Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know/has it been confirmed if we can reserve a car in someone else's name? I'm about 1 hour out from Rocklin with my wife, we are reserving 2. I have a friend that plans to come but is having difficulty with work/child care issues. I would like to reserve one for him if he can't make it?
I called my local store and they said I could reserve one for myself and one for someone else.

Update on the Austin store, reportedly there were 400 people in line prior to the store opening (it's open now).

TSLA is doing pretty well! There's a lot of coverage of the lines, as was anticipated on this forum. The stock is doing the opposite of what I expected.

Now for the longer-term comment - after a while Elon said "it's about time we stopped showing all our cards" and now we see more secrecy then openness. It's certainly not like it was in 2012. To those discussing the reveal of reservation numbers, there are two sides to consider. A) the side where Tesla needs to "shock and awe" the other manufacturers into switching to electric car production. You would do this because the time to slow carbon emissions down to zero isn't next week, it's now!!! In this case, revealing reservation numbers would be appropriate. B) the side where Tesla needs to maintain a leadership position and carrot-and-stick the other manufacturers into following. Not revealing everything would be the better case here.

"B" is better because if Tesla is completely open about everything that it is doing, there is a risk (admittedly small, at this point) of them being overtaken by other manufacturers, and/or acquired due to low stock price, and/or closing down altogether after running out of money. If this were to happen, the impetus that Tesla is currently providing to the industry would vapourize, and the industry move to electric would slow down to the same speed of innovation that we currently have with the current business model of manufacturers+dealerships.

So, Tesla does not reveal everything as soon as possible, because Tesla leads to lead the industry, and in order to do that, Tesla needs to survive in the form it has today.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
This morning's run up to 232: "buy on the rumor, sell on the news", or is something else going on? Photos of reservation lines are definitely hitting the press.

"Buy on the rumour" is out the window now... the investment community is seeing solid evidence of consumer interested in the car - and it's all around the world, not just "on home turf."

Consumer interest is a legitimate factor - not just the reveal event - since we (and the investment community) knows that not everything will be revealed tonight.

We have definitely begun crossing into the "sell on the news" period, and +2.78% TSLA is doing pretty darn well considering there's only 5hrs trading left before the event. I think the lines outside stores is playing a significant part.

Ugh. Got my first Trailing Stop order inputted! Yay! But, it didn't trigger when it fell a bunch there --- not that I ended up wanting it to, but I felt that it "should have" (and I would have been comfortable either way), but now I'm paranoid I don't know how to verify what the current Trailing Stop trigger level happens to be at (platform OptionsHouse); anybody know? I guess I have to call customer service ...

Got in way high, at 231.95, but saw instant trends so was comfortable if I had quick ability to take a small loss. Really wanted to get my first trailing stop entered. Now at a trail stop of 0.90 with stock at 233.85, and waiting until it crests 234.1 to raise my trail stop to 1.10.

That triggered it. It works. Only made ~$1K. Next time I'll have enough confidence to use the Trail Stop Limit and set a limit offset. I have to apologize to everyone for my market sell order there that caused a run-down in the price as all the fish jumped on the bid spreads for a large sell amount. So am I the "efficient sucker" who makes the "marketplace work efficiently"?

Last edited:
Just reserved 2 at the Boca Raton Mall. There were probably 150 in front of me. In Dania Beach there were 100 lined up an hour before it opened.

Regarding Reservation numbers, it would be silly (and difficult) for Tesla to try to hide the numbers. We will most likely get an Res #, and even if they tried to hide the numbers, we will see them in the quarterly reports. So by early August we could figure it out anyway.

Since it hasn't been posted yet, Elon tweeted:

Incredibly inspired by the interest in Model 3. You won't be disappointed. Also, small token of appreciation coming for those who lined up.

So the demand is beyond Musk's expectations, whatever his expectation was. Coming this from Mr.Optimist bodes quite well for the long term future of the company, and thus the stock.

Reactions: StephenM and EinSV
Just got home from reserving in Brooklyn. I got there an hour after it opened and there was still a line of about 20 people. Pretty encouraging considering its a brand new store, its the middle of a work day and no one has seen the car.

Now, where is my confirmation email? :cool:

Note that these crowds around stores is just the proactive high-information reservation crowds that have studied Tesla's reservation priority system, trust Tesla to make a great product and have figured out that this is a good idea. Many if not most are taking a day off work some are actually getting on planes to a location where they can stand in line. This is not normal.

Humans are generally speaking reactive to getting their card out for $1000 whether online or in store after seeing a product they want (and not before) and most working people are much more inclined and able to go to the mall on weekends. Speaking of which, lines tend to beget lines - meaning this could easily start over again tomorrow and carry on all weekend and I would imagine that a passer-by after asking a dozen people standing there why they are standing in line, not just a few in a crowded mall would join the line themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.