support hundreds of models from legacy auto companies,” the CEO said in an e-mailed statement. “This was expected and will not have any material effect on our plans.”

Mobileye Falls After Saying It Won’t Extend Work With Tesla

As expected, the battle for 230 this afternoon is ferocious. In this corner, wearing black, is the short team which engineered a plunge of $0.75 as TSLA approached the $230 mark 20 minutes ago. And in this corner, wearing the white trunks, is the TSLA team, with longs trying to get in a purchase before the results of the gigafactory media day begins. The battle is ferocious, folks, with lots at stake for the winner.

Now showing $0.10 from $230, ... oops it's now $0.14 now.
It's tag team because you've got SCTY shorts and SCTY longs in the mix too!

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: MikeC and madodel
"A very high engineering drag coefficient," that basically sums up the whole auto industry, save Tesla.

He sure has a way with words sometimes. It's elegantly stated.

They pointed it out themselves several times in the past; they don't take stuff in-house for the sake of taking it in-house or because they have some kind of fundamental belief in vertical integration being superior - rather it's all pragmatism: if you can't keep up with Tesla's pace you can't be a supplier, and if there are no other suppliers out there with a good product then they have to do it themselves. And there is some truth to the old saying; If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Last edited:
The hold back is 20% to 50%, as posted here. As for my napkin math the goal was to get conservative results, so I took only 5 largest institutional shareholders , which all have brokerages, so are capable to lend their shares directly, and assumed that they've lent/going to recall only 50% of their shares.

To re-iterate what I've mentioned before, although as a group institutional shareholders own majority of TSLA shares, the five I took are not. All are large investment companies with limited appetite for unmitigated risk. I just don't see them not recalling their shares and risking others deciding the fate of the company they are so heavily invested in ($44.5B) on behalf of their investors. This just does not look as a plausible scenario to me, and professionals having decades of experience in shorting seem to have the same opinion.

That is what I'm questioning, how conservative is your conservative :) For a really small napkin math let's say 92M shares held by institutions, if collectively they are cool with voting with 2/3rds of their holdings there would be no recalls necessary. The reality is probably such that some of them will keep lending 80% and some will recall 80% but your napkin math doesn't look convincing to me to indicate a large recall activity still left to go. Again I'm not saying it won't happen, just that there's not enough data to tell with high confidence.

Edit: forgot to mention that if all the big guys know they'll vote for the merger, it would not be necessary for them to miss out on the profits from landing some of their shares. I'm sure they've done the math already on how many shares do they need to make sure the vote goes their way, and it's highly unlikely it's 100%. 2/3rds sounds about right to me, actually.

Last edited:

Some key parts:

The first battery module assembly line is ready. The robots, like the ones in the model (video below), are taking battery cells and placing them autonomously in modules for battery packs.

There are parts of the factory with a third story. The first battery cell assembly line is currently up there, but it is still not in operation. Tesla is still saying “later this year”.

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
Some key parts:

– 4:55 PM ET: The first battery module assembly line is ready. The robots, like the ones in the model (video below), are taking battery cells and placing them autonomously in modules for battery packs.
That's obviously massively more efficient than packing the cells in Japan, and shipping them to Nevada!

Anyone surprised at the spaciousness of the factory given Elon's recent comments about space utilization in factories?

Didn't notice anyone mention this yet, but AAPL up 6% after hours on an EPS beat, which is a pretty big move as they often don't move a lot on earnings.
Does it mean even bigger move ups ahead for Tesla?

Today's after hour move of AAPL is higher than entire market cap of TSLA. There is an enormous amount of liquid cash sitting around. Given this highly charged liquid rocket fuel environment, when the right catalyst materializes, TSLA can move 50% up in a single session.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Status
Not open for further replies.