Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. It seems to me from reading on this board that the capital raise is potentially the single most important factor in the near term, at least until we get delivery numbers for Q2 in early July.

Obviously, Tesla needs a large amount of money on the order of several billions to fund the Model 3. Here are the possibililties I see:

1. Elon chooses to do a capital raise now. The share price is roughly 207-208 ish which is lower than the 242 SP on the last capital raise. This would represent a "down round" which would dilute shareholder value. As far as I know, Elon has never done this before in any of his companies. Do you see this as a possibility? Why didn't Elon raise before the Q1 CC when the stock price was approaching $270? Do you think he thought that the share price would increase after the revelation of a goal of 500K cars in 2018. Or does he have another plan?

2. Elon chooses to wait till after Q2 delivery numbers which, if good, could elevate stock price. Do you think this is a possibililty or is it too risky given that macro situation could crash and share price could actually drop further.

3. Elon sells a minor stake in the company to a big player (e.g GOOG). Is this a possibility? Elon is of course good friends with Sergei and Larry. Tesla's CFO is from GOOG. A minor investment in Tesla would allow Elon to keep control and allow GOOG to put their money to a good use with potential for high reward. As you know, Larry Page once said he should give all his money to Elon when he dies. A 3 billion investment is a small amount of money for GOOG but would turn this ship around in no time. Most importantly, it would provide TSLA with an extremely powerful ally which, in my opinion, may be necessary to combat large interests such as oil, car dealers, car makers, etc. I believe this would also send a signal to the shorts that Tesla will survive and fluorish and most will cover immediately leading to short squeeze.

Related question: If a large company takes a minor stake in Tesla, does this have to occur at the current share price or could they do it at a higher price (say 250 or 300) and avoid a down round of financing. Obviously, when companies completely buy out other companies, the acquisition price is typically higher than the share price. Does this also apply for minority stakes? Of course, the price will go much higher just on announcement of such a partnership.

I thank you in advance for your insight.

Thank you for a well formulated and well reasoned first post on this forum. Welcome aboard!

As to your view on the alternatives I agree, these are the most probable possible ways of moving forward now that they have commited themselves to a quicker ramp of Model 3 production. I also agree that option #1 is something Elon would want to avoid except it is the only viable option left on the table. Option #2 is, as you say, a risky bet since there are too many unknown variables and the delta between share price today and $242 is significant. For this reason I believe that they may be working very hard as we speak to broker some kind of deal in the spirit of your option #3, i.e. some kind of more traditional sale of a minority stake or some more unorthodox metod of raising capital outside of the typical general credit markets. I, among with others on this board, have argued in favor of GOOGL/Alphabet as a partner that could bring something more to the table besides just money See for example my post #15597 where i wrote:

One other Sunday musing: what if Elon's very confident projections in the recent call that came without any mention of a capital raise (or only very vague insinuations that yes, some additional capital may be required) means that they have already secured the capital needed? My thoughts go to Google: With Elon's recent focus on manufacturing, physical engineering, the "making of large physical objects" perhaps it makes sense to finally partner with another company to provide the software engineering and the cloud services? When Tesla continues to grow there is going to be huge value from the map data collected, the data from all the autonomous miles driven, from a future app eco system, and probably a whole lot of other software related aspects of the business that I'm not mentioning now. At the same time it is hard enough for Tesla to keep up with the manufacturing and physical engineering, including lots of vertical integration, but now they want to do all the software and systems engineering themselves too? Let's face it, the weakest link right now is their software and systems, and while autopilot 1.0 is very nice there will be orders of magnitude more software engineering required to get to full autonomous. I'm not sure it would be right for Tesla to do this in house. Google seems like the perfect partner.

So maybe Elon said to Larry, you can be our software partner, I'll sell you 5% of Tesla for 5 billion and going forward we split the profits from an app eco system and from future licensing of autonomous drive and sale of millimeter precision map data.

And another option that mustn't be disregarded, considering the very positive way in which both Elon and Wheeler talked about their ABL (asset based line of credit) in the last call is that they will want to try to finance their growth through some kind of favorable loan rather than a traditional capital raise. However, I'm not sure what kind of terms they could negotiate for a more traditional loan with the expansion risks attached?

Regarding capital raise, my belief is that they need less than the market is projecting. They already have the stamping and paint shop, not to mention the factory itself. Increased delivery rate means an increase of the ABL availability. $400 million of free loans in 2 weeks doesn't hurt either. Elon mentioned a mixture of loan and stock, so I'm not seeing billions and billions of dilution. Just my 2 cents though.

