Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps, to satisfy a few apparently hung up on semantics, once certified for Level 5 you can make an appointment at your nearest Service Center to have the steering wheel and brake pedal removed. Let's assume that and move on from whether or not the car can be level 5 or not based on whether it has a brake pedal and steering wheel.
I don't think I'm hung up on semantics about thing-by-wire. What it means, and has meant for many decades since at least the F-16 fighter jet was released, is simply that the controls generate signals (and sometimes there is feedback) to cause something else steering or braking to happen. It has nothing to do with autonomy or the presence or absence of a control like the brake pedal or steering wheel.

Nice that CS data shows model s with improved reliability. It seems like it is normal for brand new luxury car like the MX built on a entirely new platform to take a few quarters to get to higher reliability.

If your new platform has "water leaks, and infotainment and climate-control system problems", maybe you should be having the CEO on the floor fixing things and/or preventing the car from going out.

The doors are a "platform" issue, infotainment issues, not so much.

• Disagree
Reactions: esk8mw
In three years my oldest kid will get her drive's license. I am nervous to my stomach. I guess am not the only one.

My 8 year old daughter maintains that she never wants to learn to drive. Listening to me, she figures she won't have to.

I haven't seen this posted. Hit piece from Zack's showed up in my account's news feed this morning. Cliff's notes: expect a loss of 0.64 per share.

Will Tesla (TSLA) Continue to Disappoint in Q3 Earnings?

Lowering expectations is a GOOD thing. A hit piece would some smart alec calling for some $2.00 EPS to try to position actuals as a disappointment.

Today Bloomberg indicates, at least in a superficial view, that today's activity is all about M&A. I think that is overblown just because of the AT&T merger with Time Warner. The synergy of that merge escaped me until an interview with the M&A manager of J.P. Morgan (forgot her name) who clarified AT&T has the consumer data so can leverage with it access to content. Duh! (Yes I am a blockhead until things are simply explained.)

Elsewhere in discussion of regulatory approval, Bloomberg analysts say vertical integration seems to be the mantra today.

If you've followed the overlong presentation by Ng at the Nvidia site, the key to AI is very high processing power combined with very large data bases. That is key to Tesla's edge in AP.

I know its a contrarian view for many here but that may also be why vertical integration through the SCTY acquisition is just another example of Musk leading at least today's market focus on M&A. The synergy of capturing two markets, or three, in one store has already been discussed fully on this thread.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Lowering expectations is a GOOD thing. A hit piece would some smart alec calling for some $2.00 EPS to try to position actuals as a disappointment.

Indeed. I saw a news item in my Fidelity feed this morning saying Tesla was expected to have a smaller GAAP loss than usual, and a non-GAAP break-even.

If the climate on this forum is anything to go by (which is a pretty accurate guess after our little competition to guess vehicle deliveries), Tesla will see a definite non-GAAP profit and perhaps even a small GAAP profit.

One reason why tesla (tsla) stock is gaining today
One Reason Why Tesla (TSLA) Stock Is Gaining Today
Tesla's (TSLA) Model S is now one of Consumer Reports's recommended vehicles.

Rachel Graf
Oct 24, 2016 1:35 PM EDT
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Tesla Motors (TSLA) were climbing in early-afternoon trading on Monday as the electric vehicles manufacturer's Model S is now one of Consumer Reports's recommended models.

The model has improved to an average reliability rating.

But overall, Consumer Reports ranked Tesla 25th out of 29 auto brands covered in its auto reliability survey.

"The Model X launched with abundant problems, including frequent malfunctions of the falcon-wing doors, water leaks, and infotainment and climate-control system problems," Consumer Reports said in a statement.

Just my view. If you want to buy calls, I suggest not buying October 28th November 4th, or November 11th calls, even though it's possible they will go up a lot. There are many longer dated calls that have very little time premium priced in.

In other words, those calls might be a great bargain, but there are other ways to get the same or more exposure, that in my view are less expensive.

I have one question for anyone buying October 28th, November 4th, or November 11th calls today. Why didn't you buy them last week?

• Disagree
Reactions: tander and dha
Just my view. If you want to buy calls, I suggest not buying October 28th November 4th, or November 11th calls, even though it's possible they will go up a lot. There are many longer dated calls that have very little time premium priced in.

