Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shortcut to sport mode needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Loving the future!
I’ve had my 3 performance for 3 weeks now and haven’t stopped grinning yet!

My only real complaint is the ease of switching from chill to Sport mode . Does anyone out there know of a shortcut to switch?
It makes such a difference and one can often need to get into sport mode in an instant. I find that having to select via the screen quite dangerous and think it needs to be via a stalk or steering wheel function in one press.
A minor grumble is the auto wipers need to be more sensitive - they often don’t work until its almost impossible to see!

Other than that, wow, what car! I’ve had some crackers in the past but this is truly outstanding and only a software upgrade away from perfection!

Other than driving across Vacouver when I picked the car up, chill mode has been deselected. Rate of change of angle of right foot is mimicking its functionality and I can switch into sport mode using the same control. Not being glib - I don't ever want to be in chill mode again. In the same way that I never want to be on anti-depressants or beta-blockers again (TMI? :) ).

Leave it in sport all the time and modulate it that way. You don't want to get used to the acceleration in sport, put it in chill, then pull out in front of someone and forget you're still in chill mode and not be able to accelerate as quickly as the car can. Full disclosure - I have never used chill mode ever, so I have no idea how much it cuts power. I didn't buy the performance model to use chill mode!

Other than driving across Vacouver when I picked the car up, chill mode has been deselected. Rate of change of angle of right foot is mimicking its functionality and I can switch into sport mode using the same control. Not being glib - I don't ever want to be in chill mode again. In the same way that I never want to be on anti-depressants or beta-blockers again (TMI? :) ).
Brilliant!

Yeah, why ever take it out of sport? You can modulate the speed just fine with your foot. Seems like switching back and forth would be more confusing because the input of the pedal would change each time.

i tend to use chill in busy town traffic - just in case I sneeze and shoot into the car in front!
You are absolutely right though, switching does make you think more about your driving. Underlying the common response to my question, is that everyone is just loving the driving experience - it really is something else isn’t it?!

Leave it in sport all the time and modulate it that way. You don't want to get used to the acceleration in sport, put it in chill, then pull out in front of someone and forget you're still in chill mode and not be able to accelerate as quickly as the car can. Full disclosure - I have never used chill mode ever, so I have no idea how much it cuts power. I didn't buy the performance model to use chill mode!
Me neither but I guess it depends how far you have to go on a trip.
Flicking it into sport just gives me that buzz every time - my daughter says she can see me grinning constantly whilst driving - Tesla just brings happiness to drivers!

A "push to pass" button might be good for some. I have it in sport all the time but switch to chill with creep mode for parking sometimes...

Generally, it would be great to be able to customize the steering wheel controls. I thought this was supposed to be coming sometime?

this is something i asked the tesla guy on my M3P test drive last week.

I have an audi rs3 just now and there is a button on the steering wheel to switch between 'comfort' and 'dynamic'.
that was needed as dynamic is so loud i always wanted to switch to comfort when arriving home in the evening or going to meetings but with the tesla noise isnt an issue so i will always be in sport!

Personally I never bother with chill mode. You can fine tune how fast you want to go just fine in regular. Switching back and forth seems like you're just asking for trouble (think you're in chill, slam the go pedal and realize you're actually in regular when you plow into someone).

Reactions: poolmeds
I have a snow/ice profile setup with chill mode and low regen. Finding that Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3 Plus don't do well enough in slick conditions with all of the torque and the regen, car breaks lose all too often. Going to actually buy a set of winters this year.

Couldn’t find with post it was, but someone said they worry about sneezing and slamming into the back of another car in traffic.

make sure the “object aware” acceleration is turned on (I think that’s what the feature was called anyhow). It really neuters the car if it thinks something Is in the way.

I used to switch back and forth lots between chill and sport or normal, but over time I just sort of forgot chill existed. Even with a new baby in the car, after owning the car for almost a year I can modulate the the throttle with pinpoint precision note. Note I drive in new “baby chill mode” while the car stays in sport.

on long trips I have been known to put the car in chill just to make for a super smooth drive, but even then, I’m on autopilot, so it doesn’t really apply.

• Informative
Reactions: poolmeds