Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to have someone from OZ, corals are very sensitive to fluctuations in temperature. A 1-2 degree difference can ultimately mean disaster. Although 25,000,000 Ozzies would equate to only .0025% of the world's population, this means Australia is absorbing coal at a very astounding pace. Given that the coral reef tourism industry makes up $5 billion of revenue per year for Australia, it can spell disaster to other businesses related to tourism. I hope your prime minister would reconsider as Australia has some of the world's most precious and highly sought after corals.

If Ozzies went 100% green, it would mean a reduction of about .05 - 1 degree to the rise of global temperature, as it stands, every little bit counts helps...

Tesla is not here to make changes overnight, we're hear making progress one car at a time.

Did you mean 0.05 to 0.1 degrees? 1 degree seems like far to much of a change for a 1.5% change in CO2 production. As far as i have read in the news most models expect a maximum temp increase of 4-5 degrees from all global production - although I am certainly not an expert in the area.

But i agree, every little bit helps. I cant wait for the powerwall to reach full production as it is already cost effective for many Australians given our high cost of electricity. Regulations won't be the driving force when the economics work by themselves.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Here is Spiegel's presentation. No longer worried. He had nothing new in there. I thought his presentation would be way better than this based on Tilson's comments yesterday http://www.tilsonfunds.com/TSLA-Spiegel-RH16.pdf

Is that seriously the presentation Spiegel did ??

So.. This guy gets a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to present at a paid conference to an audience of successful investment professionals (who paid $7.500,-- to attend) about the subject he has been passionate to-an-unhealthy-degree on for the past 6 years..
And THAT is his presentation ?? It that from The Onion ?

For those who have not browsed through these slides yet, I will save you the time and possibly prevent you from sudden-death-by-boredom.

- Opening slide stating a well respected company is a zero.
- Referring to TSLA shareholders (must have been many in the room) as "Teslemmings" and "Teslarians"
- Making his point showing 152 (!) slides
- of which slide 8-46 showing website snapshots of other car makers
- Slide 49 - 63 showing website snapshots of other Battery makers
- Slide 66 - 106 showing website snapshots of other energy storage companies
- Slide 108- 125 showing website snapshots of other autonomous driving companies
- Slides 127 - 132 showing website snapshots of other EV charging initiatives
- Slides 133 - 136 : personal assumptions with no proof or even a reference
- Slides 137 - 149 : Yelling Elon Musk is a lying, misleading fraud.
- Building his case that Elon is a fraud by using Montana "anonymous-with-an-agenda" Skeptic and Paulo "GigaFactory-is-a Potemkin-Village" Santos as references to proof his point.

Slide 150 - 152 Finishing his presentation insulting SpaceX, a well respected and highly admired company that probably many in the room would be interested to invest in in an IPO. If only Elon would let them.

This is honestly by far the worst presentation I have EVER seen, and I have seen many, and given many.

I called Spiegel a clown in an early post.
I take that back, that was an undeserved insult, I apologize for that (to the clowns of course). Clowns are well respected professionals who know their public, do not repeat the same joke to the same public 130 times in one appearance.They give their audience a great time and do not try to bore their audience to death. Clowns are fun. Spiegel is.. no fun. He is simply sad.

If he communicated anything, it is that that the industry is confirming Elon's vision and that Tesla is out-innovating everybody and leading in several Trillion-$ industries.

Last edited:
However, we can already see substantive changes happening to this business model. German auto manufacturers are building battery factories. European manufacturers are joining to build charging infrastructure. And now the head of Toyota is going to take the reigns of the new Toyota electric car division. These are not compliance moves. These are real beginnings to a business model based on electric cars. Never would have happened without Tesla breathing down their necks.

1) German auto manufactures are talking about one day building battery factories. VW Group CEO says it MAY be a good idea. Daimler Benz sold their itty bitty battery factory.

