Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bank of America bought Merril Lynch for $29 per share in 2008, had they waited a week or two, the price might have been less than $10.

To be fair, that was really the company taking one for the nation at the urging of the Feds.

Actually, Mr. Lynch is being quite bullish. They have been ranging between 25% and 50% lower than the stock price, so in 2013, if you quadrupled their price target, you were about right. In 2014, they raised their price target to $65 and re-iterated it in early 2015, so again a quadruple works out. Last summer, they went too bullish and tripled their target to $180, which would really be $720, which was clearly too bullish. So now, instead of being 25% off the price target, they are merely 50% off the price target. It is curious to downgrade from $180 to $155 due to cash burn... after all, that cash is being deployed to grow the company and therefore the revenues dramatically. But still, if one of the most ardent bears goes from 25% off to merely 50% off, that's remarkably bullish. After all, nothing has truly changed since their research note in 2013 when they set a $39 price target. They just didn't believe the growth trajectory. Here's what they said in 2013:

"While nothing is impossible, particularly with Elon Musk at the helm, we believe these assumptions warrant a healthy degree of skepticism."

• Funny
Reactions: Buran and Lessmog
Bank of America bought Merril Lynch for $29 per share in 2008, had they waited a week or two ,
the price might have been less than $10.
They also withheld from shareholders pertinent information on Merril Lynch's valuation. But, they were under the gun at Treasury to cut the deal. Or else, I don't know. Hank Paulson was in charge then.

• Disagree
Reactions: Drax7
What, you think it will take a whole 4 months? Are you trying to call Elon Musk a liar or something? MODS?!

Trust me. Once I got 12 out if 13 games correct in the weekly fotball betting back home in Sweden. I was very young so I must be a prodigy. Obviously I know what I'm talking about.

To be fair, that was really the company taking one for the nation at the urging of the Feds.

Actually, Mr. Lynch is being quite bullish. They have been ranging between 25% and 50% lower than the stock price, so in 2013, if you quadrupled their price target, you were about right. In 2014, they raised their price target to $65 and re-iterated it in early 2015, so again a quadruple works out. Last summer, they went too bullish and tripled their target to $180, which would really be $720, which was clearly too bullish. So now, instead of being 25% off the price target, they are merely 50% off the price target. It is curious to downgrade from $180 to $155 due to cash burn... after all, that cash is being deployed to grow the company and therefore the revenues dramatically. But still, if one of the most ardent bears goes from 25% off to merely 50% off, that's remarkably bullish. After all, nothing has truly changed since their research note in 2013 when they set a $39 price target. They just didn't believe the growth trajectory. Here's what they said in 2013:

Bears Sterns was pushed on to JP Morgan Chase . Lehman was left to collapse. Merrill was not
Forced onto anybody. BAC thought they were getting the bargain of a life time at the time
Of the deal.

Are you kidding me? It hit 216.59? Why am I so bad at this?

Not saying you're bad - but this is a volatile stock. If you're trying to predict it daily, you're gonna have a bad time (except maybe a few people on here - but they're clearly high strung and fighting with each other).

Come in for it long and skip the ups and downs or be ready to accept substantial losses of your lunch.

Trust me. Once I got 12 out if 13 games correct in the weekly fotball betting back home in Sweden. I was very young so I must be a prodigy. Obviously I know what I'm talking about.

My first business was age 10 hauling daphnia pulex from a pond and selling it to aquarium stores. By the time I was 12 years old I had built my first fully electric vehicle (my bicycle, converted with a car battery and a starter motor). By age 25 I was on to my second company that would go on to be sold for over $1 million and I was earning more than $200K per year in today's money. I lived on Baker Street in the middle of London England in the same block as Peter Ustinov. It had two doormen twice my age who called me sir. Three hundred guests and a full DJ set attended my 25th birthday party - in that apartment. Not exactly a broom cupboard. Broke the suspension of my Jaguar hauling beer for that party, so I bought a new Porsche 928 GTS instead. Left college and a job in South Africa mining platinum with student debt like everyone else - except for the mining platinum bit which I guess most people don't do. All true, photos to prove it. Like to think I figured out a few things in the twenty years since then. I have never played poker, not even once and personally I think online gambling is a pox on society.

Johan. I predict you are a prodigy (and I'm pretty sure the other guy has issues).

Your's truly's first three cars aged 23-25 (note, silver spoons: zero).
JC_Cars.jpg

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? It hit 216.59? Why am I so bad at this?
99.9% of people are terrible at short-term market timing. Hey, I am too. I have some shares with a basis of $280.

I'm not bothered because I'm not a short-termer, I'm doing long-term investing. It's also hard, but it's much easier than market timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.