In addition to my Negativity Scale, I also check on Elon's tweets to determine his level of irritability.
I think my own levels of irritability are getting up there!
I don't day trade (already have day job). I rarely trade more frequently than quarterly unless there's news to act on.
Yet after joining the DTU club and selling a substantial portion of my TSLA at $254 only two weeks ago, today I found myself buying back (at $205.10) about a third of what I had just sold. Very undisciplined for me.
I realized I've been very irritated with the lame post-CC press coverage. I had this mental schedule of TSLA drifting downward to $220 through May. Now here we are.
Trying to save the rest of my powder for some real news or SP south of $190. May have to take up meditation.

I'll repeat this question again since I think most people didn't see it. Has anyone heard anything about the Gigafactory opening party? If you've received an invite can you say if you had to sign a NDA for any info about the event? (Is there such a thing as an NDA for info about the date of an event or any other info provided?)

I think I remember it being mentioned that it would be at the end of May. The shareholder meeting is either on or around May 31st. I don't see a specific date anywhere be Google says its on May 31st or June 8th (estimated).

Based on historic precident, would Elon make this event before or after the shareholder meeting?
I don't recall seeing a date in May. The original estimated time was in April. But then delayed to first half of the year. Never heard of any update since then (I don't have an invitation to get updates from Tesla, just reading stuff on TMC for the April and delayed to first half of 2016 info).

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I don't recall seeing a date in May. The original estimated time was in April. But then delayed to first half of the year. Never heard of any update since then (I don't have an invitation to get updates from Tesla, just reading stuff on TMC for the April and delayed to first half of 2016 info).

A few people on TMC poster pics of the invite. I think they said something about the end of May. I might be mistaken. I will look for he link.

Additionally, regarding additional capital. If Tesla needed $2-4 billion for additional factories in the EU, all of the avenues mentioned on the website below would be possible ways for Tesla to obtain the capital, without needing to issue additions stock, receive additional investment from any parties, or seek other avenues. The EU has set aside hundreds of billions of dollars for companies doing exactly what Tesla is doing.

C-Energy Project

EIB Group - EUROPEAN INVESTMENT BANK GROUP
EIB - EUROPEAN INVESTMENT BANK

The EIB is the European Union's bank. It’s the only bank owned by and representing the interests of the European Union Member States. They work closely with other EU institutions to implement EU policy.
As the largest multilateral borrower and lender by volume, they provide finance and expertise for sound and sustainable investment projects which contribute to furthering EU policy objectives. More than 90% of its activity is focused on Europe but we also support the EU's external and development policies. The EIB provides directly or via financial intermediaries a number of financial products (loans, guarantees, venture capital, equity investments, project bonds) to innovative entrepreneur and project developers. The Bank also provides technical and financial assistance in key areas such as infrastructure financing, climate change mitigation and adaptation, urban development and SME support.

Interesting article about the EIB's investment in Ford.

Governments Help Ford Cut Debt

In June 2014, the U.K. government cleared a $572 million loan guarantee for Ford's $715 million European Investment Bank loan to build vehicles that are more fuel-efficient and pollute less.

In January 2014, the European Investment Bank, the financing arm of the 27-member European Union, said it would provide $527.6 million to help it produce several models in Romania".

It would be hypocritical and crazy for the EU to not loan Tesla the capital needed to build 1-2 factories in Europe, especially since Tesla is exactly the kind of company these loans were intended to support.

Last edited:

I agree. The last official word from Tesla, I believe, is that the party will be held "in the first half of 2016" which could mean June 30th.

I think my own levels of irritability are getting up there!
I don't day trade (already have day job). I rarely trade more frequently than quarterly unless there's news to act on.
Yet after joining the DTU club and selling a substantial portion of my TSLA at $254 only two weeks ago, today I found myself buying back (at $205.10) about a third of what I had just sold. Very undisciplined for me.
I realized I've been very irritated with the lame post-CC press coverage. I had this mental schedule of TSLA drifting downward to $220 through May. Now here we are.
Trying to save the rest of my powder for some real news or SP south of $190. May have to take up meditation.
My 203 and 184 buy orders feel your pain.

