TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Shortcut for Turning on Lights

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by PianoAl, Jan 1, 2020.

1. PianoAl

PianoAl Member

Yesterday I was driving on a winding mountain road, and ran into some thick fog. I wanted the lights to come on, but I couldn't stop, and I didn't want to access the display screen.

Is there a quick way to switch them on?

2. webbah

webbah Member

Have you tried a voice command? “Turn on front fog lights”

3. PianoAl

PianoAl Member

Yes, I've tried things like "Turn on the headlights," but I will look into that. Does that work for you?

4. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

Leaving the headlights set to Auto seems to always work fine for me. Never really had the desire to adjust the lights other than what it does automatically for me.

Having said that, you could always activate the wipers to turn on the headlights for 60 seconds. Just a half-press on the wiper button on the turn signal stalk is all you would need. That would give you enough time to activate the autosteer function and “fumble” through the menus, which would only be two button presses on the center screen.

• Like x 2
  5. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

Two presses - first, the menu screen button, bottom left, easy to find. Then, second, on the quick controls screen that opens, headlights are at the top. Presumably you've slowed down enough so that doing this quickly won't be hazardous. Once you learn the car enough, finding these things is almost instinctive.

6. eevee-fan

eevee-fan Active Member

For fun, Elon should enable "Clap On" mode. :)

• Funny x 1
  7. PianoAl

PianoAl Member

Yes, I'm sure that's true. Partly, it seems that the buttons are too small, but I'm sure that will go away too.

8. SlimJim

SlimJim Member

I wish I could use voice command for the headlights on/off.
    When i park and sit in the car for a while, I always have to turn off the driving lights off manually.
    voice command would be so much easier.

9. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

I'd rather not have voice commands for important stuff like lights. I can just imagine my smartass teenager a few years back playing with that while I'm trying to drive.

10. tivoboy

tivoboy Active Member

Id like it for the fog lights at least.

11. SecretAgentMan

I definitely agree! A voice command for turning on the fog lights would be a great improvement for safety. So when you hit that patch of heavy fog, you can keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel. Although an even better improvement would be to use the cameras to detect fog and automatically turn on the fog lights and shut them off after leaving a foggy area, similar to the rain detection.

• Like x 1
  12. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Really?! If it's that much trouble for 2 finger taps you can always engage AP then do it.

13. PianoAl

PianoAl Member

Currently, I find it a little hard to tap exactly the right spot while driving and keeping my attention on the road. Hopefully it will be easier once I get used to it.

14. tivoboy

tivoboy Active Member

Well, technically start to finish it's about four. Vehicle Menu, click on lights (if not already on that menu), then fog lights, then click X to remove pop-up (or wait I guess maybe). I also do find it a tad more difficult to do while actually driving in fog but could certainly engage AP just to do this.

Or, I could just say "fog lights on" (or maybe just fog lights and it would switch state).