Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shortcut for Turning on Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leaving the headlights set to Auto seems to always work fine for me. Never really had the desire to adjust the lights other than what it does automatically for me.

Having said that, you could always activate the wipers to turn on the headlights for 60 seconds. Just a half-press on the wiper button on the turn signal stalk is all you would need. That would give you enough time to activate the autosteer function and “fumble” through the menus, which would only be two button presses on the center screen.

Two presses - first, the menu screen button, bottom left, easy to find. Then, second, on the quick controls screen that opens, headlights are at the top. Presumably you've slowed down enough so that doing this quickly won't be hazardous. Once you learn the car enough, finding these things is almost instinctive.

Reactions: Gasaraki
I wish I could use voice command for the headlights on/off.
When i park and sit in the car for a while, I always have to turn off the driving lights off manually.
voice command would be so much easier.

Id like it for the fog lights at least.

I definitely agree! A voice command for turning on the fog lights would be a great improvement for safety. So when you hit that patch of heavy fog, you can keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel. Although an even better improvement would be to use the cameras to detect fog and automatically turn on the fog lights and shut them off after leaving a foggy area, similar to the rain detection.

Reactions: tivoboy
Really?! If it's that much trouble for 2 finger taps you can always engage AP then do it.
Well, technically start to finish it's about four. Vehicle Menu, click on lights (if not already on that menu), then fog lights, then click X to remove pop-up (or wait I guess maybe). I also do find it a tad more difficult to do while actually driving in fog but could certainly engage AP just to do this.

Or, I could just say "fog lights on" (or maybe just fog lights and it would switch state).

"Open glovebox" - opens glovebox
"Play the song Let it Go from the movie Frozen" - plays the song
"Set climate to 20.5 Celsius" - sets climate
"Turn on fog lights"- command not supported
I’ve often thought the reason this could be missing is for safety, so as to not accidentally do it suddenly or unexpectedly while driving at night. I never tried the fogs, but the mains are similarly missing.

We have a ferry system between islands. They have signs asking us to turn off headlights, especially at night, during loading and unloading so as not to dazzle the workers directing cars on the boats. Most people with automatic headlights have no clue how to turn off the headlights. Tesla could help here.

Since I found out that headlights do NOT go on when windshield wipers go on and that even when both on auto, I have to manually turn headlights on to follow the law in FL. Ran into downpour and tried to do voice command to turn on headlights and found it only turns on dome lights. Not helpful when you need to be watching traffic and road as conditions deteriorate. Have to go into 2 different screens to turn them on. Safety issue. can’t believe I can do voice command for some strange options but not lights??? Either redo the firmware to have lights go on automatically when wipers are on or allow voice command for headlights.