Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, having all the capital they need for the next 12-18 months decreases risk.

And FWD, Monopost Middle Row Seats, and 5 Star safety in all categories Rock.

And they didn't spend all of "a lot of money" on above.

At the same time they spent money on the rest of Model X development, Model 3 development, Gigafactory, New 500k unit Paint Shop, New Facilities around Fremont, expand Supercharger,Service Center, and Store/Gallery footprint.

I don't think you can dismiss the likelihood that the model X took a year of development time that has slowed projects. LED headlights in 2016 on an $100000 electric car is a strong indicator of lagging development.

Hopefully the model 3 development team was spared from working on "the world's best second row seats" in the model X.

Cadillac has ended production of its electric car after just 2 years

So much for the bear case that Tesla is a goner once other big auto companies start putting effort into EVs. Not as easy as you thought I guess.. wonder how many of these "Tesla killers" will be discontinued before making a significant impact.
This was always a stupid project anyway. Always reminded me of when GM/Cadillac took the Chevy Cavalier and put nicer appointments to the exact same care and called it the Cadillac Cimmaron. This time they took the Volt and fancied it up and called it a Cadillac.

No, having all the capital they need for the next 12-18 months decreases risk.
Do we know that they have all of the capital they need for the next 18 months?

I don't think that the market knows that, or if they do they don't believe it. I believe if the market believed that it would be a substantial boost to the SP.

Rising capital removed uncertainty and Model 3 accelerated ramp-up gave clarity to Tesla operations. Until we get something tangible for that money the risk remains.
The belief in the risk might remain. That's something that we can make money on.

Reactions: WarpedOne
I really doubt there is a smoothing capacitor between the battery pack and the drive inverter. That would be a HUGE cap, and I don't even think there is a technology for that kind of supercap that is not actually a chemical battery with modified characteristics. If there was such a parallel plate capacitor that could hold enough charge for even a modest start, that would probably be better energy storage than the Panasonic cells.

He didn't mean an additional smoothing cap - he was talking about using the battery as a smoothing cap - that's been done in ICE vehicles (and many other applications) for decades.

I really doubt there is a smoothing capacitor between the battery pack and the drive inverter. That would be a HUGE cap, and I don't even think there is a technology for that kind of supercap that is not actually a chemical battery with modified characteristics.

Agree. Also I'm fairly certain the extra range is from the new front end and has nothing to do with changes in the battery.

Agree. Also I'm fairly certain the extra range is from the new front end and has nothing to do with changes in the battery.
Considering Aero doesn't have meaningful impact <40mph, and the avg speed of a typical driver is <38mph, I don't know that just the improved Aero on the nose is enough for that much improvement. Do we know how much CD has improved as a result of the new nose? And didn't Tesla say all refreshed cars have "new" cell batteries? And if the "new" cell batteries did not have improved chemistry, what was the purpose of developing "new" vs, "old" cells?

Reactions: Lessmog
Report: Apple interested in charging station tech for powering rumored electric vehicle

So, question for the resident Technical gurus here... Based on Apple's interest in charging infrastructure. No matter how they decide to move forward, this is a good thing for Tesla, right? Specifically, more charging stations = more acceptance of EVs? But what if Apple decides to setup their own charging infrastructure like Tesla did. Will Tesla still benefit? I'm having a bit of a fog, visualizing the millions of Model 3s being charged only at Tesla supercharge stations. It'd be great if Tesla can be charged at ANY charging stations, even if they had to pay per use. That way, Tesla won't have to aggressively scale up charging stations to accommodate the number of cars it will be selling, and take advantage of Apple's investment in that space...

Tesla will just make their cars work with any widespread high voltage public DC charging network. The Germans will need one. As it will be built with public money it won't be private.

I expect in 10-15 years, all charging networks will be fee based. Tesla will have the option of making superchargers into a fee based system that other brands use.

That was an interesting read, thank you for linking it.

I hope that everybody in the "cash burn!" crowd reads this note from MS. They will learn that from 2013 to 2015 Apple had incremental $4.7B R&D bill, while Tesla during the same period spent about one tenth of that - $.44B on R&D. Comparing the output of this "cash burn" for Apple and Tesla goes long way for understanding what it is exactly Elon and Deepak meant when they emphasized that Tesla actually is very efficient in using capital. No kidding, indeed...

Report: Apple interested in charging station tech for powering rumored electric vehicle

So, question for the resident Technical gurus here... Based on Apple's interest in charging infrastructure. No matter how they decide to move forward, this is a good thing for Tesla, right? Specifically, more charging stations = more acceptance of EVs? But what if Apple decides to setup their own charging infrastructure like Tesla did. Will Tesla still benefit? I'm having a bit of a fog, visualizing the millions of Model 3s being charged only at Tesla supercharge stations. It'd be great if Tesla can be charged at ANY charging stations, even if they had to pay per use. That way, Tesla won't have to aggressively scale up charging stations to accommodate the number of cars it will be selling, and take advantage of Apple's investment in that space...

Greater acceptance of EVs is good for TSLA as there is still a fair amount of consumer education needed in the market. Given Apples usual business approach its unlikely that they will allow Tesla vehicles to charge on their infrastructure. With that said, there are thousands of for pay chargers nationwide and that network is constantly expanding.

Some info on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/7321694

And their WHOIS (I love that their admin contact is in "Trollhattan".)

View attachment 177834

The referenced post is about Devonshire Research which you fingered. It is not about EV Volumes. You have been warned. Please note, I'm spending a lot of time trying to monitor recent events, but the biggest mistake is slovenly misconnection of a post and will henceforth be subject to consequences.

Reactions: steve3
Tesla will just make their cars work with any widespread high voltage public DC charging network. The Germans will need one. As it will be built with public money it won't be private.

I expect in 10-15 years, all charging networks will be fee based. Tesla will have the option of making superchargers into a fee based system that other brands use.

That is my assumption as well, as Tesla is not limited by the Max charging input. So technically, I don't see an issue. But my worst case scenario is, what if Apple sets up their charging infrastructure specific to them(private), and does not allow for "pay to use" by Tesla or other EVs? Is that even a possibility to entertain? And if so, what are the consequences of that decision by Apple on Tesla's current advantage of "best charging network"?

Status
Not open for further replies.