Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shortcut to toggle Chill Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it is very easy to speed in the PM3. I've tried the speed limit alerts and the visual one isn't very useful. I had to look at the owners manual to find out what exactly changes visually. I was expecting something like the blue wave for AP or even the speed numbers changing colors. Nope, the speed limit sign barely get bigger. Not useful.

I then switched to chime. While more helpful, it gets irritating as many speed limits are incorrect so it's false alarming frequently. It could be a bit softer in the notification.

So with all that said, I have been driving in Chill mode. I like it but it's a bit lethargic even when you mash the pedal so pulling out on a semi blind curve or something makes me want to toggle it off. But bringing up settings, driving, etc. is far too many steps to do.

Is there a shortcut I'm missing? I couldn't find a suitable voice command and tapping CHILL above the speed limit doesn't do anything. I could set up a SPORT driver profile but that's a bit overkill.

If there isn't a shortcut, what's the proper way to suggest one to Tesla?

Reactions: Deal
I too would like an acceleration profile that accounts for the current speed limit. I don’t need the ability to accelerate from 0-60 in 3.5s in a 25mph school zone, but I definitely want it on the highway. It would be great if there was a mode that enabled full acceleration up to 33% above the current speed limit (for passing), and reduced/tapered acceleration after that. Or maybe just an option to limit acceleration in residential zones?

For now, the best you can do is setup two driver profiles, with all settings identical except for chill mode. I expect Tesla to add speed limit sign reading to mid-2019, which should help.

Last edited:
Good suggestion. I’d hope they’d add this to voice control so I can say “Sport mode” and be done with it.

Totally agree, functions like that would make voice activation of them extremely useful while driving. Taking your eyes and concentration off driving to make any changes is never a good thing, so we'll make it a safety request ;) if we can find the best way to submit it.

Good suggestion. I’d hope they’d add this to voice control so I can say “Sport mode” and be done with it. Where do I submit suggestions? Anyone know?

+1 on this idea – I'm hoping Elon will add more support for voice commands to enable/disable features in the car like drive mode, climate temperature, following distance, speed etc.

As others noted, I've created a new driver profile named "Chill mode" and have all the same settings as my main profile but with "Chill" driving mode on.

Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr
I too would like to see a shortcut to toggle between "Chill" and "Standard" acceleration modes. I normally drive in Chill mode. I find the acceleration more than adequate for most driving situations, appreciate the more-gentle acceleration, and it must add at least a modicum of range extension. But when driving on rural roads having relatively short passing areas, I would like to be able to easily toggle between modes by, for example, double-clicking the right steering wheel control. This way I could switch to Standard mode, quickly pass a vehicle in front, and then switch back to Chill without ever taking my eyes off the road.

Reactions: saltsman
What I would like is something like the way eco mode was implemented in the Leaf (or was it B mode? - those memories are happily fading away). The accelerator mapping was changed so that something like the first 80% of travel was reduced power but it ramped quickly after that so you could still get full acceleration by flooring it without changing any other settings. It might take some tweaking to avoid being too abrupt with the amount of power present in a Tesla, but something like this would let you stay in chill mode but still punch it if needed.

Reactions: saltsman
+1 Have taken to chill mode as it's more appropriate for around town and suited for autopilot. Autopilot in sport mode is actually kind of terrible.

Maybe car automatically goes into chill when any form of autopilot is activated?

Just saw the E-Tron review and putting this on the shifter makes a lot of sense.

Maybe toggle D again to turn it on and off.
Subsequent right-stalk down toggles (both half and full press) are already assigned to engage TACC and EAP.

I do like the idea of retaining existing function of the full-press down toggle for TACC & EAP and use the half-press for toggling Chill Mode.

Really just 100% throttle is probably the best solution. If I'm flooring it I probably don't want to be in Chill mode anymore. Maybe add a time threshold ( > 0.5 seconds) to prevent accidental disengagement.

Just feather in the extra power so it's not too abrupt of a transition. Car reverts to chill next time you park.

I keep my P3D- in Chill Mode for "normal" daily driving. I really don't find it that sluggish. It's still faster than any car I've owned and many on the road.

If you feel you can't drive "safely" in Chill, it's because you've learned to drive to aggressively.

Owners of Prius, with the slowest accel on the planet (all 97 HP) survive. They learn to drive within their means.

The problem is, you know, in your head you could get a ahead of the semi. You need to learn to let him go ahead.

I was kind of concerned that Chill Mode would be to easy to switch out of. Because by the time I have switched over it would be to late to do something stupid. And with it Off I have done a few stupid things, and in hindsight I'd say to myself wow, that was stupid dangerous move, because I could. If it's to easy to switch off it sort of defeats the purpose. It's labeled appropriately, you need to just "Chill" :)

I only take it out of Chill Mode to have some deliberate fun. Never to do something "aggressive". At least I try hard not to. I don't do it often so my brain develops muscle memory in what the car can normally do (in chill mode).

I can't tell you how many stories I've read or heard that go something like "My wife doesn't like driving with me".

Well, having such a shortcut is not a bad idea, I used to drive a BMW 3 series, where I only had to pull the gearshift of the automatic gearbox towards me to get into sports mode. Even if I was in ECO mode. It is just very practical, sometimes you want that bit of extra power, and you don't have time to run through the menu...

I don’t find this car even remotely difficult to drive slowly. Just stay out of the right pedal. Haven’t even considered putting it in chill mode, haven’t had a problem driving it like a granny when I need to.

Is it the temptation that’s the issue? It’s too easy to drive it fast/feels like your going slower than you are? Or are you guys really finding it that difficult to modulate the right pedal input?

Well, having such a shortcut is not a bad idea, I used to drive a BMW 3 series, where I only had to pull the gearshift of the automatic gearbox towards me to get into sports mode. Even if I was in ECO mode. It is just very practical, sometimes you want that bit of extra power, and you don't have time to run through the menu...
Well, one screen tap will do it. Just have another driver seat setting. I have a Snow Day setting, which is "chill" and low regen, and my seat moves back a little, because presumably I'm driving with boots on because of the Snow.