• Funny
Reactions: hoang51 and Johan
Someone on this thread early last week (can't find it now) mentioned that there was building activity on the next module of the Gigafactory. This is the only place I've heard anything about this, and expected more follow up discussion. I've been lagging behind the posts, and thought I would run into these discussions but never did.

Does anyone have any additional data that suggests construction on the next module of the Gigafactory has begun?

Reactions: Gerasimental
Regarding capital raise, my belief is that they need less than the market is projecting. They already have the stamping and paint shop, not to mention the factory itself. Increased delivery rate means an increase of the ABL availability. $400 million of free loans in 2 weeks doesn't hurt either. Elon mentioned a mixture of loan and stock, so I'm not seeing billions and billions of dilution. Just my 2 cents though.

Am I just dreaming or didn't they say they estimated $750M was required on the Earnings Call?

They clearly said they were upping CapEx from $1.5b by 50% - so another $750M - and that was to take them up to production readiness in Summer 2017 parts pending. Any reason to imagine there could be serious OpEx spend in 2016 to take a proportion of $750M into the I invent need for $billions?

I really don't think so. This is a nonsense news cycle. Not the run up to an imminent raise at all.

Yes CapEx will mess with FCF in Q3 and. Q4 but so what? Profits will be there and Q2 remains a blow-out quarter on all counts.

The whole capital raise thing is optional to restore the ABL on a whenever conditions suit best basis.

Most likely still looking at full-on DTU with GF unveil or Q2 as the entry.

I have a question. It seems to me from reading on this board that the capital raise is potentially the single most important factor in the near term, at least until we get delivery numbers for Q2 in early July.

Obviously, Tesla needs a large amount of money on the order of several billions to fund the Model 3. Here are the possibililties I see:

1. Elon chooses to do a capital raise now. The share price is roughly 207-208 ish which is lower than the 242 SP on the last capital raise. This would represent a "down round" which would dilute shareholder value. As far as I know, Elon has never done this before in any of his companies. Do you see this as a possibility? Why didn't Elon raise before the Q1 CC when the stock price was approaching $270? Do you think he thought that the share price would increase after the revelation of a goal of 500K cars in 2018. Or does he have another plan?

2. Elon chooses to wait till after Q2 delivery numbers which, if good, could elevate stock price. Do you think this is a possibililty or is it too risky given that macro situation could crash and share price could actually drop further.

3. Elon sells a minor stake in the company to a big player (e.g GOOG). Is this a possibility? Elon is of course good friends with Sergei and Larry. Tesla's CFO is from GOOG. A minor investment in Tesla would allow Elon to keep control and allow GOOG to put their money to a good use with potential for high reward. As you know, Larry Page once said he should give all his money to Elon when he dies. A 3 billion investment is a small amount of money for GOOG but would turn this ship around in no time. Most importantly, it would provide TSLA with an extremely powerful ally which, in my opinion, may be necessary to combat large interests such as oil, car dealers, car makers, etc. I believe this would also send a signal to the shorts that Tesla will survive and fluorish and most will cover immediately leading to short squeeze.

Related question: If a large company takes a minor stake in Tesla, does this have to occur at the current share price or could they do it at a higher price (say 250 or 300) and avoid a down round of financing. Obviously, when companies completely buy out other companies, the acquisition price is typically higher than the share price. Does this also apply for minority stakes? Of course, the price will go much higher just on announcement of such a partnership.

I thank you in advance for your insight.

Great post, I agree with most of your thoughts. Here's a few things I can add onto your points:

1. I agree that Elon is definitely trying to avoid a "down round" of funding, because that would be his first in over 20 years of managing multiple companies. I believe that he came to the conclusion that Tesla will advance their 500K delivery target by two years in the week or two following the Model 3 reveal, when the stock was above $250. He probably thought announcing that Tesla is now doubling their already courageous goal would help boost the stock even higher, which of course it did not. He now may be hesitant to raise capital at these levels.

2. I think Tesla set the bar relatively low with the 17K Q2 delivery guidance partly so that the stock has another positive catalyst, but mainly to regain credibility in regards to guidance. They need to remind the market that they have underestimated both demand and production schedules in the past, and that they can actually exceed projections, rather than coming up short every time. Gaining the market's trust will be the single biggest mover of the stock in the next year or two.

