Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short Wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
I drove by our local Supercharger Sunday afternoon. Only 6 stations and I've never seen it full before. (I think it was people charging to drive back to the city after a weekend at the lake).
Anyway, I noticed that my car display showed a "clock/timer" symbol and when I tapped it, it said "Short Wait". Never saw that before.
I assume that Tesla could tell that at lease some of the cars charging were about finished so it knew they were about to leave.
Not sure if it knew if there were any cars waiting (I didn't see any) but I guess it would also know if there were other cars in the parking area waiting.

I saw that on the last trip I was on as well, so yes, it seems like a fairly new feature. I wouldn't read too much into if/what data they are using to determine this. I suspect it's a fairly generic message and at best determined simply by the number of cars they saw recently charging or navigating to the Supercharger and not on any detailed indications of charge rate among the cars actually charging.

I do think they could do a really great job of managing busy Superchargers and the resulting queue (like giving each car a place in line on their screens), but that is entirely wishful thinking that I honestly don't seem coming.

Reactions: Rocky_H and mspohr
I saw that on the last trip I was on as well, so yes, it seems like a fairly new feature. I wouldn't read too much into if/what data they are using to determine this. I suspect it's a fairly generic message and at best determined simply by the number of cars they saw recently charging or navigating to the Supercharger and not on any detailed indications of charge rate among the cars actually charging.

I do think they could do a really great job of managing busy Superchargers and the resulting queue (like giving each car a place in line on their screens), but that is entirely wishful thinking that I honestly don't seem coming.
It hasn't been much of a problem but may be in the future with more Teslas on the road and especially if Tesla opens up Superchargers to other EVs.

The "short wait" feature has been active for a couple of months. Usually there are cars in line. The question is...how does Tesla know? Speculation is that they know how many cars have navigated to the supercharger, so they know how many are waiting. Just speculation.