Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shortage of the standard foam Michelin tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So everyone will have to go with other brands from now on. Luckily people don’t seem to be telling much difference. What happens if we only need 1. I thought you shouldn’t have different tyres on each corner.

Unless the non-to-be-changed tyre is almost new, I'd be changing the pair anyway, even if I could get a single one to match.

Reactions: Neilio
I need two new rear tyres as tread depth 2mm. Seems to be a shortage of the standard Michelin foam ones that come as standard with the car. The ones Tesla quote about £265 each for or likes of Black Circels £165 each. Might be a Belfast / Brexit issue???

They have the likes of the Michelin Cross Climate + available:

Welcome to the Blackcircles.com Help & Support Centre

But don’t really want my front (4.5 tread depth) and rear tyres to differ....

4 Tesla supplied tyres for sale on this very forum -

FOR SALE

4 x Michelin Pilot Sport 4 18" Tyres - 67 miles NEW - Collect London

Hi
(selling for a pal who doesn't do social media or forums)
A pal has Just collected his brand new Tesla Model 3 with standard 18" aero wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres 235/45 R18 98 W. At 67 miles on clock he's had Cross Climates fitted so 4 x Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are for sale as virtually new. £350. Collect Beckenham London area.
I presume you can message me on the forum
Regards Paul
(Post in the for sale thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had two new non acoustic pilot sport 4’s put on the back yesterday and despite the technician saying the noise will be noticeably louder I cannot hear any difference whatsoever. He said the noise on bumps would be higher pitched ie a more hollow sounding noise but it really isn’t.

Reactions: M3noob
What’s the EU’s attitude got to do with UK customs?

The lack of planning is to do with a whole new import and VAT system being implemented on Christmas Eve.
My shipment was held in NL along with a ton of other stuff while HMRC figured out what to do about 1.4S Dangerous Goods. This was confirmed by TNT/FedEx and other couriers. Those who think that HMRC is without criticism know not of what they speak. Other non-DG goods from the same source arrived just a day later than before Brexit.

I had two new non acoustic pilot sport 4’s put on the back yesterday and despite the technician saying the noise will be noticeably louder I cannot hear any difference whatsoever. He said the noise on bumps would be higher pitched ie a more hollow sounding noise but it really isn’t.
I find that brand new tyres are notably quieter than fully worn tyres of the same type. So it doesn't really surprise me that new non-acoustic tyres might not be any louder than the worn acoustics they replaced. The acoustics wouldn't exist if they weren't objectively quieter. But it looks like the difference is less than that between a new vs worn tyre. So not that big a deal.