2) The German Car companies plus Ford have said they will build 400 stations in Europe for highway travel. WTF is Opel? They are the only "German" car company with an imminent vehicle capable of long distance travel and a member of CCS. Why not make a commitment to North America or Asia? Tesla has 755 stations world wide NOW. Almost double.

3) Mr Toyoda is leading 4 engineers in the newly created Toyota BEV Group.

What we have is compliance moves and TALK plus Press Releases.

I browsed through the so called presentation, well wow just wow, any 12 year old could do better, seriously. It is literally not possible to do a worse job than that. I would like to hear a firsthand opinion how he delivered the presentation and what the reaction of the audience was. To pay 7'500 USD and hear such a thing ?

The premise of the Spiegel presentation is easily refuted.

By somewhere 2017/2018 Tesla will own 30-50% of automotive cell/battery production. The Tesla cells will be better and have lower cost then the competition. This lead can be sustained for several years with Gigafactory 2, 3 ...

This implies that Tesla growth cannot be hurt by competing BEV's, no matter how many different models are thrown into the market.

The "eye" on the ball is not BEV competion, - it is taking chunks of market share from the very popular car segment of mid range luxury ICE cars, with model 3 and Y.

And this will hurt.

I browsed through the so called presentation, well wow just wow, any 12 year old could do better, seriously. It is literally not possible to do a worse job than that. I would like to hear a firsthand opinion how he delivered the presentation and what the reaction of the audience was. To pay 7'500 USD and hear such a thing ?

He refers to that download on tilsonfunds.com in his tweets, so these are indeed the slides.

And he also has a video :

upload_2016-12-1_12-44-46.png

Don't think he will make it available to us, so we will miss out on his joke. (or maybe we didn't :rolleyes: )

Its amusing that the CEO of Daimler Benz is wearing jeans and sneakers to look cool
And hip when presenting their electric car.

To overcome their uncool cars, they now wear jeans .
They are seriously threatened .

LOL - it probably took 3 fashion consultants and board of directors approval to arrive at that outfit.

John Peterson is back at Seeking Alpha criticizing Tesla for incompetence in cobalt supply chain management. Time for a rally.
Well, the supply of Co is a pretty serious concern, much worse than Li. I doubt Mr Peterson has any large amounts lying about?
Wonder if it would be feasible to extract Co from the oceans? Over 40 years ago i heard about harvesting Mn "nodules" from the ocean floor, and practically every element is present in sea water. That would be a more peaceful alternative.

2,300 of the world's leading scientist signed letter warning Trump of climate change. The list also includes 22 Nobel Peace Prize winners:

2,300 Leading Scientists Send Trump A Clear Warning: We're Watching You | The Huffington Post

Trump once also signed such a letter: Trump asked for 'meaningful' climate change policy in 2009

“As business leaders we are optimistic that President Obama is attending Copenhagen with emissions targets,” the 2009 letter states.

“We support your effort to ensure meaningful and effective measures to control climate change, an immediate challenge facing the United States and the world today,” it continues. “Please allow us, the United States of America, to serve in modeling the change necessary to protect humanity and our planet.”

The letter states that the clean energy demand from climate action “will spur economic growth” and “create new energy jobs.”

Also:

Politico reported last month that his company applied to build a seawall at a golf club in Ireland, citing rising sea levels from climate change as the main reason it is necessary.

He also sent a $5,000 donation in 2014 to Save Our Winters, a climate advocacy group, according to the New York Daily News.

Tesla Motors, Inc.'s Small Misses on Big Targets Set the Stage for Huge Growth -- The Motley Fool

Tesla Motors, Inc.'s Small Misses on Big Targets Set the Stage for Huge Growth

Here's why Tesla's vehicle production growth is faring better than you may think.

Daniel Sparks

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:31PM

One of the biggest criticisms against electric-car maker Tesla Motors' is the company's tendency to miss delivery targets. While the automaker is undoubtedly growing rapidly, Tesla has missed its initial guidance for vehicle deliveries for two years in a row -- and there's a chance Tesla could end up underperforming its initial annual target again this year.

