Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarCity Accused of Taking Shingled-Cell Module Secrets

SolarCity Corp., the rooftop solar developer controlled by Elon Musk, was accused of misappropriating trade secrets and other intellectual property in a lawsuit over the development of shingled-cell solar modules.

SolarCity got a head start in developing the modules after Cogenra Solar Inc. shared its shingling technology for manufacturing solar panels, according to a lawsuit filed Monday in San Francisco federal court. The suit also names SolarCity’s Silevo unit as a defendant.

"It was only by misappropriating Cogenra’s proprietary technology, including its trade secrets and other intellectual property, that SolarCity and Silevo were later able to announce a claim that they set a new world record for solar panel energy efficiency," Cogenra said in the complaint.

Khosla Ventures III LP, which owned about 80 percent of Cogenra from 2009 to 2015, is also a plaintiff in the case.

A SolarCity spokesman didn’t immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment on the lawsuit.

The case is Cogenra Solar Inc. v. SolarCity Corp., 16-cv-05481, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California (San Francisco).

That's going to sting. Interestingly enough, couldn't find a reference anywhere to SolarCity and Cogenra ever having partnered. The closest I got was an article that happened to talk about both in the same article: Cleantech Financial Funding Month in Review

Take a hypothetical example. Say if I as an investor lend out my TSLA shares at say 5% interest and thereby generate an income of approx $200k per annum on a TSLA position of say $4 million at current stock price of approx $208
Now if the interest rate goes to 14% like today, I'll generate $560k per year or if the stock goes to $250 then I'll accordingly get higher interest. So why on earth would I ever sell my TSLA stock because a. I get a super nice passive income of anywhere from $200 to $500 k per year by doing nothing except holding my stock for long term appreciation
b. It allows me to pay all my taxes plus cover margin c. The higher the stock price goes the more money I make
d. I can reinvest my income from stock lending and buy even more shares
I think either short sellers are delusional or egomaniacs or both
still, I love the fact that short sellers want to short TSLA so badly
I just filed my lending paperwork with Fidelity today and I'll keep you guys posted as to how it goes
I've been investing in stocks for a long time and this boggles my mind. Just never read the mechanics of lending to shorts... Actually didn't even know this is how it works. In another story My professors when I did finance (many classes) at Purdue are turning over in their graves.

Take a hypothetical example. Say if I as an investor lend out my TSLA shares at say 5% interest and thereby generate an income of approx $200k per annum on a TSLA position of say $4 million at current stock price of approx $208
Now if the interest rate goes to 14% like today, I'll generate $560k per year or if the stock goes to $250 then I'll accordingly get higher interest. So why on earth would I ever sell my TSLA stock because a. I get a super nice passive income of anywhere from $200 to $500 k per year by doing nothing except holding my stock for long term appreciation
b. It allows me to pay all my taxes plus cover margin c. The higher the stock price goes the more money I make
d. I can reinvest my income from stock lending and buy even more shares
I think either short sellers are delusional or egomaniacs or both
still, I love the fact that short sellers want to short TSLA so badly
I just filed my lending paperwork with Fidelity today and I'll keep you guys posted as to how it goes
I've been investing in stocks for a long time and this boggles my mind. Just never read the mechanics of lending to shorts... Actually didn't even know this is how it works. In another story My professors when I did finance (many classes) at Purdue are turning over in their graves.

I guess the flip side is Tesla has actually been a great stock for shorting for the "smart" shorts. I'm not sure what percentage of shorters do it on the thesis that Tesla is going to go bankrupt etc., and what percent say hey they're making a big deal out of the cars catching fire I should short that, but the latter group have had a lot of great opportunities since Tesla is so volatile, although I wonder what the former group is thinking and if there are many still holding on.

Just a small data point here, but a friend of a friend of mine has just bought their MS. As reported here by others, Tesla is pushing hard on its discounts that will end at the end of this month, and likely won't repeat this method for a very very long time (maybe never again?). The receipt attached to this post shows a few dashed lines, some of the dashed lines on the receipt are freebies that Tesla threw in as options. Also, their sales team stated that it has been epically crazy the last few weeks ;)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    823.3 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: JBRR
I guess the flip side is Tesla has actually been a great stock for shorting for the "smart" shorts. I'm not sure what percentage of shorters do it on the thesis that Tesla is going to go bankrupt etc., and what percent say hey they're making a big deal out of the cars catching fire I should short that, but the latter group have had a lot of great opportunities since Tesla is so volatile, although I wonder what the former group is thinking and if there are many still holding on.
The big risk in shorting a stock like TSLA is that you never know when the next big move is coming. It looks great in hindsight but I get enough stress being long this stock that I can only imagine that it would take a special kind of person to short this dude and sleep well at night. Remember, a short has limited profit potential and unlimited downside while a long has limited downside potential and unlimited upside

Is it possible for a brokerage (say Fidelity) to short a portion of their own long shares as a hedge? Thought I read about it somewhere. Figure they wouldn't have to pay brokerage fees and interest, since they "lent" themselves their own shares to short (and wouldn't violate naked shorting rules).

Obviously lending to shorts is safer, but wondering if they can do that too.

Also since it's getting to the end of the quarter, wouldn't the funds prefer not to lend out their shares to short to bring up their share price and thus their overall market value?

The big risk in shorting a stock like TSLA is that you never know when the next big move is coming. It looks great in hindsight but I get enough stress being long this stock that I can only imagine that it would take a special kind of person to short this dude and sleep well at night. Remember, a short has limited profit potential and unlimited downside while a long has limited downside potential and unlimited upside

I really thought Trump would win. He lost the debate which is super bullish for Tesla. There is absolutely no chance we do not end positive tomorrow. Great night for $TSLA longs. The haters should be praying for a Trump victory.

Reactions: mrdoubleb and MikeC
Tsla forming a beautiful hollow red doji/ inverted hammer on quarterly chart with 4 more days to go
This is an excellent reversal candle
I'm super excited to see how the rest of the week turns out
What the chart is telling me is that this stock is highly likely to make a big UP move starting next quarter which is next week and ties in neatly with Q3 delivery #s to be released next weekend
All in all this is the time to sell the boat, second mortgage the house and bet the farm on TSLA
Jk!
(Not)

Tsla forming a beautiful hollow red doji/ inverted hammer on quarterly chart with 4 more days to go
This is an excellent reversal candle
I'm super excited to see how the rest of the week turns out
What the chart is telling me is that this stock is highly likely to make a big UP move starting next quarter which is next week and ties in neatly with Q3 delivery #s to be released next weekend
All in all this is the time to sell the boat, second mortgage the house and bet the farm on TSLA
Jk!
(Not)

Can you post a chart of what you're seeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.