Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has China been known for successfully implementing what it may have stolen from existing in country automotive OEM's? I'm not aware of any Chinese made copies that are a serious threat to the products of other OEM's, but maybe that's just my lack of knowledge.

China is the OEM for basically everything made in China. All your appliances toys, computer stuff with foreign brands are made in Chinese companies. The only thing that really is left to be replaced in the west is Cars and Planes (they make better trains in asia). And they haven't cared about international market because theirs is growing so fast. China is trying to recruit western pilots because they are adding new planes and flights so fast.

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 12.58.41 PM.png

that's why I called $208 earlier.

View attachment 207045
that's why I called $208 earlier.
Trying to understand what you're showing here - why does your time axis seem to show uneven divisions of time on the right edge (Thursday on right edge is much wider than any other time bracket and the leftmost Friday is weird and missing its Thursday (is that one US Thanksgiving weekend?))

If I'm reading your graph right, the major divisions are $10 SP increments, and it looks like the overall pattern should hold around 208 until about Friday morning when the rising trendline collides with it, at which point either we'll have another up day to the tune of a several dollar jump, or we break the trend.

If this rising trendline continues with a jump on friday though, it will likely plop us right in the arena of the 200 day SMA at around 213-214, which could result in more technical traders piling on.

EDIT: Also interesting, the slope of that rising trendline is almost exactly $10/week.

Last edited:
An article with a warning for being short TSLA on SA. Well, it is very relevant for most of the commenters and authors there. But I doubt they will take its advice serious.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/403...&utoken=81b0bcbddbb40ba6b26c99e663d71d3a#alt1

40% of float.. wow.

And what to think of this statement in the article :
"What isn't valuable to the investment community is "fear, uncertainly and doubt" FUD mongering. And that's what some manipulative short sellers, and their hired bloggers, have perfected their trade on unfortunately. And even highly moderated sites suffer from coordinated attacks. So on a site that vets postings from members before actually posting, the quality of discussions are high. Unfortunately, it appears that some crafty posters get vetted and given "automatic posting" privileges and they can start abusing the system by posting unmoderated comments. On SeekingAlpha, one of the best investment discussion site on the Internet from my perspective, some Tesla posters are out of control and my bet is these are affiliated with shorts sellers or competitors. "

Anybody checked the temperature in hell ?
(Actually I think several of the articles there are even worse than the most rediculous of the comments).
P.S. montana, (I know your read my comments here) I am pretty sure you are one of several he is referring to.

Last edited:
To the Model 3 profitability doubters ...

3 fast reasons why cost is lower for a Model 3 than a midrange Audi/BMW/MB:

Model 3 is not expected to finance $xxx for advertising/marketing.
Model 3 is not expected to linger a couple of months on a lot, as dead capital, accruing $xxx in interest.
Model 3 is not expected to be sold at some $xxx discount from MSRP, a discount everybody knows and expects.

No doubt there are more.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/403...telsa-november-buying-december-driving-prices

Likely the best article I've read on SA. It outlines FUD mongering, forum trolling, the massive short interest in TSLA, the fallacies that shorts have used to justify their thesis and a likely reason for the squeeze: A lack of GM Bolt as Tesla killer. I'm not sure I can recall the last time we had such a positive atmosphere for Tesla.

Has China been known for successfully implementing what it may have stolen from existing in country automotive OEM's? I'm not aware of any Chinese made copies that are a serious threat to the products of other OEM's, but maybe that's just my lack of knowledge.
Not automotive but there were fake Apple stores in China selling fake Apple products for awhile until Apple got the Chinese government to finally close them down. Copying others' IP is something that seems to be easy to do especially if you can source parts or at least the specs direct from the factories that are subcontracted making parts for the real thing.

That was my point. From what I know Chinese branded autos don't come close to those from other OEM's.

I realize the reporting from CNBC isn't always perfect. However, I've seen numerous reports from CNBC reporters that cover the auto sector saying that the build quality of Chinese autos has been laughable historically. Yet, in the last couple of years they have narrowed that gap. I think we would be naive to think the Chinese cant figure out manufacturing given enough time and incentive.

My base point is Model-3 should NOT be rolled out on poor margins. That would be disastrous and be a very bad start. What excuse will Musk make to ask more money from the market? Oh, I'm building another factory or two? while not being profitable?... As you say, he is not stupid, he won't go that route.

Let's look at profitability first. Last quarter Tesla went from losing ~$20K per car produced in Q2 to a small GAAP profit. They did that with <2% increase in GM. How? Because they increased volume 70% and all of the non-Cost of Sales expenses (R&D, G&A) got spread over the additional margin $$ generated by that volume increase. My point is that so long as the GM on M3 is positive it will contribute to improving Tesla's profitability, especially with the expected dramatic volume growth.

Here is my opinion on what factors will most impact the stock price, in decreasing order of importance:

1) The quality of the Model 3 is much better than S or X at the time of early customer (not employee) deliveries
2) Production of the Model 3 commences with the delivery of at least several thousand units in 2017
3) The production ramps rapidly in 2018
4) The gross margin of Model 3 improves each quarter
5) The gross margin of Model 3 approaches the target of 25%

Last edited:
I realize the reporting from CNBC isn't always perfect. However, I've seen numerous reports from CNBC reporters that cover the auto sector saying that the build quality of Chinese autos has been laughable historically. Yet, in the last couple of years they have narrowed that gap. I think we would be naive to think the Chinese cant figure out manufacturing given enough time and incentive.

China is perfectly capable of manufacturing high-quality products. The notion that anything made in China is low-quality cheap crap is naive and outdated.

There is however a culture difference, and it is important to understand when working with Chinese manufacturers that being specific about requirements is important. They will alter designs and produce a poor product if it is not made very clear which requirements are critical design components and cannot be altered. A high-quality product from China is difficult to get, but not impossible, and comes with a suitably more-expensive than cheap-crap-from-china price tag.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Here is my opinion on what factors will most impact the stock price, in decreasing order of importance:

1) The quality of the Model 3 is much better than S or X at the time of early customer (not employee) deliveries
2) Production of the Model 3 commences with the delivery of at least several thousand units in 2017
3) The production ramps rapidly in 2018
4) The gross margin of Model 3 improves each quarter
5) The gross margin of Model 3 approaches the target of 25%
I can't agree more with with the first point here. Quality is so important for Model 3. Higher quality means less customer returns/service center burden. Not only it would have lower costs in warranty, but also increases the capacity of delivery/service of existing service centers so money can be saved from building more centers and hiring more staff.

It's only a matter of time...

Not sure when the original idea of dropping the requirements for foreign EV manufacturers but my guess if recent has to do with Trump's threats. Maybe China realized it can not continue that policy.
No way this is the result from Trump's threats. "One China" policy as with other issues related to sovereignty is at the top of the list not only for Chinese government but Chinese people. It's equivalent to "democracy" in US. Kissinger nailed this in a book of his several years ago.

I suspect this change is coming from the smog issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.