Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you all think is the liklihood of AP 2.0 coming out in Q4?

WAG: TM will announce that the X and S will produced in Q4 will have hardware for AP 2.0 to stimulate demand AND the long awaited
second row folding seat option in the X.

Both are my WAGs..I have no knowledge they will materialize but if TM sees demand waning I bet you see one or both of these things.

The last few quarters delivery numbers have always come out within 3 calender days, not 3 business days. We should have numbers Sunday or Monday at the latest. I bought calls expecting a nice pop in the SP, but I have to say that I'm less optimistic now. It seems like Wallstreet is expecting the numbers but doesn't expect them to have impact because they were achieved using sale prices that can't be maintained, and they think (incorrectly) that demand will drop next quarter without lower prices. I think Wallstreet is also expecting poor gross margins because of 60kW model and the price drops. I have no doubt that TSLA is a good long term bet over the next 1-5 years, but I'm losing faith that we will see higher than 240 this year. I hope I'm wrong.

Your sentiment is pretty similar to mine. That is why I actually stayed out of call options for the time being (went in with stocks instead) because it appears that the TSLA shares may not pop as high due to recent news about overly discounted sales. If there was no material news about discounted Tesla cars, then there's potential to be a stellar jump in next week's market action. But I'm itching to buy a lottery ticket with a small hope that there would be some gain. But that'll have to wait until Monday morning if there's a chance.

For those that follow analysis price targets, what percentage of tsla price targets currently have TE factored in? If Tesla can show TE is starting to ramp and do major deals, doesn't this mean that even skeptical analysis' will need to start factoring it into price targets?

Reactions: larmor
I've been thinking about this. Of course, back then we had Elon's profitability tweet but there was a sense after that that a good quarter was then already priced in. So the Q1 2013 ER was not the no-brainer that it appears to be in retrospect because the stock had already gone from the 30s to the 50s, which seemed like a big jump at the time. You can still go back to the 2013 short-term thread and relive the excitement for yourself if you have the time.

I'm actually more bullish on this quarter than I've ever been, including 2013 Q1. This actually scares me, because it seems that when the bulls are the most confident is when things don't turn out as planned. It just almost seems too easy this quarter. We'll find out soon enough. Good luck, longs.

I am less bullish than in Q1 2013. Maybe too many missed guidance since then has made me a bit jaded:eek: but even though TM had challenges ahead of it then it did not have ANY competition on the horizon OR the unsettling thought of a merger with another struggling company on the horizon.

But I certainly hope you are right and I am wrong (too cautious)

Reactions: Lump and sunhelm
To veteran TSLA investors that personally experienced the 2013 "short squeeze" aka Tsunami of Hurt part 1(TOH1), were there pre-indications then of a stellar, profitable quarter prior to announcement? What was the mood like then and how does it compare to right now (if it can even be compared)? For me, the evidence seems to point to a stellar delivery announcement next week but somehow, the SP action seems muted in anticipation.

Good question. Though I was here at the time, I had to dig up the data from yahoo finance anyway. Looks like the share price didn´t indicate any major change either, until it jumped more than 10% on April 1:

Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 23.16.14.png

To veteran TSLA investors that personally experienced the 2013 "short squeeze" aka Tsunami of Hurt part 1(TOH1), were there pre-indications then of a stellar, profitable quarter prior to announcement? What was the mood like then and how does it compare to right now (if it can even be compared)? For me, the evidence seems to point to a stellar delivery announcement next week but somehow, the SP action seems muted in anticipation.

Good question. Though I was here at the time, I had to dig up the data from yahoo finance anyway. Looks like the share price didn´t indicate any major change either, until it jumped more than 10% on April 1:

View attachment 196960

Correct me if some announcement was expected, but at that point in time in 2013 Tesla did not announce quarterly deliveries immediately after quarter close. Therefore, the tweet about profitability would have carried greater surprise than the instance we are facing here.

I am less bullish than in Q1 2013. Maybe too many missed guidance since then has made me a bit jaded:eek: but even though TM had challenges ahead of it then it did not have ANY competition on the horizon OR the unsettling thought of a merger with another struggling company on the horizon.

But I certainly hope you are right and I am wrong (too cautious)
I think many investors and analysts have become a bit jaded. That's why I think the SP will rocket up once we finally get some good figures.

Reactions: CALGARYARSENAL
What's the longest time that has passed? 4 calendar days? So, tuesday at the latest.

Yes, 4 calendar days. Every other time it has been within 3 calendar days. But not every quarter begins with calendar days that are non-business days. The fact that it once occurred on the 4th calendar day/2nd business day means that Tesla either meant they will announce within 3 business days or they were late with the announcement. I assume the former, which means the latest we'll get an announcement in any given quarter is the 3rd business day. Wednesday, 10/5 in this case.

Correct me if some announcement was expected, but at that point in time in 2013 Tesla did not announce quarterly deliveries immediately after quarter close. Therefore, the tweet about profitability would have carried greater surprise than the instance we are facing here.

You´re right, the tweet came as a surprise while now we know there will be a delivery update and only wonder if it will be after 3 calendar or working days :). The contents might still carry a surprise though. But, as this post by CapOp on Feb 20, 2013 illustrates, the good results were not expected at all back then while they are now, so to some degree good deliveries are priced in.

-The current is a wholly different contextual than 2013. I can express a series of short markers
-Tesla was widely considered to be headed for bankruptcy by massive shorting (more than twice today and against a much smaller long base- Instutuationally and otherwise).
-The entire market (by any measure) was still in a high growth recovery state from the recession. That is no longer the case
-The short squeeze was effectively engineered against large capital gain equity offerings that Elon and other supported to help maintain he value post squeeze.(that's partially why we've also stayed flat after $200 waiting for he next major proven catalyst)
-Yes we had many on this forum who by-the-numbers had the basic squeeze time pegged based on ER etc.
But hey we're largely unexpected - Note it was a bit easier because the short activity was an order of magnitude more revealing. Even then it was months in the making
-Tesla is now in an early maturing stage and the market is at high PEs- We are definitely entering a very strong inducement for TSLA strength and short covering (more of a bear hug than a squeeze IMO)

Many of us have been strong-long TSLA from $25+
Many of those who made their mark in the 2013 squeeze are long gone

My advice is to avoid making those parallels- they won't happen again in the same way and will likely be much more fraught with fluctuation. That said imo this is a good time to be in stock long (much upward momentum over the next year)- perhaps some LEAPs. Anything else should be in discretionary funds of high risk imo. This is currently an excellent stock buying op imo.

Although I believe TSLA will move up firmly soon, I would caution that playing a 2013 squeeze correlation could be fraught with frustration. Tesla is in a massively new phase now.

my 2 pennies

This is the direct quote from earlier Tesla press release on publishing delivery numbers.

Going forward, Tesla will publish the number of new car deliveries within three days of quarter end. We have decided to take this approach, because inaccurate sources of information are sometimes used by others to project the number of vehicle deliveries.

Maybe they will want to release early on Monday to beat the likes of InsideEV who will report estimates on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.