Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A note from experience. Both the culmination of the merger, and the fact that this is a short holiday trading week, will make TSLA in particular have low volume and volatile price. The shorts may exploit that. If you have outstanding stop-loss orders, you might be susceptible to "flash crash" moments. I'm not a pro, and not making a recommendation, but I would definitely not leave stop loss orders open this week. If you can't be watching the market, just sit tight.

I think the SCTY stock will convert after hours tonight.

Noticed my schwab SCTY shares are not trading. Figured they are converting today. Damit if tesla goes up today do we loose out on that?

What do you mean? You'll get a certain number of TSLA shares, which is calculated from the number of SCTY shares you held, regardless of the price of TSLA or SCTY for that matter. So you're not missing out on anything. The ratio never had any connection to the real time pricing of either stock.

TSLA has been following NASDAQ general trajectory this morning, except you saw plateaus in TSLA at 187.50, 188.0 and 188.50 as shorts capped but the caps didn't hold. Both NASDAQ and TSLA peaked a few minutes ago, but TSLA dropped as shorts started selling. Tesla caught itself and is back up again. NASDAQ was up 0.66% but is up 0.59% now.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and madodel
Damit if tesla goes up today do we loose out on that?

NO!!! You simply get about 1 TSLA stock for every 9 SCTY stocks you owned. It's as simple as that. Doesn't really matter what day or time the conversion happens. If TSLA goes up 5% before the conversion, your assets will still be worth 5% more when you finally get hold of the TSLA stocks.

RE: the market... when will today's short attack begin? It certainly hasn't started yet...

NASDAQ halted trading in SCTY before market open, in preparation for delisting.

Nasdaq Files for Delisting of SolarCity (SCTY) Shares

Form 25-NSE SOLARCITY CORP Filed by: NASDAQ Stock Market LLC

I haven't paid to get access so I can't read the whole article. The official reason for trading halt is "information requested by NASDAQ", which is awfully vague.

I'm not sure when the conversion to TSLA stock (100 sh SCTY->11 sh TSLA) takes place, but today is extremely likely. Just hold your horses, if you have SCTY stock now, you'll have TSLA stock soon.

If you owned odd shares of SCTY which would leave you with a fractional share of TSLA, I have no idea what price you'll get for it.

Reactions: sundaymorning
Except what happens when the SP goes to $280-$380? That is going to happen, possibly in January or February.
Ehem, you are right. My post said "instead of buying an itm call sell an otm put and equivalent stock"

It SHOULD have said "instead of buying an itm call, buy an otm put and equivalent stock". In this case the resulting payoff graph is the same as the itm call but you will have paid considerably less spread.

Just called the OIC.

They said that if you exercise your SCTY options today you will receive shares of TSLA.

Tomorrow the symbol name will change to TSLA1 options which could be more difficult to sell to close.
Exciting. I didn't know the OIC had a phone number I could call to ask questions like this!!! Care to share? I can't find a phone number on their website.

Reactions: kelevra
Exciting. I didn't know the OIC had a phone number I could call to ask questions like this!!! Care to share? I can't find a phone number on their website.
800-678-4667
I called the CBOE and asked those questions and they told me I needed to call the OIC, and gave me the phone number.

Just called the OIC.

They said that if you exercise your SCTY options today you will receive shares of TSLA.

Tomorrow the symbol name will change to TSLA1 options which could be more difficult to sell to close.

Thanks Mitch. I have JAN 18 SCTY calls @20. If TSLA1 is difficult to sell to close, does it make sense to just exercise, buy 11 TSLA @ 181.81? Seems like a good deal to me, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.