Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

From that article:
"Our six-hour drive route took us 235 miles from Monterey, California, south to Santa Barbara, largely along the scenic coastal Route 1." (EDIT: Route 1 or PCH is a 55mph road, but large sections are closer to 30-35mph)

240 miles/6hrs = 40mph. Now they did jump on to 101 for a bit, but the more I read the other first drive reviews, the more it looks like GM selected a low speed route to maximize range/efficiency and give a good first impression.

They used 58.7kWh and averaged 4.1miles/kWh or 245Wh/mile. Impressive that the usable battery capacity is near 60kWh, but hard to make anything out of efficiency numbers given the low speeds.

From that article:
"Our six-hour drive route took us 235 miles from Monterey, California, south to Santa Barbara, largely along the scenic coastal Route 1."

240 miles/6hrs = 40mph. Now they did jump on to 101 for a bit, but the more I read the other first drive reviews, the more it looks like GM selected a low speed route to maximize range/efficiency and give a good first impression.

They used 58.7kWh and averaged 4.1miles/kWh or 245Wh/mile. Impressive that the usable battery capacity is near 60kWh, but hard to make anything out of efficiency numbers given the low speeds.

40mph model s can drive 450 mile

Reactions: Lessmog
Hi Dave! Yeah I don't see volume battery production an issue for the Bolt. Production will slowly ramp and LG Chem (and possibly others) will have plenty of time to add new plants online. An example, it only takes LG Chem 18 months to make a new battery factory (LG Chem plans to build electric car battery factory in Poland - source). BYD and Samsung SDI have aggressive plans as well. They will scale battery production to match EV demand.

Good info, wonder if the Gigafactory machine concept has better economics than small scattered ones?

Fire Away!:rolleyes:

Reactions: Lessmog and dha
Nope, GM,Nissan, and LG Chem have been burned before on rosy plug-in sales projections leading to idle workers and factories. Meaning heavy losses.

Tesla is jumping out of the plane with silk fabric and nylon thread confident they can figure out making a parachute before a hard landing.

Well, I do not agree that Tesla is jumping out with silk fabric and rope. It is pessimism at extreme.

Tesla didn't just rely on some demand estimate, It asked people to reserve with $1000 deposit upfront. 400K reservation is not an estimate, but a customer commitment with refund option anytime. Doesn't people standing in line for hours to put in deposit look commitment to you? Tesla derisked demand uncertainty with this move, and all that is left is timely execution.

If you truly want to estimate demand, let me throw one: just double the current reservations, and you have 800K M3 demand/year at steady state. Well, my estimate is probably worth what you are paying for it, zero. Clearly, Tesla is playing safe too by increasing manufacturing capacity in stages.

I couldn't easily find similar information for radar, probably because it is not so expensive that price is seen as a barrier to widespread adoption. Also with 500k M3's per year I'm sure that Tesla can get a good price. Maybe they plan to design and fab their own in order to drive the cost down.

MitchJi referenced the lidar field in the above post.

LeddarTech | Mastering LiDAR Sensor Technology already claims $50 cost for their existing lidar sensor and a vastly improved one for around $100 in their next version.

I predict Chevy will sell every Bolt they can make.

I predict it will take at least $5k discounts for GM to sell 30k Bolts in 2017.

2017 Volts already have a $5k dealer discount here in Los Angeles. Dealer discount, Factory cash back or equivalent subsidized lease.

On a separate point.

Bolt is in a different class than Model 3.

About three classes downmarket but at the same price or at a $2500 premium.

Actual transaction prices will have to go way down to actually move the metal.

2017 Volts already have a $5k dealer discount here in Los Angeles. Dealer discount, Factory cash back or equivalent subsidized lease.

On a separate point.

Bolt is in a different class than Model 3.

About three classes downmarket but at the same price or at a $2500 premium.

Actual transaction prices will have to go way down to actually move the metal.

When you goto dealer check 37.5k bolt

suddenly you found a same car chevy sonic starting at 15k

then a much better malibu only 20K a chevy SUV only 24K a buick enclave only 35K

What will you choose

Range while driving at speeds between 40 and 60 mph is not real.

It appears that the Bolt battery is larger than 60 kWh, it apparently has 60 kWh usable capacity, which means that after assuming 5% anti-bricking reserve its nominal capacity is actually 63kWh. The article has a picture of the dash display showing 58.7 kWh used over the drive of 240.2 miles

Well said. You must also be wondering who are all the "stupid" people buying 4 door sedans for $20K to go from point A to point B, when they could be buying a top of the line P100 for $150K. Its only $130K more to accomplish the same task, but seriously, if they don't have $130K more to spend for basic transportation they need to jump off a cliff. And, who are these morons buying what they want with their own hard earned money when they should be asking you for car buying advice?

I think Chevy bolt is a competitor of Nissan leaf instead of Model 3.

It's a small car, it's not visually appealing, and the brand name "GM" is less sexier than Tesla. It's unlikely people will drop their Model 3 order and go with Bolt. And how safe the car and the battery pack is, is yet to be seen.

And I really doubt that GM can make a profit from selling Bolt, given the cost of the big battery and low volume.

Anyway, It's good that GM now have a full electric car that can compete with Nissan Leaf.

Bolt competes with Prius because the Bolt gets the carpool sticker in California and the Prius doesn't (non plug-in versions), which is a really big deal.
Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers
Bolt competes with Prius because the Bolt gets the carpool sticker in California and the Prius doesn't (non plug-in versions), which is a really big deal.
Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers

Only in CA...

It can only eat some leaf market share in CA

Fair enough. I didn't say they were going to make any money on them ;). Either way, it should steal most new Leaf sales, and other 80-100 mile new EV sales, as those vehicles are similar price. Plus it will probably get lots of Prius buyers in CA, just for carpool stickers alone. The Volt is another one that puzzles me. It probably should be outselling the Prius (50 miles electric range + similar gas MPG, and better driving), but is nowhere close in terms of sales.

Well there you have your squeeze. Almost a two dollar increase in the last 45 minutes.

Let's see if there's life left in the recall tomorrow. Obviously, this is not looking like a big deal so far. My guess is that some brokerages with 0 shares available to short (like Fidelity) are doing some recalls and other brokerages such as IB are not. This offers died-in-the-wool shorts an option of changing brokerages in order to maintain a short position, but many will not do so.

Hmm, wool shorts... that strikes me as an uncomfortable situation to be in.

Tesla didn't just rely on some demand estimate, It asked people to reserve with $1000 deposit upfront.

We are among the first 15,000 plus reservations for two M3's, one of which we could buy now without saddling my 40 year younger wife with much debt. I would really like an MX and we may buy one if TSLA goes up substantially within a year or so. Social security says I have 8.7 years *statistically* to live which I don't expect and certainly don't count on. In the worst outcome my wife should keep at least one of the M3s forever as a collector's car; she'll be rich. Imagine the Pebble Beach concours d'excellence of 2050, "a pristine 2017 Tesla M3 75D scarlet red, with air suspension, autopilot, and a hand soldered signature by Elon Musk in an inaccessible part of the chassis!" (They will learn to advertise eventually.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.