In other words, those calls might be a great bargain, but there are other ways to get the same or more exposure, that in my view are less expensive.

I have one question for anyone buying October 28th, November 4th, or November 11th calls today. Why didn't you buy them last week?
Theta, in my case.

Theta, in my case.

I suspect a few people on here are buying arbitrary calls expecting them to go up 'a lot' if the stock jumps a lot after earnings.

I'm not going to speculate about who is doing this, or say if I think the stock will go up a lot after earnings. However, I hope this post acts as a reminder to people to look at the long term picture, and all available options before initiating any options strategy.

Options can be used to hedge, increase exposure, or as a way of obtaining a weekly or monthly payment of sorts if you think the stock will be somewhat range bound for a particular period of time, and for other things.

Expecting calls to go up a lot is not a strategy. I hope no-one on here is buying too many 'lottery tickets'.

I suspect a few people on here are buying arbitrary calls expecting them to go up 'a lot' if the stock jumps a lot after earnings.

I'm not going to speculate about who is doing this, or say if I think the stock will go up a lot after earnings. However, I hope this post acts as a reminder to people to look at the long term picture, and all available options before initiating any options strategy.

Options can be used to hedge, increase exposure, or as a way of obtaining a weekly or monthly payment of sorts if you think the stock will be somewhat range bound for a particular period of time, and for other things.

Expecting calls to go up a lot is not a strategy. I hope no-one on here is buying too many 'lottery tickets'.
what do you mean... holding the stock is a lottery ticket!!! --- oh no... troll alert!... just a little closing hour humor.

• Disagree
Reactions: esk8mw

I agree with your words of caution about options.

But, I have highlighted two portions in particular: I agree that this is a catch all thread but it is suppose to be a 'short term' thread and discussion of how one positions themselves in the short term for an ER seems to be fair game.

You are correct that this is a stock ripe for long term investors who have a long term perspective about TM. A true long term investor has little concern for one ER.

'Expecting call to go up' is a strategy. It is a trader's strategy. It is not a long term investor strategy I grant you.

'Lottery Tickets': Whether they be puts or calls they can be an investment strategy to mitigate risk of a longer term position.

Again, I agree that options are not for everyone and I have been on the right and wrong side of these trades.

• Love
Reactions: MitchJi and DaveT

I did buy some longer dated ones (Jan 2017 220s) last week. I also had a little spare cash kicking around from a small position I cashed out of in the tail end of last week and wanted a bit more exposure for the ER, hence today's grab of Nov11 225s, where the idea was low cost in case it doesn't pan out (and because there was only a few hundred dollars available to make the trade), but big reward if the ER goes as gangbusters as I expect, while still having some time buffer in case I'm wrong (got burned several times in recent memory on buy the rumor, sell the news type events with too-close expiries). I chose the Nov 11 expiry for this position because going to a longer dated expiry meant I'd have to step up further on the strike scale than I was comfortable with to stay within the budget for this position, and the shorter expiries weren't enough cheaper to make it worthwhile for me.

When lots of people buy short term calls, they are likely to be disappointed because their purchase reinforce "buy the rumor sell the fact" effect.

In my view, if I lose one dollar in these lottery tickets, I actually lose $20. I could just keep the dollar in the shares and watch them grow for the next 10 years.

"Expecting calls to go up a lot is not a strategy." - I agree. This is gambling. If I am the only one who is making this bet, I have a decent chance to win. If lots of people are making the same bet, my experience tells me the outcome is usually not so good.

I am not predicting Tesla's stock move for short term. I can't.

In my view, if I lose one dollar in these lottery tickets, I actually lose $20. I could just keep the dollar in the shares and watch them grow for the next 10 years.

So you believe that the stock is going up by a factor of 20x in the next 10 years? Implies a 600B market cap. Possible, and within Elon's estimate of 1T, but I'm not sure it'll happen that quickly. Also, assuming a linear climb, that would imply a factor of 2x in one year or about 17% per month.

Most of the money in options I hold are in deep ITM LEAPS, as a surrogate for shares but with less cash tied up in them, at the expense of a slightly higher risk in terms of trying to get out of the way if the stock craters.

Status
Not open for further replies.