3. A larger company taking a minority stake in Tesla is a very ideal scenario, but I just don't see who it would be. Like you said, Google is realistically the most plausible, given Elon and Larry's friendship and Google's history of investing in long-term projects with potentially high returns (i.e. SpaceX and SolarCity). I do not think this will happen simply due to a conflict in interest. Just my opinion here.. but I think Google has been spending years and tons of capital on autonomous technology to disrupt the service industry. Their autonomous technology is too expensive to become mass-market, but would still prove to be a great investment if they can reap benefits from ride-sharing or possibly commercial trucking objectives. I think Tesla is also aiming to go after these industries, which is why they are the only one of Musk's companies they haven't invested in. Apple is in the same boat - conflicted interests. I hope I am wrong and Google steps in with a big investment, but that is probably wishful thinking.

4. Simple answer to your follow-up on minority investments: Yes. Although it's not a minority investment, GM bought Cruise Automation just a couple of months ago for over $1 billion when the company was last valued at only $100 million Cruise Automation Looks to Expand. It's harder to find premiums for minority investments, but it is possible. Getting a large and successful firm to invest in Tesla at a premium would give investors an enormous amount of confidence.

IMO the best possible fundraising scenario is as follows:
-Tesla closes a debt deal, worth $1.5B, with amazing terms that they would never have received without the outstanding M3 reservations.
-Tesla announces over 500K total reservations at the stockholders meeting on May 31. They probably saw a spike in reservations after announcing that new reservation holders have a good chance at getting their car by 2018 and don't want to miss out on any tax credits.
-By now, the downward trend is reversed and the SP is moving up rapidly. A large company sees a massive opportunity to invest at these levels and doesn't want to miss out before the stock gets too high - they invest $2B for a 5% equity stake in Tesla.
-The company now has an enormous cash balance and got there quickly without seriously diluting shareholder value. The market now sees Tesla as less risky and more credible with their guidance as they continue to execute, which sends the stock to an ATH. They then raise another $1.5B from the public markets after the stock stabilizes in a new trading range above $300.

So including deposits, remaining ABL, and current cash balance, Tesla would have around $7 Billion in cash on the balance sheet - an entirely different scenario from where we are today. I know Tesla said they don't want to rely on deposit money as a source of cash, but they still can if they want to. This is of course just a dreamy best-case scenario, but one that's not entirely out of the question.

Last edited:
Haven't read this yet, so ignore me if this is not what IEX is proposing but I do want to point out that any market without automatic algo market making means much wider spreads and worse prices and liquidity to retail investors.

For all the crap high frequency trading takes in the press, there are a whole lot of benefits from it. There are almost certainly bad actors doing things they shouldn't be, but keep in mind market manipulation is illegal and these firms are under tons of regulation and scrutiny. It's even a violation to not have tools in place to detect irregularities even when a firm hasn't caused any.

Tldr; high frequency trading is not the evil thing people assume it is and it doesn't harm retail investors. It does however allow skittish retail investors and traders to cause a ton of volatility because of the increased liquidity.

Listen to the following 20 minute NPR interview about HFT firms and the "Flash Crash"
Episode 396: A Father Of High-Speed Trading Thinks We Should Slow Down

HFTs have been putting electronic Market Makers out of business as they do not need to play by the same rules (e.g. always maintain a two-sided quote). HFTs give the 'illusion' of more liquidity, but in market volatility they can so easily disappear as what happens in these 'flash crashes'

It is finally good to see the mother of all HFT firms (Citadel) being formally investigated as reported just a few days ago:
Exclusive: U.S. investigates market-making operations of Citadel, KCG

However, I am afraid it will not go anywhere as they are so in bed with the SEC already and did everything they could to deny IEX's exchange application a few months ago.

P.S. There is a gentleman on twitter anyone interested in the effects of HFT on the markets should follow: @nanexllc

• Informative
Reactions: DaveT
Haven't read this yet, so ignore me if this is not what IEX is proposing but I do want to point out that any market without automatic algo market making means much wider spreads and worse prices and liquidity to retail investors.

For all the crap high frequency trading takes in the press, there are a whole lot of benefits from it. There are almost certainly bad actors doing things they shouldn't be, but keep in mind market manipulation is illegal and these firms are under tons of regulation and scrutiny. It's even a violation to not have tools in place to detect irregularities even when a firm hasn't caused any.

Tldr; high frequency trading is not the evil thing people assume it is and it doesn't harm retail investors. It does however allow skittish retail investors and traders to cause a ton of volatility because of the increased liquidity.

I'm not buying that. The HFT system is pretty clearly documented in the book to cause costs to the little people. Read the "Flash Boys" book and its hard to come away not seeing them as parasites on the system.

