Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
reservation numbers of this magnitude is pure tornado phase dynamics, its too early to sell even for a trade,
cause you run the risk of missing much more upside.
(just my view)
Yes, but too many reservations without the (current) ability to deliver will keep it from a massive hike... Once we know how Elon/TM plan on handling said reservations, the stock should trend to its true price.

If by chance Tesla announces a beat or miss before close, the bots will be buying or selling shares and calls faster than we can get the news here on TMC. Caution advised with open orders.

This is a good point. I thought of this, but decided with only a little over an hour to go, it was a risk I was willing to take. I don't think they'll announce numbers prior to market close, but one can never know.

I don't think this means much without context, because of Tesla's batching and production system. They may allocate lots of production to one region of the world at certain times (like to fill a bunch of orders to be shipped to Asia or Hong Kong), and ship nothing there in the next few months.

Hence my skepticism in my post. As stated in the article, it can also be due to a focus on MX deliveries.

Some quick stats on consensus analyst expectations

Revenue (Non-GAAP, lease accounting reverted): $1.65B

I take that as an expectation of 16,500 deliveries

EPS non-GAAP: -0.506

EPS GAAP: -0.847

Vast majority did NOT update their projections since Feb 10/11.

I think it's quite difficult to deliver a beat. But stock price action is a whole another story.

Q4 ER was also a miss. BUT the ER literally marked the bottom. SO...

My expectation is that there will be a miss but stock will continue to zoom up.

wow....likely will hit 13million volume today. The interest in TSLA is palpable!

edit: I guess this is really not that extraordinary based on past high volume days. Just checked out some of the historical volatile days and this really is not that big.

111 million on 11/4/13 looks like the record

I think it's quite difficult to deliver a beat. But stock price action is a whole another story.

Q4 ER was also a miss. BUT the ER literally marked the bottom. SO...

My expectation is that there will be a miss but stock will continue to zoom up.

I am also thinking along the same lines. So other than this, I can't think of a compelling reason why it would go down in the next couple of days. Is anyone else seeing a short term risk I am not seeing?

FWIW I have forever banged on about the big 2016 short squeeze event peaking in Q3 2016 surrounding Q2 ER and solid guidance and delivery of profits and free cash flow.

IMO here in the short term thread all we are really discussing is the risk and reward of taking highly leveraged positions that expire (or for whatever reason) need to be closed out significantly earlier than that.

If you take a run at something like a thesis of a Q1 beat combining with 30M underwater shorts against a background of superb shocks and awe consumer response to Model 3 - all of that making Christmas come early - then who cares if it doesn't play out that way so long as you can take profits on the same position in Q3.

FWIW I have forever banged on about the big 2016 short squeeze event peaking in Q3 2016 surrounding Q2 ER and solid guidance and delivery of profits and free cash flow.

IMO here in the short term thread all we are really discussing is the risk and reward of taking highly leveraged positions that expire (or for whatever reason) need to be closed out significantly earlier than that.

If you take a run at something like a thesis of a Q1 beat combining with 30M underwater shorts against a background of superb shocks and awe consumer response to Model 3 - all of that making Christmas come early - then who cares if it doesn't play out that way so long as you can take profits on the same position in Q3.

Agree, which is why I am mainly holding shares and J17 leaps. I feel good about 2016 but its much harder to guess when in 2016 the good times will come. But, it feels like the good news clusters are now and in Aug. Add in the fact that the market sometimes reacts to good news at unpredictable times and it makes sense to cast a wide net.

Having said that I still take small speculative positions for fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.