However, considering just how ambitious Tesla's annual targets are, the automaker's ability to ramp up production isn't necessarily a weakness. This has been particularly evident recently, as Tesla is very close to hitting its initial 2016 delivery target, which represented management's most ambitious growth objective yet.

Missing targets
"[W]e plan to deliver 80,000 to 90,000 new Model S and Model X vehicles in 2016," Tesla said in its 2015 fourth-quarter shareholder letter. The target was aggressive; in 2015, Tesla delivered about 50,700 vehicles. Even the low end of this guidance, then, would require about a 58% jump in deliveries.

But Tesla lowered its full-year guidance after a slower-than-expected initial production ramp of its Model X SUV weighed on delivery growth in the company's first and second quarters. In a July 3 press release detailing the company's second-quarter deliveries, Tesla said it now expected full-year deliveries to be closer to 79,000.

Management similarly decided to reduce full-year guidance for vehicle deliveries in both 2014 and 2015.

In 2014, Tesla initially set out to deliver 35,000 vehicles. But worse-than-expected production growth led management to reduce guidance to "approximately 33,000" units in the third quarter of 2014. And actual deliveries for 2014 ended up at about 32,000.

In 2015, Tesla first targeted "approximately" 55,000 vehicles. But a delayed Model X launch prompted management to reduce guidance to 50,000 to 52,000 vehicles. By the end of the year, Tesla had delivered close to 51,000 vehicles.

These missed targets may have some investors growing wary of the company's guidance.

A weakness or a strength?

Given Tesla's reoccurring theme of falling short of annual guidance in recent years, it's easy to conclude that the company's outlook for vehicle deliveries can't be trusted. But some context shows why investors may want to overlook this apparent fault.

First, investors should realize that Tesla's misses were on big targets. A zoomed-out view of Tesla's production reveals staggering growth, making missed annual targets appear less pertinent to a criticism of the company's growth story. In 2013, Tesla delivered just over 20,000 vehicles. Today, Tesla is delivering vehicles at an annualized run rate of about 100,000 units.

Further, total deliveries in 2013, 2014, and 2015 are only about 5% lower than the total of each year's initial guidance during this period -- not bad for a company growing this fast.

Second, despite a slower-than-expected initial production ramp-up of its Model X during 2016, there's still a reasonable chance Tesla could meet its initial guidance range for the year. In order for full-year deliveries to come in at the bottom of Tesla's initial guidance range, fourth-quarter deliveries would only need to be about 5% higher than management's guidance for the quarter.

Viewing Tesla's impressive ramp in vehicle deliveries between 2013 and 2016, and considering Tesla has only slightly underachieved its own initial annual expectations during this timeframe, the company's ability to grow production and deliveries is probably better defined as a strength than a weakness.

Of course, if Tesla's fourth-quarter deliveries somehow come in lower than expected, this optimistic view of the electric car maker's ability to ramp up production may be worth revisiting.

Tesla's ability to increase production and deliveries today is more critical than ever as the company prepares to bring its much higher volume Model 3 to market next year. With the help of Model 3, Tesla is planning to increase annual production from an estimated 80,000 vehicles this year to 500,000 in 2018.

Of course Elon has always maintained that he does not envision Tesla monopolizing the automobile industry.

It may happen by default as Tesla is making a superior product and becoming a superior brand with a system (drive and charge) that just works together seamlessly.

I view Tesla as having a very good chance of becoming the iPhone of cars. Maybe not majority share, but majority profits. Apple.

With the rest of the car companies becoming Android. Maybe the majority, but lower end, fighting for profits. Samsung. Google.

With definitely 1 or 2 of them, hanging on to the flip phones of cars (ICE) too long, and being bought, or fading away. Nokia, Blackberry.

Status
Not open for further replies.