Someone on this thread early last week (can't find it now) mentioned that there was building activity on the next module of the Gigafactory. This is the only place I've heard anything about this, and expected more follow up discussion. I've been lagging behind the posts, and thought I would run into these discussions but never did.

Does anyone have any additional data that suggests construction on the next module of the Gigafactory has begun?

They haven't finished the first section yet. There are about 600 construction workers presently completing the first section. When the first section is done (or nearly done) work should commence on the second section. Perhaps we'll learn the schedule at the annual meeting on the 31st.

Reactions: everman
IMO the best possible fundraising scenario is as follows:
-Tesla closes a debt deal, worth $1.5B, with amazing terms that they would never have received without the outstanding M3 reservations.
-Tesla announces over 500K total reservations at the stockholders meeting on May 31. They probably saw a spike in reservations after announcing that new reservation holders have a good chance at getting their car by 2018 and don't want to miss out on any tax credits.
-By now, the downward trend is reversed and the SP is moving up rapidly. A large company sees a massive opportunity to invest at these levels and doesn't want to miss out before the stock gets too high - they invest $2B for a 5% equity stake in Tesla.
-The company now has an enormous cash balance and got there quickly without seriously diluting shareholder value. The market now sees Tesla as less risky and more credible with their guidance as they continue to execute, which sends the stock to an ATH. They then raise another $1.5B from the public markets after the stock stabilizes in a new trading range above $300.

So including deposits, remaining ABL, and current cash balance, Tesla would have around $7 Billion in cash on the balance sheet - an entirely different scenario from where we are today. I know Tesla said they don't want to rely on deposit money as a source of cash, but they still can if they want to. This is of course just a dreamy best-case scenario, but one that's not entirely out of the question.[/QUOTE]

What is the latest number Tesla has alluded to? Around 400k towards the start of May, i believe?

Reactions: DaveT and gene
I'm not buying that. The HFT system is pretty clearly documented in the book to cause costs to the little people. Read the "Flash Boys" book and its hard to come away not seeing them as parasites on the system.

I agree.

Perhaps I'm too gullible in support of Home | IEX Group | A Market That Works For Investors. But it is dedicated to the buy side and already has a list of subscribers who are a "whose who" of large traders, like Bank of America, and many more credible. Further, they have lists of some comments about the problem and potential solutions which appear credible. One of their board of directors is "Dr. James H. Clark, Ph.D.
Co-Founder Silicon Graphics Inc. / Co-Founder Netscape." Agreed, this is an argument by ethos. (My wife is getting an A in a public speaking class so I end up hearing many of her practice sessions.)

I'll repeat this question again since I think most people didn't see it. Has anyone heard anything about the Gigafactory opening party? If you've received an invite can you say if you had to sign a NDA for any info about the event? (Is there such a thing as an NDA for info about the date of an event or any other info provided?)

I think I remember it being mentioned that it would be at the end of May. The shareholder meeting is either on or around May 31st. I don't see a specific date anywhere be Google says its on May 31st or June 8th (estimated).

Based on historic precident, would Elon make this event before or after the shareholder meeting?

I agree. The last official word from Tesla, I believe, is that the party will be held "in the first half of 2016" which could mean June 30th.

I have a friend who 'earned' an invite to the GF party based on his model S referrals. I posted part of the note he received about two weeks ago about 100 pages:cool: ago...give or take 20!. The letter clearly stated the GF party would be in the first half of 2016.....so Yes, end of June is probable.

He has heard nothing since that last correspondence.

We are just about halfway through Q2 '16, and Tesla will likely announce quarterly deliveries sometime in early July. If the Model X numbers indicate a high rate of steady Model X production, I suspect that the stock price could rise in anticipation of a good quarterly report in August.

That might provide the boost needed for a large capital raise via secondary offering.

Reactions: SBenson
For this reason I believe that they may be working very hard as we speak to broker some kind of deal in the spirit of your option #3, i.e. some kind of more traditional sale of a minority stake or some more unorthodox metod of raising capital outside of the typical general credit markets.

Agree, I've been thinking along these lines ever since they announced the new Model 3 production plan. Suspense is killing me, and the share price as well ;)

As far as 'max pain' for tomorrow. Looking at the chart there is little difference between 'the pain' at 205, 210, 215, 220.

maxpain

Status
Not open for further replies.