Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shortage of the standard foam Michelin tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need two new rear tyres as tread depth 2mm. Seems to be a shortage of the standard Michelin foam ones that come as standard with the car. The ones Tesla quote about £265 each for or likes of Black Circels £165 each. Might be a Belfast / Brexit issue???

They have the likes of the Michelin Cross Climate + available:

Welcome to the Blackcircles.com Help & Support Centre

But don’t really want my front (4.5 tread depth) and rear tyres to differ....

We changed our tyres for mitchelin primacy 4’s without the foam and haven’t noticed the difference in sound in the cabin
Did you have the pilot sport 4 on before? I was considering this switch as the primacy’s get pretty good reviews. Owners in the states said the primacys are really quiet last ages and have really low rolling resistance.

I just bought to 235/45 18 Pilot Sport 4s without the foam.

Based on a Car and Driver review and other owner comment of this parish, I don't expect to hear much difference but my bank account is considerably more boyant.

I got mine from Just Tyres. £333 for two including mounting and balancing. I bought a used road wheel and mounted one of the discards as a spare. First class service from the guys at my local shoppe.

Reactions: Adopado
Did you have the pilot sport 4 on before? I was considering this switch as the primacy’s get pretty good reviews. Owners in the states said the primacys are really quiet last ages and have really low rolling resistance.
Yea , still have the part worn set. We got the whole lot changed cause we didn’t get them rotated early enough. But would definitely recommend the pilot sport 4’s. There not as soft/sticky as the pilots but me and the wife haven’t noticed any real difference in corners or under braking. The primicys are just as quiet to us. There might be a little more low pitch noise on some road finishes but we’ve not noticed it.

We got the AA rated ones. There’s about 3/4 different varieties rating wise and the ones we’ve got on are the A rated for fuel efficiency and grip in the wet. Definitely recommend them.

Brexit is causing problems for supply for a lot of different products. Even high end bicycle tyres are getting hard to come by at the minute. Total disaster the whole thing.

Not so much Brexit itself but the lack of preparation of courier companies (DHL and TNT over Christmas were dire) and consignors that screw up their post new years paperwork. HMRC deserves a good kicking too. I just received TODAY a parcel from Germany sent 17 Feb. The EU's attitude has undoubtedly had an effect as evidenced by their vax embroglio.

Not so much Brexit itself but the lack of preparation of courier companies (DHL and TNT over Christmas were dire) and consignors that screw up their post new years paperwork. HMRC deserves a good kicking too. I just received TODAY a parcel from Germany sent 17 Feb. The EU's attitude has undoubtedly had an effect as evidenced by their vax embroglio.
What’s the EU’s attitude got to do with UK customs?

The lack of planning is to do with a whole new import and VAT system being implemented on Christmas Eve.

What’s the EU’s attitude got to do with UK customs?

The lack of planning is to do with a whole new import and VAT system being implemented on Christmas Eve.
little to do with preparation, you can’t have freedom of trade with the eu without being in the customs union. Nothing is going to change that.

before the new year you didn’t need customs declarations etc it’s only going to make trade slower and more expensive.

but it is what it is

I tried to book in with ATS today for a new set of rears on my M3LR. Got a call back to say that the earliest they could get hold of the Michelins was mid may!!! The chap was very helpful and has spoken with Michelin directly and a broker. He suggested calling Tesla direct to see if they could help (as its a company car he didn't want to fit anything other than the recommended). I have called the Bristol service center and booked in for Monday. They did say there is a serious problem with getting a lot of parts in from Tilburg at the moment as well as with tyres. They couldn't tell me whether they had the stock but will call me tomorrow to confirm if they do....

Got 2 x the primacy 4 (£265 for two) for the price of 1 x foam (£265 for one) . Fronts I’ll replace with primacy 4 later date
Don't mention that! the last time I said on here that I was happy to run different types of tyres front and rear I got crucified as a heretic.
Anyone would have thought I had suggested crossply and radial on the same axle (there's one for the oldies) :)

Don't mention that! the last time I said on here that I was happy to run different types of tyres front and rear I got crucified as a heretic.
Anyone would have thought I had suggested crossply and radial on the same axle (there's one for the oldies) :)
Never mind your fancy crossply/radial cocktail, just get yourself a couple of re-moulds.

So everyone will have to go with other brands from now on. Luckily people don’t seem to be telling much difference. What happens if we only need 1. I thought you shouldn’t have different tyres on each corner.