Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shortage of parts at Shanghai plant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw this, apparently there is a parts shortage and they are having to reduce hours or potentially stop altogether.

Bloomberg News
10 May 2022, 03:03 BST
Updated on10 May 2022, 05:03 BST
Tesla Inc. hasn’t halted output at its Shanghai factory, though it is experiencing some disruption to logistics amid the city’s long-running Covid-19 lockdown, a spokesperson for the U.S. carmaker said Tuesday.

Reuters reported earlier that output had halted, prompting Tesla to issue a statement saying it had received no notice of any Shanghai plant cessation and pointing out that some vehicles are still being made.

However although the shift is meant to be 12 hours, a shortage of some parts means most days work has had to stop after about eight hours, a person familiar with the matter said.

And while workshops at the EV maker’s China plant were operating on Tuesday, the situation is fluid and logistics problems may force production to cease later this week, the person said, declining to be identified because the details are private.

One of the problems stems from a shortage of wire harnesses from Aptiv Plc, which had to stop shipping supplies from a plant that supplies Tesla and General Motors Co. after infections were found among its employees, Reuters said.

Article link

Reuters confirmed it was only producing 200 cars today Exclusive: Tesla halts most production at Shanghai plant on Tuesday - memo

There will be a load of cars coming over this quarter but it’s going to impact the rest of this quarter and the next quarter.
From a selfish perspective, hope mines built and sat in a car park waiting to be loaded.

After 7 months of grief waiting for a Skoda Enyaq which I gave up on, could do with it going my way 🤣

Saying that, it is what it is and out of my control

Is anyone else concerned about what bits might be missing when their shiny new Tesla arrives😓
Honestly I was already expecting it based on their track record. Its on the list along with:
Built by homesick workers sleeping on the floor working shifts 50% longer than normal 6 days a week
Loaded onto a ship by under fed port workers ( google it)
Unloaded, prepped and delivered by under resourced over worked Tesla UK staff trying to delivery a quarters worth of vehicles in about 10 days

did I miss anything? I will be watching for feed back from the first people to take delivery and if its not good I might just sit out this quarter.

Honestly I was already expecting it based on their track record. Its on the list along with:
Built by homesick workers sleeping on the floor working shifts 50% longer than normal 6 days a week
Unloaded, prepped and delivered by under resourced over worked Tesla UK staff trying to delivery a quarters worth of vehicles in about 10 days

did I miss anything? I will be watching for feed back from the first people to take delivery and if its not good I might just sit out this quarter.
On the last point I don’t expect a huge amount of cars to be coming through. We are looking at 3 ships max coming over to supply all of Europe. I’m guessing a couple of thousand cars max for the UK for the entire quarter.

Seems that reuters either jumped the gun on little evidence / rumour or it's part of a short/distort attack. Reuters is unreliable and have been wittingly or unwittingly vectors in previous short/distort attacks.

Tesla have reportedly denied (China has active PR team, see image below).

Translated as
1652176745396.png

Seems that reuters either jumped the gun on little evidence / rumour or it's part of a short/distort attack. Reuters is unreliable and have been wittingly or unwittingly vectors in previous short/distort attacks.

Tesla have reportedly denied (China has active PR team, see image below).

Translated as View attachment 802464
Reuters didn’t say production had stopped. They said it has reduced to 200 cars a day due to part shortages.

Workers in factory reportedly prefer it to being locked in a tiny flat at home unable to get out the door, get decent food.
Are you saying all Chinese built cars such as BMWs are loaded by underfed workers?
Dedicated Tesla staff, knowing they are working for a company with a positive mission and (AFAIK) UK staff also get share options (although I've never seen it written about).

Almost every other UK job/firm seems to be rentierism gone mad, awful bean-counter-run companies or dodgy in some way. Whether it's bribing politicians to get PPE contracts, dodgy home-buying schemes that incidentally benefit big land-hoarding companies that have recently given big political donations or just dumping millions of tonnes of raw sewage into streams, lakes and sea. I'd choose Tesla to work for given those choices.

Reuters didn’t say production had stopped. They said it has reduced to 200 cars a day due to part shortages.
Reuters changed their story. They DID say production had stopped.

Many media companies serve up the same article with different titles in a kind of A/B testing to see which get most traction/clicks (but many more than just 2 choices). They might use info about you from 3rd parties to serve up positive, or negative headline.

Many also serve up initial articles, re-write them without any indication of changes. This is journalistically unethical, but happens increasingly.

When you click on the second link, you get the newer article.

1652177585184.png

Last edited:
Reactions: delta0
Almost every other UK job/firm seems to be rentierism gone mad, awful bean-counter-run companies or dodgy in some way. Whether it's bribing politicians to get PPE contracts, dodgy home-buying schemes that incidentally benefit big land-hoarding companies that have recently given big political donations or just dumping millions of tonnes of raw sewage into streams, lakes and sea. I'd choose Tesla to work for given those choices.

Good job you don't feel strongly about it !!

Good rant :)

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Exactly. And started hares running ...

The later article is marked as "update", but no forward-link (that I saw) on the earlier one

And of course all the wire-services that picked up the earlier one mean that's what most people see / find when the Google
Important point
  1. Short/distort campaign planned
  2. Media hit pieces lined up, some simply untrue, some speculatively written in case triggered by some likely news (interest rates, sales in first month in quarter, Elon controversial quote)
  3. Hit pieces released
  4. Picked up by other AUTOMATED outlets
  5. Picked up by "financial commentators" eg CNBC, FT
  6. Misinformation cascades
  7. Picked up by trading algos (volume of repetition is important)
  8. Picked up by human traders
  9. Effect on stock (share) price
  10. Evil cabal makes profits
  11. Sometimes hit piece articles re-written, redirected or deleted "as more information emerges" or to cover tracks.
  12. Repeat a while later
Cui bono - Wikipedia - "Who Benefits" from a crime

If it isn't obvious, almost all corporate media relying on clicks and advertising has to be treated as suspect.

edit: Apparently, at least one former hedge fund manager considers it "easy to do" thanks to "Bozo" reporters Short and distort - Wikipedia

It is of course illegal, but rarely investigated.

Last edited: