Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shortage of keys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of an inventory model X P100DL in San Francisco and only got 1 key to the car. We're not talking about a rental car here but a $130K+ luxury car! And I am prone to losing keys too... This is what my OA said:

I can absolutely understand the frustration, as we have had a few new owners feel the same way. We are currently experiencing a shortage of keys company-wide and are working with our teams to ensure we get a new shipment as soon as possible. The moment these come in, we will make sure to get you set up.
So no ETA for a second key and standard Tesla support answers: this is just the way it is, no apology, no compensation. I know it's a small thing but this is my second Tesla and well this is not surprising and I know this is very minor but still...

Well, I love the car so I'll stop complaining now :)

• Informative
Reactions: number12
Interesting.. I would think each car would *come* with the parts onboard for it, so it came that way from the factory? I, too, would definitely want a spare key around, whether or not I have two active drivers for it.

I'll see what I get when I (ever) take delivery....

Interesting!!! I just picked up my 75D in MA, and they said they LOST ONE OF MY KEYS so I only had one upon delivery.

They wrote an IOU for an additional key though. Didn't say when I would get it.
Sounds like they were just covering for the shortage. On a related note, both my Model X key stopped working after 1.5 months of ownership (not dead batteries). I just got them both swapped out for 'new' keys today. I say 'new', because they seem a little worn.

I just took delivery of an inventory model X P100DL in San Francisco and only got 1 key to the car. We're not talking about a rental car here but a $130K+ luxury car! And I am prone to losing keys too... This is what my OA said:

I can absolutely understand the frustration, as we have had a few new owners feel the same way. We are currently experiencing a shortage of keys company-wide and are working with our teams to ensure we get a new shipment as soon as possible. The moment these come in, we will make sure to get you set up.
So no ETA for a second key and standard Tesla support answers: this is just the way it is, no apology, no compensation. I know it's a small thing but this is my second Tesla and well this is not surprising and I know this is very minor but still...

Well, I love the car so I'll stop complaining now :)

Compensation is definitely something Tesla will never offer, no matter how bad the problem.

That's just not cool!

It was quite awkward for them. Because I had two delivery personnel with me. The first was going over a showroom car with us, as my actual car wasn't pulled in to the delivery bay.

Soon after, someone walks over with a box, and I said to him, "oh. That's for her" and pointed to my wife. To which the delivery guy with us said "oh don't worry. You both will get one" and the guy with the box started making these awkward gestures to ask him to stop.

He then came over and said "we are so sorry but we misplaced your other key, we will have one delivered to you ASAP".

Well, you always have your phone to unlock your S or X and even drive it.

Yes, it's a bummer that they don't have all the keys, but that's how the real world works.

Happened to VW as well, they had thousands of cars waiting for some screws to arrive from a supplier before they could deliver them.

UPDATE! - Funnily enough, after posting this, i got a call from Tesla. They are over-nighting me my second key as we speak. I "should" get it tomorrow.

Will update when i receive it. Now i am curious if i will get it in a second box, with the extra key chain.

We do have another alternative and that is the phone app. The app allows us to unlock and drive, practically does most of the functions the key fob does. So losing a key fob should not be an issue.
I look at the phone app as a useful back-up, but poor substitute for a primary key. It always takes at least a few seconds for it to connect and occasionally I cannot get it to connect. It also requires both AT&T and your cell provider to have decent service if you want it to work. And you cannot open individual doors using the app, only unlock & start the car. Obviously the app offers a ton of other benefits, but I'd much rather have the key for everyday driving. I would always be nervous about cell reception and phone battery life if all I had was a phone to unlock my car on a regular basis. Now if the phone could connect via Bluetooth like w/the model 3, that might be a different story. I wonder if Tesla will implement that for X owners since the X key already uses Bluetooth?