Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone concerned about a buy the rumor sell the news type of event?

Yes, I was concerned so I exited all my short-term calls today for a tidy gain--but mainly because I was over leveraged to begin with.

The timing of the announcement (immediately following conclusion of after hours trading) and the repeated delays (waiting for some dd to complete? deal to finalize? model 3 reservation milestone?) lead me to believe there may be significant market-moving news in this afternoon's post, so I may have just left a ton of money on the table.

Regardless, I'm certainly way less anxious right now and you can't put a price on that. And my January calls will gain if there is indeed some new material news. They have enough time left on them to weather some volatility before what should be a gangbuster Q3.

Core shares intact as always.

Just in time for SMP2, positive news from NHTSA head Mark Roskind on Autopilot and the NHTSA's attitude toward regulation of self driving technology:

Tesla Autopilot crash won't halt self-driving car development, NHTSA says - Roadshow

Despite a fatal crash involving a Tesla Model S being driven by its Autopilot feature, the US National Highway Transportation Safety Administration's (NHTSA) head Mark Rosekind insisted that the government would still work to promote self-driving cars by providing a framework in which develop can continue.​

"No one incident will stop the NHTSA from promoting highly automated driving development," said Rosekind during his keynote address at the Automated Vehicles Symposium here in San Francisco. Although he did not name Tesla specifically, his mention of "a recent incident" was a clear reference to the Tesla Model S crash last month.​

Rosekind insisted that the US Department of Transportation is taking a "forward leaning" position on highly automated driving. He justified that by citing the 32,500 traffic fatalities that occurred on US roads in 2015, and how 94 percent of those were due to driver error. He said that highly automated driving could eliminate 19 out of 20 collisions, potentially saving 30,000 or more lives per year.​

The NHTSA will be releasing a document later this year giving automakers and state regulators guidance on highly automated driving development, with the intention of fostering the technology.​

Rosekind suggested that the NHTSA was willing to accept imperfect technology during development of highly automated driving because of its vast life-saving potential. He also said, however, that the NHTSA would not accept technology that was merely as safe as human drivers.​

Just in time for SMP2, positive news from NHTSA head Mark Roskind on Autopilot and the NHTSA's attitude toward regulation of self driving technology:

Tesla Autopilot crash won't halt self-driving car development, NHTSA says - Roadshow

Despite a fatal crash involving a Tesla Model S being driven by its Autopilot feature, the US National Highway Transportation Safety Administration's (NHTSA) head Mark Rosekind insisted that the government would still work to promote self-driving cars by providing a framework in which develop can continue.​

"No one incident will stop the NHTSA from promoting highly automated driving development," said Rosekind during his keynote address at the Automated Vehicles Symposium here in San Francisco. Although he did not name Tesla specifically, his mention of "a recent incident" was a clear reference to the Tesla Model S crash last month.​

Rosekind insisted that the US Department of Transportation is taking a "forward leaning" position on highly automated driving. He justified that by citing the 32,500 traffic fatalities that occurred on US roads in 2015, and how 94 percent of those were due to driver error. He said that highly automated driving could eliminate 19 out of 20 collisions, potentially saving 30,000 or more lives per year.​

The NHTSA will be releasing a document later this year giving automakers and state regulators guidance on highly automated driving development, with the intention of fostering the technology.​

Rosekind suggested that the NHTSA was willing to accept imperfect technology during development of highly automated driving because of its vast life-saving potential. He also said, however, that the NHTSA would not accept technology that was merely as safe as human drivers.

This is the great part: "...that the NHTSA would not accept technology that was merely as safe as human drivers."

That is the correct perspective to have. It also shows the future is written: there will come a time when we debate whether it's ok to let people continue to driving manually and the answer will be no, it is too unsafe. (I also predict US 2nd amendment style "take my car from my cold dead hands" emotional politics)

My view is that some part of the squeeze (40%, 60%, or 80%?) will be temporary. I think smart guys on Wall Street are miles ahead of us in plotting their game plans to maximize profits.

The only thing that is certain this time though, unlike previous short squeezes, is the timeline. That timeline hinges around effective date for voting on the merger deal. The short squeeze related SP peak has to be on the effective date. Agree?
I think that the peak will come, at the latest before the vote. All of the institutions that are pulling shares to vote will become lo have their shares by then. A few hapless shorts will probably still be facing margin calls (e.g. fairytales and flawed logic) but by that time quite a few longs will be helping to finalize an historic transfer of wealth.

And thanks vgrinshpun for the useful information!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TMSE
I was hoping it would be a few days later. I expect the SP to go up after the Gigafactory opening, when the world sees cells being produced like "bullets out of a machine gun." Hopefully at the opening, they will talk about how much better and cheaper Tesla cells are, and about 3 more production lines coming on line by the end of the year. That should send the SP skyward. But I'm expecting Q2 earnings to cause a reversal, with most of August trading flat into mid September, when talk about Q3 delivery numbers on October 3rd start to raise the SP once again. After that, I expect it to keep climbing with Tesla Energy becoming a money maker, in addition to a strong Q4 from S and X.

hot_shots_part_deux-2-2.jpg

Basically, no matter what is in SMP2, as long as the longs hold, the shorts are screwed. It comes down to the weak longs to not sell.

However, because I do not trust my fellow compatriots, I bought a small protective put position with weekly $215 and $217.50 puts. Which likely guarantees that the stock will end up doing nothing, making a slew of calls and puts expire worthless.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Basically, no matter what is in SMP2, as long as the longs hold, the shorts are screwed. It comes down to the weak longs to not sell.

However, because I do not trust my fellow compatriots, I bought a small protective put position with weekly $215 and $217.50 puts. Which likely guarantees that the stock will end up doing nothing, making a slew of calls and puts expire worthless.

I bought some 220 puts as protection...then got greedy and bought 10 240 calls for $0.39 each!! Lottery tickets...

Some people are expecting the Solar City merger to tank the stock. They are stating it is "uncertainty" as to the reason why we are not already tanking. In my opinion, anybody who wants out due to the upcoming merger is already out. Elon suggests 2/3 are for the merger. I am definately looking at it in a positive light. Hold tight and let the action begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.